The online racing simulator
Battlefield 2
(82 posts, started )
#1 - ajp71
Battlefield 2
Sure I've seen threads on it before but a search didn't find any. Anyone got Battlefield 2?

I got it today and all I can say is bloody hell there are some seriously good people on it. Compared to the demo the level of play seemed rather superior. Guess I'm currently at the equivilent stage of struggling to control the XRT

I went on a couple of servers, the first one being some island 2007? This map seemed rather impossible for a n00b at FPS games and I seemed to get rather slaugthered before I managed to get onto dry land.

I noticed that on the BFHQ only 3 mins of the island server had been recorded (I went on other servers and the Island one for more than 3 mins) do only certain servers count to stats?

Also are there any sites with good starter guides for BF2?
I bought it when it was released and played it. Now when all those mini-addons have come along I'm not bothered to play it anymore because as usual, nobody plays the old content anymore. And that serverlisting was so screwed that it really ruined a lot.
#3 - ajp71
^^ Mini add-ons? I found plenty of servers running standard maps and only a few running the latest expansion pack.
yeah, its alot of fun for a bit. I would always take planes, and get in as many dogfights as possible I got actually rather good at it too Anyway, after a bit i got fed up with all the bugs in the game, and just got bored of it. The game just takes to long to start up, its annoying to find servers, and THEIRS always dipshits who TK you.
Yeah I'm still playing it...had it since it came out (stats: link). The only xpack I bought was Special Forces, didn't really feel like getting those booster packs. I play it a lot less though since it's one mother of a resource hog, and has a lot of little things that make my head spin.

The planes and helicopters definitely require a bit of skill to use effectively.... the LFS analogy works pretty well I guess . The unlocked weapons that most vets have make a big difference as well... some of them make a world of difference from the base weapons.

Not sure about the server issue because some of them have their own problems with stats reporting.

Check sites like BF2S.com and the such for lots of info about everything BF2.
Quote from Blackout :I bought it when it was released and played it. Now when all those mini-addons have come along I'm not bothered to play it anymore because as usual, nobody plays the old content anymore. And that serverlisting was so screwed that it really ruined a lot.

Nobody plays the original BF2 anymore??!?!? What are you talking about, that is still the most popular.....

Nobody plays the mods because it doesn't have ranking. Not to mention, there are loads of work in progress mods, and hardly anything new and special for anyone to play. By the time BF 2142 comes around in the Fall, everyone will be playing that.

Oh and a good resource site is http://www.bf2s.com/

You can view your stats there by searching for nickname, however if you are a noobie, and only accumulated a small amount of points, your stats will be in a queue.

Me: http://www.bf2s.com/player/48678762/
I mean those extensions, it was a guess but people play the original BF2 maps too right? Thats what usually happens when all those extensions come along, people only play with the new toys. Havent touched it for a while, like mentioned it takes so much time to load the game and list servers.
Quote from Tweaker :Nobody plays the original BF2 anymore??!?!? What are you talking about, that is still the most popular.....

Nobody plays the mods because it doesn't have ranking. Not to mention, there are loads of work in progress mods, and hardly anything new and special for anyone to play. By the time BF 2142 comes around in the Fall, everyone will be playing that.

Yeah... I don't even touch SF anymore since I can't use my L96A1 on it. I mean it's not a bad game, but I'd rather be playing vanilla BF2.
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
#9 - ajp71
Are there any maps without jets/helicopters?
-
Heres a little something that will make the "vets" of BF2 laugh. I absolutely pissed myself laughing. Its quite long, but so true to the online experience, and definately worth it.
http://video.google.com/videop ... 66646599&q=pwned+life

Similarly to Kev I stopped playing, but strangely enough I reinstalled it today, to see if things have changed. They havent.
pwnd life is nowhere near as good as the mine videos
Quote from the_angry_angel :Similarly to Kev I stopped playing, but strangely enough I reinstalled it today, to see if things have changed. They havent.

Yeah...and now the disconnect/lost connection to server bug has once again shown its ugly head, like one day after I reinstalled it..... reminds me of why I stopped playing, grr.
-
Quote from DejaVu :pwnd life is nowhere near as good as the mine videos

I still prefer the nbrigade stuff, from the original BF tbh. But each to their own
Cool video, I like the ideas and the way they immitate the American army

I have the game quite fun wen you blow some snpier to bits sitting pickigng people off on a roof. You can easily shoot him but blowing him up is so much more fun!
-
If you dont like BF2 just play Americas Army! Anybody playing this? If yes, what honor you are and what maps you like. My favorite is Bridge Crossing and Im honor 45.
-
Well, yeah I agree with you but I like it anyway.
Quote from Kajojek(PL) :If you dont like BF2 just play Americas Army! Anybody playing this? If yes, what honor you are and what maps you like. My favorite is Bridge Crossing and Im honor 45.

I play AA and my honour is 70. Fav.map is for the moment Dusk.
http://bf2s.com/player/46283265/

Theres my stats.

As you can see, i haven't played since December.

I'm getting back into it on tuesday, so hopefully i'll see you guys on the "battlefield" pardon the pun
^^ Same, havnt really played it for months. I used to be a BF1942 gamer and used to do pretty well along with a couple of mates. BF2 though, theres just so mnay things that are annoying about it, and not enough good things, I just gave up.

Last exam on tuesday though so might give it another go
I been playing BF2 since release. Only have Special Forces for it tho as i aint got a credit card for the other two (why not release them on cd?)

Original account: http://bf2s.com/player/34723808/

New clan account: http://bf2s.com/player/62815833/

It's an alright game overal but as someone said above, tk'ing for planes is just so f*cking annoying. If you do manage to get in the plane, you get 3 four year olds stand infront of it so you TK them when you take off, then they punish you for the teamkill and your automaticly booted by the server. When they do cat in the plane, they either get shot down instantly or crash, wheras someone with experience could of wiped out the opposition in that time.
Honestly. I still prefer BF1942.. BF2 is just filled with complete idiots.. But if u find a server ( i found one once!!!) without all the noobs. It is a brilliant game.. Havnt played either recently. But i think i will get both installed soon
Thats why you get in a clan. Become and admin then you can sort it out yourself.

Or in my case, find an admin on teamspeak, they do the business and BF2 becomes happy again
is BF2 worth the money? I might convince me parents into getting me it.
Depends on what you like Rappa Z. BF2 is the best multiplayer arcade shooter I know, have played it for hundreds of hours. I haven't been playing much of it lately, maybe after great mods like Point of Existence and Forgotten Hope come out. And playing with clan is 100 times more fun. I never play it alone, always with mates via TeamSpeak.
There is also this new Battlefield 2142 coming out soon(?). I'll not buy it, because robot theme is just not for me.
-
(Schooner) DELETED by Schooner
I was addicted to BF2 for ages when it first came out. But as with any marriage I soon realised what faults lay in the game and like many marriages it was a case of give but not a hell of a lot of take. The more you play BF2 and look into it the more it appears that EA couldn't really give a huge amount for their games. It took months to sort out the BH Whoring that any dev worth their salt should have got too straight away. I'm not even sure how it got through the play testers. There was far too many wankers on the servers but I generally changed my game play to deal with them, i.e. stay away from anything that flies. I was a chopper pilot and a pretty good one too but was forever being FF'ed out of the sky by chopper whores or I could never get a gunner to stay with me. The load up times where just ludicrous, the interface clunky and ill-concieved and the add-ons and so called 'patches' where bug ridden and expensive.

But all that said, when everything worked with a squad playing well as a team and using comms effectivly it was the best game ever. A good squad and commander can take an entire map just by being effective and communicating.

It was my favorite thing in the world to be choppering and have my gunner place a TOW just where the sniper had called for it and then to lay suppressing misile fire whilst the assault guys moved up or the covert got a C4 on the defensive tank.

When it very occasionally worked it kicked arse but it just became to much of an effort to get those one in a thousand times when it did work.

I'm waiting out for a new Comp and ET: Quake Wars. That game looks to have promise.

Battlefield 2
(82 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG