The online racing simulator
Wonderin if s3 will have changable parts?
Wonderin if s3 will have changable parts?
#2 - Vain
You mean as in bodykits? Or as in different sets of bumpers (=not fine adjustable, just 3 or 4 sets)? Or as in different turbochargers?

Vain
Quote from Vain :You mean as in bodykits? Or as in different sets of bumpers (=not fine adjustable, just 3 or 4 sets)? Or as in different turbochargers?

Vain

Either won.
I hope not.............it doesnt really add anything to the racing, it you have items that increase the power everyone will be running the highest one anyway, so no.

Dan,
Quote from Sgt.Gunlee :Wonderin if s3 will have changable parts?

go back playing NFSU.:bunny3:
Quote from Sgt.Gunlee :Either won.

Either one. Sorry
Quote from SchneeFee :go back playing NFSU.:bunny3:

NFSU is gay it's just a ricer game lmao.
i guess you dont know what lfs is all about?
#9 - JJ72
Quote from seancatlin11 :i guess you dont know what lfs is all about?

must be a online ricing simulator.
We should be getting different tyre models (each tyre maker), so why would we be getting different clutch packs, gearboxes etc... it's not always about most powerful is faster.... but I think if it's possible to change parts, it should be possible for the server to limit those parts available, give everyone the same basic package for leagues and only allow slight adjustments to setups....
Or just keep the cars the same as much as possible, and leave it as people vs peopl rather than need for speed vs fast and furious vs dim and ricery.
Quote from tristancliffe :Or just keep the cars the same as much as possible, and leave it as people vs peopl rather than need for speed vs fast and furious vs dim and ricery.

But if the game is going to be realistic and authentic, you must be able to choose you manfacturers, brake parts, clutches, engines etc... all are chosseable IRL, and all manufacturers bring something different to the table, speed, aceeleration, longetivity, quick repair/replacement..... Would bring something completely different to the table, but for the sake of gameplay, racing exactly the same cars around is the way to go IMO, but if you go that far, you may as well take out the setups and only allow players to run the set the host chooses....
sure you can select which manufacturer logo you wanna see on your car, but eg in F1 or TOCA/DTM, you cant change parts as you want. The cars are strictly limited, and thats what we have in LFS, too.
what about neon lights or what ever you call them it would be nice for night raceing.
Quote from faster111 :what about neon lights or what ever you call them it would be nice for night raceing.

Yeah great, they really help improve the racing.......NEXT
Quote from Thorvertonian :But if the game is going to be realistic and authentic, you must be able to choose you manfacturers, brake parts, clutches, engines etc... all are chosseable IRL, and all manufacturers bring something different to the table, speed, aceeleration, longetivity, quick repair/replacement..... Would bring something completely different to the table, but for the sake of gameplay, racing exactly the same cars around is the way to go IMO, but if you go that far, you may as well take out the setups and only allow players to run the set the host chooses....

LFS is trying to be a realistic online racing simulator, not a realistic car tuning exercise. The two are not necessarily the same. In terms of the word 'realism' how far do you go? Do you want to only drive cars you've negotiated a contract on? Do you want to have a governing body that is biased to other players? Do you want 99% of the people to play LFS to be just mechanics, and only the best drivers get to drive?

Quite simply adding brake manufacture/style/material options, or clutch size, pressure, material etc, or anything else from camshafts to ignition timing, or exhaust primary lengths to steering wheel rake angle WILL NOT ADD ANYTHING TO LFS OTHER THAN DILUTE THE RACING. The same people will win, the same people will lose. But we'll be two seconds a lap quicker, and it'll be even harder for noobs or those less intelligent to become winners as they have to learn how to make, tune and rebuild engines. Of course we'd never stoop to the level of having 'off the shelf' parts, so we'll need a virtual CADCAM machine, in which we all have to design, tolerance, analyse, machine, fit and use for every single non-standard component. After all, we want realism, and it wouldn't be realistic to just click a 'Rice Me Up' button, now would it.

[/sarcasm]
Quote from faster111 :what about neon lights or what ever you call them it would be nice for night raceing.

dont worry until S3, tristan, he is looking for night racing first

btw: anybody knows the differences between tyres' manufacturrs? will tarmac have different specification suiting different manufacturers tyres?
Quote from Sgt.Gunlee :NFSU is gay it's just a ricer game lmao.

And your idea is what? Corn? illepall
Fair enough, I'll shut up now

But I was just trying to make the point which you took a little futher, just how far do you go?

You can keep each car standard and allow small changes, or you can allow complete customisation, or find a nice inbetween
I think the only point of having changable parts is if you have to win races in order to upgrade. Otherwise, as tristan said, it'll just be people selecting the best parts anyway.

However, if LFS were to go slightly more indepth with race winnings (i know the stats system is detailed enough to do so) and started to offer things like aftermarket gearboxes which shift better and are stronger (does LFS start intoducing synchro failure? What if you shift without a clutch and drop a gear?)

I think the fate of performance upgrades lies on the possibility of a rewards system.
This has been discussed so many times, if we had reward system and the better drivers had the better cars n00bies couldn't win fairly. And it would allso lead to exploits, you can see those small servers even now where people wanting to the LFSW lists race on with their tiny minds
#23 - Jakg

good when your looking at the ground underneath your car...
Not really... Neons point downwards, they would just blind you
Here's the biggest problem with custom parts, which I learned back in Motor City Online:

Certain parts always end up being used by everyone. All of the lightest and most powerful parts get fitted and all of the fastest, top-end cars end up with the same parts.

And if all the cars end up the same, we're back in the same position we are now

And if all we're talking about is lights and body kits with no engine upgrades, you also end up with a slower lap times because of the extra weight. I agree with whoever said to go back to LFSU

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG