The online racing simulator
Java questions
(11 posts, started )
Java questions
Hello,
Just started learning java and I have some question about it, very basic ones. What kind of program would you advice to use? How to get all that stuff working and load your created programs in your pc?

I'm comming from delphi and that stuff looks strange, not like in there just write code and play it, theres some tricks :O So waiting for some spec's for some help
#2 - filur
I've used NetBeans before, it seems like a very solid IDE. For your other questions I'd advise just reading the documentation and searching for Java tutorials with Google.
heh, I thought Eclipse was pretty nice too, as an IDE.

Try them and use whatever seems most to your liking I guess.

EDIT - once you're a bit comfortable the API specs are unmissable too : http://download.oracle.com/javase/6/docs/api/
I personally find NetBeans to be a bit better for people who're new to Java. The GUI is somewhat better organised and the code auto-completion and suggesting seems more convenient too. I use Eclipse only because of speed reasons...
#6 - Jakg
Another vote for NetBeans, it's what a lot of Uni's use to help students get used to the language... although it can be a little clunky at times.
I kid you not, I program in notepad 2 when I'm on the windows side, and gedit when I'm on the linux side.
I use Vi on Linux, and notepad on Windows. Well, for small things and hacks. For big projects usually some bloated IDE like Eclipse.

IMO for beginners it is best to use simplest tools (simple text editor) to learn the build process.
Well you can use anything for small fixes and hacks, you'd be nuts however to throw away the productivity benefits that using a good IDE can bring you. Syntax-coloring, auto-completion, code analysis, code generation et al. Get a good IDE and learn it, learn all its features and keyboard shortcuts, because it'll make programming easier.

That being said, I did learn to code on NotePad, but these days I use NotePad++ for small stuff (right-click Edit with Notepad++ is win), and Visual Studio and Aptana Studio (which is based on Eclipse) for most proper development. I've been known to use NetBeans and Code::Blocks as well.
I never found an IDE that I did not hate ... Visual studio was too clunky, NetBeans was two slow and bloated, Eclipse & SciTE where ok, but I never really got into them. I like knowing my API backwards and forwards from memory, it makes me more aware of the software I'm writing. I'm also a stubborn son of a bitch, so one day I'll find an IDE that I'll like and I'll think that I was insane for the last 8 years for not switching sooner. Hell the only IDE that I did really like, and use every day was AMXX Studio when I was doing SmallC plugins for AMX Mod X. But tha was like 6 years ago, from there I went back to Notepad because then I did not have to install anything was I was going from computer to computer.
While there's nothing wrong with IDE's (and revision control GUI's) in general, if you can't do the same work without them then that's not a good thing.

Java questions
(11 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG