The online racing simulator
Battlefield 2
(82 posts, started )
1.3 patch lets the commander drop veihcles on soldiers heads! great huh

apparently the new booster pack "amoured fury" is worth looking at but I am such a tight wad I am still thinking about it
Quote from rabidmaddog :Why do you say that? It's a perfectly valid observation and a frustrating issue while playing the game. It's not silly at all for someone who enjoys the immersion of the game. It's a perfectly rational comparison when they allegedly model a real world weapon.

My subtle point was more of like... there was no realism in BF2 in the first place so why complain about it?

Immersion? Sure, but that's based mostly on graphics and sounds. If you want your .50 cal to be as lethal and accurate as its in real life, then I'd like my M1A2 to shoot 120 mm smooth bore, sub-caliber, high-penetration, depleted uranium warheads with muzzle velocity of 1800 m/s from a distance of 4 kilometres right on target. Or maybe my standard issue hand grenade to have potentially lethal blast radius of 50 metres instead of five.

Extreme realism in a war game marketed for pre-teens does not make good gameplay, trust me.
Quote from spankmeyer :My subtle point was more of like... there was no realism in BF2 in the first place so why complain about it?

Immersion? Sure, but that's based mostly on graphics and sounds. If you want your .50 cal to be as lethal and accurate as its in real life, then I'd like my M1A2 to shoot 120 mm smooth bore, sub-caliber, high-penetration, depleted uranium warheads with muzzle velocity of 1800 m/s from a distance of 4 kilometres right on target. Or maybe my standard issue hand grenade to have potentially lethal blast radius of 50 metres instead of five.

Extreme realism in a war game marketed for pre-teens does not make good gameplay, trust me.

I agree there are a number of other such issues. Many of the weapons should be far more destructive than they are. All I'm saying is that more emphasis on weapon authenticity would be nice. Immersion for me includes accuracy in physics modeling, not just graphics and audio. Gross deficiencies in any of these aspects can kill the immersion factor, at least for me. Hence my love for LFS!!!
Quote from rabidmaddog :I agree there are a number of other such issues. Many of the weapons should be far more destructive than they are. All I'm saying is that more emphasis on weapon authenticity would be nice. Immersion for me includes accuracy in physics modeling, not just graphics and audio. Gross deficiencies in any of these aspects can kill the immersion factor, at least for me. Hence my love for LFS!!!

for the LFS luv!

It's actually funny that if extreme realism would be introduced to 3D-shooters, the vast majority of players would most certainly complain for "lack of realism". Reason: the only experience from ballistics and wounding for them comes from movies and games, but real life is very random sometimes.

It's possible that you could score solid hits on someone in the center mass with 7.62 NATO rifle rounds and he might still be able run away or shoot back. With center mass hits, the only way to incapacitate someone instantly is to get a lucky shot and destroy either his aorta or spinal cord (catastrophic blood pressure drop or paralysis).

You might survive .50 cal hit but die from a tiny unfortunate buckshot pellet.
As far as I see realistic shooting games are a flawed concept, there's just no way to accuratley offer realistic input, just like simulations of pretty much anything than racing or flying will never work, and even the feedback in racing/flying simulators is nothing compared to real life.
Ok, So I spend 2 hours downloading the stupid patch at 60 odd KBP/s download and when I try to patch it, it says patching failed. What a load of bolloks.

Anyone else get this, and if yes, how did you sort it?

Regards,
I downloaded from fileshack.com

Assuming you need to upgrade from 1.00 to 1.30 the file is 450mb. You may have downloaded the 1.22 to 1.30 patch (about 80mb).

I registered with File Shack so I can get 500kb/s download speeds, which is more than my connection can get. The registration was free and suprisingly painless and it's probably well worth registering with at least one of the big download sites as you can get much faster speeds and less wait time (I had none) simply by entering in your (unused) e-mail.
Quote from ajp71 :As far as I see realistic shooting games are a flawed concept, there's just no way to accuratley offer realistic input, just like simulations of pretty much anything than racing or flying will never work, and even the feedback in racing/flying simulators is nothing compared to real life.

True. Cars are just machines. In 3D shooters the hardest thing would be probably the player movement. It would need some kind of external controllers. Most of the little things even in the most realistic FPS games currently (Operation Flashpoint, WWII Online...) are just so easy to do compared to real life, for example in games there are no rocks under your balls when you're crawling. Or billions of hungry mosquitos. And your shoes never gets wet...
-
(deggis) DELETED by deggis
Quote from spankmeyer : for the LFS luv!

It's actually funny that if extreme realism would be introduced to 3D-shooters, the vast majority of players would most certainly complain for "lack of realism". Reason: the only experience from ballistics and wounding for them comes from movies and games, but real life is very random sometimes.

It's possible that you could score solid hits on someone in the center mass with 7.62 NATO rifle rounds and he might still be able run away or shoot back. With center mass hits, the only way to incapacitate someone instantly is to get a lucky shot and destroy either his aorta or spinal cord (catastrophic blood pressure drop or paralysis).

You might survive .50 cal hit but die from a tiny unfortunate buckshot pellet.

I understand where you're coming from. However, I am not looking for ultra realism where I literally die from blood loss, impact trauma, go deaf from artillery and small arms fire, and suffer from exposure to biological warfare agents. I am simply saying that the accuracy and effectiveness of many of BF2's weapons leave great room for improvement. I should be able to incapacitate or kill a stationary player while I am laying prone 200 meters away for crying out loud! I am lucky to see 20% effectiveness with the 50cal in such scenarios, which is simply ridiculous.
like i said, the 'random' eliment to the .50 cal sniper rifle was an oft talked (slagged off?) about topic in the BF2 forums.

BF2 seems to be the one of the, in terms of player numbers and playability, big hitters out there at the moment. But they suffer from having to cater for the console market too. So sharing servers with Xbox users is bound to generate lag, hitbox issues and associated problems. The code is too lax and full of holes. Pc users being a slightly more deserning group as a whole need something with more grit. I really hope that Quake Wars can deliver. It seems to have the right ethos and developement community and with the ET heritage thatit should be a fps that delivers.
Quote from Funnybear :like i said, the 'random' eliment to the .50 cal sniper rifle was an oft talked (slagged off?) about topic in the BF2 forums.

BF2 seems to be the one of the, in terms of player numbers and playability, big hitters out there at the moment. But they suffer from having to cater for the console market too. So sharing servers with Xbox users is bound to generate lag, hitbox issues and associated problems. The code is too lax and full of holes. Pc users being a slightly more deserning group as a whole need something with more grit. I really hope that Quake Wars can deliver. It seems to have the right ethos and developement community and with the ET heritage thatit should be a fps that delivers.

FPS game evolution is hopelessly stuck in the mud. Budgets rise to millions of dollars and no-one can take a risk and create something totally left-field (meaning gameplay > graphics) because the risk to lose investments is too great. Seeing the evolution and de-evolution during the last 15 years paints a pretty clear picture.

I would not be suprised to find out that nowadays 90% of overall budget is dumped straight into creating the state-of-the-art GFX engine (which ironically looks just the same as every other modern FPS) and whatever scrap is left at the bottom... well that's your game right there.

See you again next year when we release the sequel.
Seeing what has been written about ET:QW the devs seem to be drawn from the same base as the original ET:CW. From what I can gather they seem to operate olong the same lines as Scawen and the boys do. They don't seem to be under as much pressure from a big publishing house to just churn the stuff out. So I really hope that they can stick to their guns and produce a worthy, innovative and above all cracking piece of work.

They have already made massive breakthroughs in terrain resource management and are using 'real' physics to drive the engine rather than the 'false' physics that BF2 uses. All the vehicles will drive how they should rather than how the devs think they should and they also have levels of ability depending on how you want to use them. Fly the aircraft on basic and they do basic things. Learn to fly them properly using the full range of physics properties and you can do a hel of a lot more. Wheeled vehicles will still drive even with the wheels blown of with,of course, the obvious drop in performance. The game play looks to be innovative having learnt from the original and also from other FPOLS out there.

I hope I can get a rig up and running in time to get the most from it when it eventually comes out. I hope it's as good as I want it to be.
Quote from thisnameistaken :America's Army is just so unrealistic. It ought to involve standing around doing nothing while giant bombs are dropped on enemy positions and the surrounding 300 mile radius, reducing an entire residential area to dust and rubble in "precision strikes" based on "very good intelligence", but instead you have to actually go shoot at the enemy with a gun. Stupid game.

You are aware that there are foot soldiers, including Special Forces, deployed throughout the world right now who engage in firefights with small arms? Sure GPS guided bombs and stealth aircraft is the safer, far more expensive way to go, but I think AA does a reasonable job simulating small battles involving soldiers on the ground. These do happen in reality quite a bit, so I don’t know exactly where you came up with the view that this is unrealistic. I imagine a number of solders in Iraq would take offence to your comment. I know I certainly would if I were over there being shot at and car bombed.
AA cant be to far from being realistic... its not like its being produced by some big game company like EA or splashdamage (which.. splashdamage is i believe the best FPS producer so far with their amazingly fast running games with excelent graphics)
but AA ... is being made by the army, they use it for a purpose, so it cant be totally unreal
I dunno about you guys, but that "pwned life" video is fscking hilarious... in fact, i haven't laughed this much since... damn, i can't remember... "I WANT MY MOMMY" HAHAHAHHAHA
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
2 things about AA:

1. It's not realistic and it never was meant to be (IMO) it's like TRD/CMR can convince people that racing is really very easy they can convince people that fighting in the army is like out of the movies. Don't forget it's first and foremost an American propaganda tool.

2. They never engage in battles where there is a 1:1 ratio with the enemy, it's just not the way the Americans/British work.
@thisnameistaken.. lol i know, i agree with you there

@ajp and everyone else; keep in mind.. this has been released to public, so it cant be completely real in all senses, or else it would be probably near impossible or just plain hard and wouldn't receive any help from a community because its so hard

i wouldn't be surprised if the game has been "dumbed" down for the public and for other reasons
-
America's Army never appealed. Well actually thats a lie. It's free, that appealed. But even the fact that it's free couldn't over come the title and content of the game. Why on earth would I want to learn how to shoot and kill my own side? Whats the point in that?

'America's Army. Now you too can learn how to endanger you own troop, place your men in the firing line and kill more of your side and your allies than the enemy. Learn how to completly underestimate the opposing side, learn how to completly destroy local infrastructure and defraud the occupied territory. Place yourself in the boots of the man on the front line praying to his god that his commander can read the map and place the arty strike where asked. Play the Body armour lottery. Will you, won't you. And as a bonus game, play guess the militia. The very people you are trying to set free are now the ones who want you dead!

Get it. It's free. America's Army. They need you. Because we killed all the rest.'
-
Quote from thisnameistaken :
The main problem with BF2, besides the jets just being a really silly addition and making most of the maps fun for only 6.something% of the people on a server, is the people. It'd probably be loads of fun if it wasn't totally riddled with arseholes.

Bit of a comment on life in general and the human condition, really.
Had my first game in 6 months of BF2 tonight. (i kept repeating that sentence over and over in my head and it still doesn't seem gramatically correct :-/ )

And anyway, i had a blast! Me and a mate singing "canyonero" as we launch a jeep off a hill bringing us to sudden death when we finally hit the ground. So much fun, so many laughs. My throat is sore

CANYONEEERRROOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!! :hyper:
Quote from thisnameistaken :Well you're not, so you don't have to worry about it. And if I wanted to offend soldiers in Iraq I could do it much better than that.

I wouldn't exactly say that I am worried about it, but I do at least possess some regard and respect for others. For you to assert that small arms battles on the ground are unrealistic is a slap in the face for those who do that very thing. Either you don't understand that, or you simply have no regard for the soldiers in the field. It sounded somewhat disrespectful to me, as did your subsequent response.
As I said before BF2 + Project Reality = the best n00b-free experience you'll find in BF2. It's too difficult for n00bs to stick around

No crosshairs, no overly-informative HUD, fixed weapon accuracies, etc. And it's still in development to be made MORE realistic.
I play PRMM... but too bad some Europeans are all playing on their servers, because playing this game with high ping is not the best idea, you need accuracy 24/7, heheh.

Gloryhoundz or USM are servers I have a go with.
-
Quote from Shinanigans :Had my first game in 6 months of BF2 tonight. (i kept repeating that sentence over and over in my head and it still doesn't seem gramatically correct :-/ )

Well you'd be correct about that. Your grammar is appauling :haha: lol

"Played BF2 for the first time in six months" would be a much better way of putting it.

(sorry but this is how bored I am)

Battlefield 2
(82 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG