I have 1600 Pro 256mb from Sapphire and exactly same problem with drivers. With any of 6.x series - Video crashes very often.Cooling system is ok, no overclock. Probably some wrong default settings for 6.x drivers. Works fine with 5.13.
ATI game crash
No, I never overclock video cards.

First I thought that it's due to overheating. Before the patch, sometimes the game crashed after driving the FOX car for 1 or 2 hours. When I attended league races, I even cooled the video card manually. There's no special cooler attached to the card, only the right side panel of the computer is taken off so that more clean air gets in the inside of the computer.

Overheating was never a problem though in any applications.

Now that the game has been patched, I can hardly finish a lap with any car! I doubt that it's due to overheating reasons. I will try to install version 5.11 of the radeon driver.
ATI game crash solution
For ATI users: I have downloaded and installed Catalyst version 5.11 and the game seems to work fine so far. I have raced for around 1 hour, which is a huge improvement compared to crashing in every lap. If the game freezes with this driver too, I will send a message here.

It is a good compromise to use version 5.11 drivers until the problem is fixed.
new game crash
The game froze again with the 5.11 Catalyst drivers too, while the RADEON 9600 PRO was not even warm.

I will drive with a GeForce2 MX 400 until the bug is fixed.
No problems for me with the 6.4 driver on my Ati X850XT.
Framerate has gone up since the patch to about 145 fps.
Wish my laptimes improved as much as my fps ;-)
Zsolt Nagy, what's about other games? Seems like old drivers can not crash longer than new ones.. I'll try the Omega driver - mb this will help =\
I don't have any problems with other games. On a bug report forum thread, It's clear that I am not the only one who has this problem.
im using a lousy graphic card(ati radeon xpress200 hypermemory up to 128mb of vid memory), 256 mb ram and 6.4 catalyst drivers and im getting the same fps as him. tips on which graphic card to buy now?? im kinda confused now with the fps issue.
Hi all,
You all probably checked your GPU temp and you got normal temp like no overheating but the card can be still overheating.
You forgot on something important...the memory on your graphic card can overahet as well!!!

And sometimes to very poor performance you see with a lot of cars around or at start,,,,its your CPU which is slow.

Still its really weird as I read thru this thread that ATI has somehow buggy drivers.The reason I didnt decided to go for ATI is the .NET CCC.The most awfull thing which I ever saw.
You dont have to install the CCC, I havent done this on my notebook (Im not crazy am I :P)

To get back to those crashes: What happens when you limit the FPS drastically? This will avoid overheating in almost all cases. Also, be sure that no kind of anti aliasing or anisotropic filtering is enabled in the control panel.
Another reason for crashes could be fast writes or write combinig. You could try to set to AGP 4x - there is no noticable performance loss compared to 8x.
Well I have just got 6.4 and all the writing is blurred cannot read at all, yet BF2 is sound and this is on a 9250! So I am going to try 5.11!
Quote from Zsolt Nagy : When I attended league races, I even cooled the video card manually. There's no special cooler attached to the card, only the right side panel of the computer is taken off so that more clean air gets in the inside of the computer.

That doesnt help, even makes things worse...A case is designed with 2 sides for a reason. The fans inside keep a steady flow of air going in the case, if you takeoff a side you'll disrupt that flow and actually make the cooling worse. if you want better cooling get better case fans or a better case.
Catalist 6.5
Downloaded and installed catalist 6.5 today, played this afternoon and found no problems at all. I've got an Ati Radeon X850XT.
Even worse with Catalyst 5.11 - Omega Driver 2.6.83
Hello!

I read most of the hints here and would have no problem to use older drivers.

So I downloaded the Omega Driver 2.6.83 (Catalyst 5.11). What happened. I still have 4-5 Frames when the Race starts but NOW I have 6-7 Frames for the whole time of the whole game.

Before I had the problem that I have 4-6 Frames for about 1 Minute. Now I have this problem for ever

So where is the problem???

cheers, Juergen
Quote from aprisma :Hello!

I read most of the hints here and would have no problem to use older drivers.

So I downloaded the Omega Driver 2.6.83 (Catalyst 5.11). What happened. I still have 4-5 Frames when the Race starts but NOW I have 6-7 Frames for the whole time of the whole game.

Before I had the problem that I have 4-6 Frames for about 1 Minute. Now I have this problem for ever

So where is the problem???

cheers, Juergen

I would say graphic driver and if you want to spend more time try to re-install your system.
i have wlked away from the ATi drivers because of there inconsistant behaivior for now.
I a have tried NGO (ngohq.com) they have ATi drivers and Nvidia (and this stuff is magic! for LFS) a crispness you have never seen before. NGO ATi optimized driver v 1.6.4

my other apps run great too. LFS, GTL, GPL, Heat, N2K3, more detail than before and such...
i recommend much
Ok I set up my whole system new today.

I tried with Omega (Catalyst 5.11) even worse 6-7 Frames/s

Now I try this new. If it dont help I make a new thread for my problems with ALL the details cause then it must be more than a generally problem ??

cheers, Juergen
Wooooooooooooooooooooooooot - Gt Touring!
Thanx man!

THIS DRIVER IS GREAT!

NGO for President !!!!!!!!!!!!!

30 Frames at Start and 80 and more during the race!

PLEASE MAKE THE POST WITH OF GT TURING with THE LINK STICKY!!!!!
tried 6.1??

using since i can't remember anymore, without any problems... x700pro.

regards
Glad you like it- i found i like 2 days beore and i have never raced better- with crispness and steady frame rates you do drive better=smoother and lap times have dropped-good drivers make a good driver
Today I bought ATI Radeon 9600 Pro and I expected to get more fps than with nVidia GeForce FX 5200 there weren`t no change. Can somebody give me links or smth to get the newest and the best drivers. I`m a real noob.

I only have 45 fps on clear track and 11 fps with full grid
Quote from siLc :Today I bought ATI Radeon 9600 Pro and I expected to get more fps than with nVidia GeForce FX 5200 there weren`t no change. Can somebody give me links or smth to get the newest and the best drivers. I`m a real noob.

I only have 45 fps on clear track and 11 fps with full grid

What processor do you have?
Well, perhaps not the Problem of you all, but i noticed a strange behavour with LFS, too.
When i switch on AA, LFS will just get unplayable in Window-Mode.
The Screen fills from top down just line for line, the higher i set AA the slower it goes.
But as soon as i switch to fullscreen, it runs ok.
Without AA everything runs well, in Fullscreen- as well as in Window-Mode.
I got this behavour after i reinstalled Windows some Month ago. No Hardware changed, just reinstalled Windows. Before that i could run LFS with 8xAA in Window-Mode, now its not playable.
Thats no big deal for me because i allways Race in Fullscreen, but sometimes you just want to check IRC or something between Races and hit F4 ...
Its so funny because i just installed all drivers as i used before, but it behaves different

Oh well, my Hardware: Athlon64 3200+, 1GB Ram, Radeon9800Pro
but because it run well with same Hardware before Windows-Reinstallation I dont think its something with that (As well as the Fact that without AA everything runs fine, too.)
Oh yes, with AA the CPU is 99% used by LFS in Window-Mode, but only 40-70% in Fullscreen or Window-Mode without AA.

Perhaps someone knows this Problem?
Quote from Marty502 :What processor do you have?

Celeron 2400+, 768mb RAM
Can anyone help me?

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG