The online racing simulator
wheel vs keyboard
(23 posts, started )
wheel vs keyboard
ok i have a keyboard and was wondering if i get a wheel if my lap times will get better best lap xfg blackwood 1.36.78
I would say a wheel would definatly improve times. As you have the axis for throttle, break and turning. For best lap times, can stick to using sequential shifting.
#3 - J@tko
I have a keyboard, and my PB is 1.34.24. That took a lot of practice - and a hell of a lot of luck. That was a while ago, and at the mo, my PB is 1.34.78 (set today ) Also, a good setup is crucial. I use Team Inferno setup, that's been modded a little to make it a bit easier to control. (I've attached it cos I'm nice!!) Don't be put off by the fact it says Quali - I use it for shorter races. Just pump up the tyres a bit more for longer (10 laps+) races.
If you get a wheel, my guess is that you'll get into 1.35s within a day, and 1.34s in a week. A wheel makes the car a doddle to control!
Attached files
XF GTI_BL1 Quali.set - 132 B - 240 views
Keyboard is just fine, althought alot less fun, with a car like XFG. However I wouldn't even consider using it to drive any of the openwheelers due to requirement of precise steering and throttle control.
#5 - J@tko
Quote from Crommi :Keyboard is just fine, althought alot less fun, with a car like XFG. However I wouldn't even consider using it to drive any of the openwheelers due to requirement of precise steering and throttle control.

Exactly. I find it hard enough to control the XRT with a keyboard!
#6 - subon
Believe me, its not very hard, but need some experience. I drive with keyboard all the time, and i think that got it

BTW time for wheel in this month, finally !
#7 - J@tko
Quote from Opposite_Lock :Wow, 1.34 is mighty impressive J@tko! I too am a Keyboarder, but never bother with the XFG, so I just gave it a crack and couldn't better 1.39 (using the default Race_S setup.)

How do you guys (keyboard users that is) fair with the XRT turbo? I can't beat 1.29 on blackwood GP, and 1.11.71 is my best on the Rally cross tack. I don't think the latter is too bad, considering the record lies around the 1.07 mark.

Why thank you! To tell you the truth - I think that the RACE_S setup is bollocks. (but that's my opinion!) (and it might be the hard track one that is rubbish - but anyway!) I got that PB in July time, then went on holiday and lost all speed! But now getting it back, slowly. I almost never use any car apart from the XFG, but tried the other two over the weekend. I'm about 5 seconds off my XFG pace in the XRG - but working on it! I almost never use the XRT either. I find it quite difficult to control with the KB, but I can get a 1.30 - just! I wouldn't mind some tips on setup for th XRT on rallycross - as my pb must be about 1.15 - or worse. Most of all - what tyres would you recommend? If I use hybrids, then I just spin out on the dirt, and if I use knobblies - I just spin out on the black stuff!
#8 - robt
Blackwood in XRT, think im in the 25's, might have a 1:24 somewhere on keys. so its possible!
Been struggling along with my keyboard for the last week or so now, just round Blackwood in the XFG.

Slowly getting better and better, but still only around 1.43 as my best.

Will be hooking my old wheel up to the PC tonight so hopefully that will help me get my times down a bit!
i have myself a G25, I dont care much for the fwd, tho im starting to use the XFG, as its nice for starting off in CTRA (XRG is a bit trickier). I'll do a lap of BW tonight, see how it goes.
Still not managed to have a go with the wheel yet, but got my time down to around 1:41 after about 15 laps yesterday. Still know where I can improve my times so hopefully get it down even further tonight and maybe even have a play on a demo server for the first time.
Just to add, if you're on a tight budget, you don't even need an expensive wheel in order to play the sim, any wheel that works at least decently will do. Then you can move on to the best ones as you feel the need for even more precision.

A wheel is like a musical instrument, you don't need a top class guitar if you've just started playing the guitar.
Did a lap or two as I said. 1:41
BL1R XRT Keyboard Stabilized - PB Super tires , Racing - 1:27/1:28, just got into racing though. I saw a lot of really good keyboard users go by..
Quote from Aiden McGeady :Just to add, if you're on a tight budget, you don't even need an expensive wheel in order to play the sim, any wheel that works at least decently will do. Then you can move on to the best ones as you feel the need for even more precision.

A wheel is like a musical instrument, you don't need a top class guitar if you've just started playing the guitar.

Think i will definitely need to buy a new wheel, the wheel i have at home is very old and isnt USB so had to buy a gameport to usb adaptor to even use it but these means i cant configure the wheel properly.

Will just stick to keyboard for a while. Still only around 1:41 but had a few online races last night and watched a couple and it was great fun. Some great drivers out there!
Yea there are. I was looking at lap times, and the XFG definatly looks to be a better choice for races over the XRG, as it has slightly quicker lap times in the WR. Personally im not too fond of the understeer, like it lacks going through the occasional corner hard.
my best at blackwood
blackwood xrt 1.29
blackwood xrg 1.36.54
blackwood xrg 1.39.45
nice man, get s2

Yeah, I was racing on CTRA yesterday, and did some of FB club, i like the XRs better than XFs
Dont wish to hijack the thread here but keyboard is just fine to drive with it just takes quick fingers and lots of practice when i first got s2 my pb on bl1 in a bf1 was 58x now its 52:90.

The best advice i can give you is to keep it straight as possible when making slow/fast sweeping curves that require no braking in the open wheelers straight=fast but if your on full lock every corner your not very straight try tapping left or right as quick as possible . thats the key to going fast on keyboard and wheels aswell i guess.
I use keyboard and my best time is 1:35:59 with over 900 laps done
Quote from Johnnysti :I use keyboard and my best time is 1:35:60 with over 900 laps done

That's nice, this thread is 3 years old btw.
lol.
lol i saw that \

wheel vs keyboard
(23 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG