The online racing simulator
#1 - Ziroh
How to save LFS_External as a EXE file
Hey

I hate it how i run my insim, i use debug in C#..
So my question is, how can i save it as a exe file?

- Ziroh
F6 to save it or F5 to run it in debug mode
#3 - Ziroh
The problem is, when i press F6 (Build Solution).. It is only one DLL file in the release folder..
check ur debug folder..
LFS_External is a library.. it _always_ will build as a DLL.
#6 - Ziroh
But isn't it a code or something i can put in to make it a exe file?
It has to be one or more ways to do it, cause i don't think everyone use debug in C# :P
No, LFS External is a library. A DLL is what it builds to as DLL stand for Dynamic Link Library.
I dunno how about LFS external, but there is a big difference between a library and an executable. Library is not meant to be used as a standalone application, you're supposed to write an application that USES the library, not to run a library itself.
Modifying a DLL library and using it as an application is a completely wrong approach, I suggest you read few things about using external libraries in C# and go from there...
#9 - Ziroh
I found a way, can close this..
Quote from Ziroh :I found a way, can close this..

Post the solution then, maybe?
Since almost all of you say, you should read about C# and Library's..
I say the same to you!
#12 - PoVo
Quote from Ziroh :Since almost all of you say, you should read about C# and Library's..
I say the same to you!

Nice flaming, I can assure you no help from anyone - anymore.
Quote from Ziroh :Since almost all of you say, you should read about C# and Library's..
I say the same to you!

There is no point in opening a thread, asking for help, and then not posting the solution. So may I ask you not to open any request threads in the future, if that is how you plan on ending them.

If I was immature enough, I'd say ef you and your effing selfish behavior, but since I'm such a nice person, I'm not going to.
Well, do we really care how he did it? LFS_External is not meant to be compiled as an EXE and anyone aware of how libraries work and what are they for shouldn't actually need it. Anyway, I bet that all you have to do is change something in the project settings.

Please don't take this personally Ziroh, I by no means wanted to offend you.
Quote from MadCatX :Well, do we really care how he did it? LFS_External is not meant to be compiled as an EXE and anyone aware of how libraries work and what are they for shouldn't actually need it. Anyway, I bet that all you have to do is change something in the project settings.

Please don't take this personally Ziroh, I by no means wanted to offend you.

Yes, we do care. He asked for help, and when he found the solution he did not share it. What if anyone else encounters the same issue? If one person has, then somebody else could too.

And I don't like his demanding and selfish behavior either(not talking only about this thread).

Why do I think the solution is needed? :
Don't you feel tired when after hours of searching in google(or the search engine you're using) you've found a forum with the exact same question as yours.. BUT in the end the OP has found a solution, and posted that he needs no further help? Have you never encountered that? Because I do quite damn often, and it's because of such people. Sometimes it gets quite frustrating.
As I pointed out already, turning a DLL into EXE is rather stupid IMHO, but in VS 2008 you can do it like "Project->projectName properties->Application->Output type->Console/Windows application"
This still doesn't excuse his demanding and selfish behavior.

And what if the solution was something more than this?

It's good to provide answers along with the questions in the internet. People can search by questions, because if they already knew the answer they wouldn't need to search for it.

I agree that it is something easy, and thank you for providing a possible solution, but this is not the whole problem. You can't just demand help and give nothing in return. If someone helped you irl, you'd at least buy them a beer, right? You wouldn't just say "Ok, you can go now." and walk away, would you?
Don't get me wrong, I fully agree with you that if this forum (or any other forum for that matter) has to serve it's purpose, it needs people willing to help each other. I'm too a bit disappointed about Ziroh's attitude, but I guess he got kinda upset when we tried to talk him out of that hack solution.

But my original point was something different, I mean, in this particular case, do we really need know so badly how to do something we're not supposed to do?
Quote from MadCatX :As I pointed out already, turning a DLL into EXE is rather stupid IMHO, but in VS 2008 you can do it like "Project->projectName properties->Application->Output type->Console/Windows application"

Er, DLL doesn't has a "entry point", how would it run?
DLL can have an entry point, I dunno how about other languages, but adding a Main method does the trick in C#.
See? This thread just turned from completely useless to actually helpful. If anyone discovers this with the same question they will first see the way how to do it. And then they will see that it is not good practice to do it too. It's the 2 things I'm always looking for when searching for something.

But that was thanks to you, MadCat, and not the OP(who never posted again here, because he found his solution).

It's kind of awesome tho, don't you think?
Even one more helpful thread is a lot. Because there aren't many on the internet. Most of them end up just like this one would.
Broken, since the only thing you want me to do, is to post how i did it..
You wanna know it? :P
Quote from MadCatX :DLL can have an entry point, I dunno how about other languages, but adding a Main method does the trick in C#.

There's even better method - rundll32
Quote from Ziroh :Broken, since the only thing you want me to do, is to post how i did it..

No. I, as in myself, don't need this information. It is the people that may land on this thread after searching for the answer of that same(or similar) question.
#25 - PoVo
Quote from Ziroh :Broken, since the only thing you want me to do, is to post how i did it..

Obviously he wants to see it...

dumb person...

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG