The online racing simulator
FacetrackNoIR to LFS?
(30 posts, started )
FacetrackNoIR to LFS?
I have been attempting to make a free substitute for TrackIR, FacetrackNoIR (only requires webcam, no headgear) to work with LFS via a PPJoy virtual joystick, and I'm not successful.

LFS detects all the axes just fine, I defined them all to their appropriate commands, but LFS won't make the view rotate, pitch or roll if I move my head (aka the joystick). It has worked perfectly when I was testing it before, but it stopped working somehow.

"axis" look is enabled, I have even tested it with both my steering wheel and joystick, it still doesn't work for some apparent reason. Right now I'm using the POV buttons on my wheel.

Before FacetrackNoIR, I had FreeTrack, but it is not fully compatible with Windows 7 64-bit. It worked perfectly before I installed W7 64-bit.
You registered then downloaded and installed the faceAPI? They are not quite clear that this is required.
Quote :After installing this, you will not need to install the faceAPI or the faceAPI demo. The file is quite big (~45MB), sorry: apparently it needs to be...

Maybe it's the LOOK SENSITIVITY 0.00 in the Options menu, under View. If that's at 0.00 it won't work.
I can't find an option that says "look sensitivity" anywhere, unless I put it into mouse or steering look. I'll try reinstalling FaceAPI to see if it fixes the issue.

EDIT: nope, did not work.

I think other people should give it a shot, and check if it works for them, I find it simple to set up, you don't need to rig up an array of LEDs.
-
(JasonJ) DELETED by JasonJ
Yes, look sensitivity is only for mouse look. Sorry.

---

uhmm ok, it's been some weeks sice I got my PPJoy working for another purpose, but in Win7 you need to disable driver signing to make PPJoy work. The PPJoy creator is not going to pay the $1000's M$ wants to officially allow his code to run.

You know about this?

I have Win7 x64 Ultimate.
These are notes I have in my PPJoy install folder:
Quote :Install PPJoy by first disabling driver signing

Accessories >> Command Prompt >> Run As Administrator >>
BCDEDIT -SET TESTSIGNING ON

Then reboot, Test mode will appear bottom right of screen

Then run PPJoy installer

BCDEDIT -SET TESTSIGNING OFF
will stop it working

This allows all unsigned code to execute on your machine. So beware.
I have that testing mode enabled, the Virtual Joystick works in other programs just fine as well. :\

I'll do a fresh reinstall of LFS, as it works in most cases as a last resort.
To save time, instead of a fresh install you can install a seperate version of demo just to try it with fresh settings,

(Something obvious, but might have been overlooked)
I re-read your post and noticed you mentioned that "axis" look is enabled, but make sure you have also assigned the axis to Look Heading[axis] etc. in Controls>>Axes/FF

(Something to try/test)
Instead of relying on facetrackNoIR, first see if the virtual joystick works for you at all in LFS, ie: Remap any other real joystick axis to create virtual joystick movement using PPJoy Joystick remixer and see if that can control the Look Heading.
I did a test myself: I remapped one of my 3 joysticks X-axis to the PPJoy Virtual Joystick 5 X-axis, (yes I have 4 other devices connected). Then I used that virtual axis to make head movements in LFS. It worked fine.
Note: Remixer must stay open to test this. You could even try re-mapping a foot pedal to another virtual axis if you have no other spare joysticks.

Can't imagine why you are having issues if you can see the axis moving about in the Controls>>Axis/FF Available axis sliders when you move your head about. As long as you map them in LFS to Look pitch/heading/roll, it should work.
Like I said in my first post, neither my steering wheel axis or joystick axis work under this circumstance. It has to point to the LFS install.
aye, so it's not related to FacetrackNoIR.
I've just gotten FaceTrackNoIR to work by only using the integrated "fake" trackIR interface, and it works but it's a bit touchy atm.
I'm trying to gather informations on FTNOIR, but had very little success. Every site or post I find on the subject is rather "obscure" to those who don't know much about "virtual" peripherals and such...
Can you please describe what you did?

Did you install FaceAPI libraries?
And what about PPJoy?
Quote from Ripley :I'm trying to gather informations on FTNOIR, but had very little success. Every site or post I find on the subject is rather "obscure" to those who don't know much about "virtual" peripherals and such...
Can you please describe what you did?

I just read through these posts and followed the instructions. It was difficult to set up because I had never used it before, but get familiar with it and you can figure it out.
http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=56424
http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=56837
rfactor http://www.thewayiplay.com/mai ... ic=1177.msg18477#msg18477

Quote from Ripley :
Did you install FaceAPI libraries?

Yes, it's like trying to run a .NET application without the .NET libraries installed, you need to install those API's.

Quote from Ripley :
And what about PPJoy?

You need a virtual joystick to command LFS. LFS will not understand information from a web cam or web cam software (FTNOIR). The FaceTrackNoIR software converts head movements to virtual joystick movements.
Install FTNOIR First and get that tracking your head.
Install PPJoy
Run PPJoy Joystick Driver >> Configure Joysticks
Click Add, Virtual Joystick, Controller Number(next in sequence available)
Check your game controllers menu, you should have an extra joystick

You then restart FTNOIR and set it to send info to the virtual joystick, then you can configure LFS to accept head x,y,z movements from that virtual joystick.

The GlovePIE program used in some examples is to smooth out the result.
Some examples are telling you to use TrackIR fixer. This is so you can use FTNOIR and skip the Virtual Joystick procedure. However this fixer is an illegal hack to get past Natural Point's TrackIR encrypted protocol and send head movements directly to the game. I found the virtual joystick solution worked the same. Just that it requires the extra step (virtual joystick) to setup.

My web cam is only 320x240 @30FPS so end result was crap. You can get it to work with such a crappy cam, but it is not very responsive and appears to be laggy because it is smoothing out bad cam resolution. It's not going to stack up against $300 TrackIR which has a high res cam at ~100FPS
Attached images
Untitled.gif
I'm having the same problems as zippy, and can't set the fake trackir so the head wouldnt go out of the damn car :S
IF i get this, whit this app, we can use webcam for lfs as TrackIr?
Exactly!
Well, looking forward to it !
Having the exactly same problem. FTNOIR works perfectly, but LFS ignores settings of head rotating axis. I tried to set up physical axis of my wheel, but it didn'g give any effect.
I think zippy re-installed LFS because his head axis stopped functioning.
Any progress?
This .ini works great with my old Quickcam Pro 4000. Nice application I must say Be sure to install the latest version + update 4

(save as lfs.ini)

[Tracking]
Smooth=10
NeutralZone=5
sensYaw=200
sensPitch=30
sensRoll=31
sensX=0
sensY=0
sensZ=30
invertYaw=true
invertPitch=true
invertRoll=true
invertX=false
invertY=false
invertZ=false
useEWMA=true
redYaw=50
redPitch=25
redRoll=25
redX=0
redY=0
redZ=31

[GameProtocol]
Selection=4

edit: you do not need to install any virtual joystick drivers, as LFS is Track IR enhanced and recognizes the emulated TrackIR output generated by FacetrackNoIR. Just don't forget to set 'look left/right' to 'axis' in the view options
Quote from Hoshimodo :This .ini works great with my old Quickcam Pro 4000. Nice application I must say Be sure to install the latest version + update 4

(save as lfs.ini)

[Tracking]
Smooth=10
NeutralZone=5
sensYaw=200
sensPitch=30
sensRoll=31
sensX=0
sensY=0
sensZ=30
invertYaw=true
invertPitch=true
invertRoll=true
invertX=false
invertY=false
invertZ=false
useEWMA=true
redYaw=50
redPitch=25
redRoll=25
redX=0
redY=0
redZ=31

[GameProtocol]
Selection=4

edit: you do not need to install any virtual joystick drivers, as LFS is Track IR enhanced and recognizes the emulated TrackIR output generated by FacetrackNoIR. Just don't forget to set 'look left/right' to 'axis' in the view options

Ok, need some help, i`be downloaded and installed that program, i`be sabe as LFS.ini that in your post, then trow the .ini in settings in the Facetrackir dir

I start the program and click open, then i select lfs.ini, i hit Start, i see my face in the Small box, and nothing else, i start lfs and go to a race/track, and configure in view the "Axis" and nothing...

What should i do?
The headtracking will not start until you see the yellow lines which follow the outline/shape of your eyes and chin. This process takes a few seconds
edit: Don't forget to choose the 'fake Track IR' option in the game-protocol option
Quote from Hoshimodo :The headtracking will not start until you see the yellow lines which follow the outline/shape of your eyes and chin. This process takes a few seconds
edit: Don't forget to choose the 'fake Track IR' option in the game-protocol option

Ok, now works, but is normal that say 6hz?, there is a way to use more, cuz in game every time i turn the head L/R it does realy slow and choppy...

Or is the web-cam limitation?
I installed it. but i cant start the application

It says that im missing ippcore-5.3.dll

Im using Windows 7 64bit Home Premium
20 sec google research

click

FacetrackNoIR to LFS?
(30 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG