The online racing simulator
hmmm guess ill buy a nvidia after all ... good bye high quality af :/
#52 - vari
850 XT here with 5.12 and no probs

EDIT: I dislike the Control Center .NET version with a passion though. The "normal" one was no longer an option :F
Have an X800XT and since I switched driver, i got the exact same issues as you guys, 5.12 and 5.13 doesn't work at all...

I have tried different FSAA, Adaptive AA, Anisotropic, etc, etc setting without any luck, seem to be something weird with those driver...

Too bad, I'm going back to 5.11...
So Agent248, do you have a dual core CPU?
Quote from AndroidXP :So Agent248, do you have a dual core CPU?

naah, I wanted one too!

edit:
Oh well, FX-55 then
No, I have a P4 with hyperthreading only...
Just for testing, can you try to disable HT (in BIOS?) and run LFS with the 5.12 CATs again?
Quote from AndroidXP :Just for testing, can you try to disable HT (in BIOS?) and run LFS with the 5.12 CATs again?

I thought I'd give that a try.............Not to be recommended. PC took a good half hour to boot and another half hour to shut down. Frightened the life out of me! WTF have I done? Anyway, reset the BIOS to Turbo defaults and all is well again. Note to self: Forget 5.12-13 drivers until a definative reason has been discovered at least. Shame, because BF2 and GTL (sorry) are way better with 5.13. Hey Scawen, any ideas on this?
Merry Christmas drivers (but not ATI)
This is just conjecture.

I have the same problems here too. I've recently installed a 9800 pro after my Ti4200 died. The performance was pretty good on old stock cat 4.x. Performance dropped once I went to 5.12. Noticing how sluggish the Command center was, I closed it down. This improved the performance a great deal. A friend of mine even went as far as setting up his card, then removing the CCC completely (you lose adjustment features after)

The CCC uses the .Net framework which is not the speediest of things. If it's polling the system for changes etc this may be where the problem lies.

I don't think this is just an LFS problem. Try disabling the CCC before LFS and see how you get on.
Quote from Agent248 :No, I have a P4 with hyperthreading only...

HT simulates two cores, so we could say you (and I) have dual core systems, for catalyst dirvers at least. Since CAT .12 HT and Dual Core are supported, and we have to think that HT "works the same" as DC, but Squelch is right, we should try playing LFS with CCC uninstalled. I think it's a good control panel, but I preferred the old CP, but this is not an option since .12 so this may also be the problem. I think it's due to dual core configurations, although LFS uses only one core this could be affected by CAT drivers. Merry christmas from Spain.
Oops

Just to clarify. I meant my post was conjecture.

Everything that goes before is possibly valid. It is probably better however, to seek out problems in software before messing with bios settings. The CCC is very sluggish in my opinion and LFS runs smoother without it.

Merry Christmas everyone, and race well.
Being a glutton for punishment I installed just the 5.13 drivers, these can be downloaded seperately. So guess what? Still the same. I am DEFINATELY not pratting about with them any more!
You mean it's going slow with the drivers only?
Just the plain driver install without any of the twiddly bits produces the same result, there is a conflict between the latest ATI drivers (infact the latest 2 revisions) and LFS, pure and simple, every other piece of software I own, and I own a LOT, gets better performance except LFS.
Well, I am sticking to the 5.11's for now, hopefully someone somewhere cleverer than me will discover why this is.

Dan.
Quote from Agent248 :Have an X800XT and since I switched driver, i got the exact same issues as you guys, 5.12 and 5.13 doesn't work at all...

I have tried different FSAA, Adaptive AA, Anisotropic, etc, etc setting without any luck, seem to be something weird with those driver...

Too bad, I'm going back to 5.11...

The same here, with other games no problem...only with LFS. I've tested on 3 fresh windows installations....

My system:
AMD X2
ATI GTO2 256mb (cat. 5.13)
2gb ram
3x samsung spinpoint
I hope most of you guys have reported it to ATI. They won't know about the problem unless you tell them, and i guess they won't take it seriously if they only hear it from a couple of people.

Remember, one thing about LFS is it's using DirectX 8.1 - have you tried any other DirectX 8.1 games? I think most new games are using DirectX 9. Of course, i have absolutely no idea if it's anything to do with the version of Direct X. But perhaps their main focus would be DX 9 and they'd just run a quick test to make sure that older versions of DX still worked ok.

They really need to run LFS in a debug version of their drivers. to see where the problem lies. There's not much i can do other than make sure LFS doesn't cause any Direct X errors - and i'm always in debug mode when i'm developing, to make sure there aren't any. So i'm pretty sure the problem is in the drivers.
we cant submit anything to ATi untill january 1st. (they are off for the holidays and have disabled the ability to send messeges to tech-support)
i'm gonna try and see if i can contact someone who works at ati. if you guys know anyone then pls try.
Anyone know how it would be possible to send a "consolidated" report to ATI?, sending support request's from one person doesnt seem to make any impact, they just send you round and round in circles.
Maybe if we can somehow do that?, failing that, maybe a support request from the games developer might help?.

Dan.
Quote from Scawen :I hope most of you guys have reported it to ATI. They won't know about the problem unless you tell them, and i guess they won't take it seriously if they only hear it from a couple of people.

Remember, one thing about LFS is it's using DirectX 8.1 - have you tried any other DirectX 8.1 games? I think most new games are using DirectX 9. Of course, i have absolutely no idea if it's anything to do with the version of Direct X. But perhaps their main focus would be DX 9 and they'd just run a quick test to make sure that older versions of DX still worked ok.

They really need to run LFS in a debug version of their drivers. to see where the problem lies. There's not much i can do other than make sure LFS doesn't cause any Direct X errors - and i'm always in debug mode when i'm developing, to make sure there aren't any. So i'm pretty sure the problem is in the drivers.

Hmmm...that's a point. Actually I don't tested a DirectX 8.1 game...can someone do that? I've no DirectX 8.1 game anymore...

Perhabs ATI takes it serious if a developper writes and not the "Joe Jedermann" [what's the right name for that in english?]. What do you think Scawen?
I've written to my ATI contact. Obviously i don't know when he is back from holidays or whatever. Hopefully he'll be able to contact the driver developers. Don't let that stop you making sure ATI knows about it. It's actually between you and ATI - nothing to do with me - it's their duty to make sure their drivers work properly, and also to investigate, when you have bought their hardware.

I'm not happy to hear the report that they simply give you the brush off saying "all games work better with the new drivers". That's not acceptable, unless they ran a test to disprove your report. Anyway i'm not making judgements, as i said i've written my mail. We'll see what happens.
Quote from Scawen :I've written to my ATI contact.................... I've written my mail. We'll see what happens.

I'm pretty confident that you'll get an answer. It's not what you know, it's who you know. Top man Scawen.
Quote from Scawen :I've written to my ATI contact. Obviously i don't know when he is back from holidays or whatever. Hopefully he'll be able to contact the driver developers.

Thanks Scawen! I'll write to ATI too.
Quote from Scawen :I've written to my ATI contact. Obviously i don't know when he is back from holidays or whatever. Hopefully he'll be able to contact the driver developers. Don't let that stop you making sure ATI knows about it. It's actually between you and ATI - nothing to do with me - it's their duty to make sure their drivers work properly, and also to investigate, when you have bought their hardware.

I'm not happy to hear the report that they simply give you the brush off saying "all games work better with the new drivers". That's not acceptable, unless they ran a test to disprove your report. Anyway i'm not making judgements, as i said i've written my mail. We'll see what happens.

I will try again Scawen, I just got the canned responses last time, also I got the "all games work better" statement which I found a bit odd TBH.
Looks like I might be heading back to Nvidia come upgrade time.....

Dan.
Can someone link me to the ATI bug reporting? I'm having trouble finding on their site.

Just noticed the 5.13s are out, hopefully these will fix the problem, downloading now.
Quote from Gabkicks :we cant submit anything to ATi untill january 1st. (they are off for the holidays and have disabled the ability to send messeges to tech-support)
i'm gonna try and see if i can contact someone who works at ati. if you guys know anyone then pls try.

^ i said it before. cant send anything to them untill january 1st.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG