The online racing simulator
Another day, and another dying PC...
My old medion relic finally gave up so i went and got this 2nd hand PC a few months ago, a hp compaq dc7600, which is one of these....

Specs for this model can be found here if needed.

Mine has the P4 2.8ghz CPU, plus i have added more RAM (2.5gb total) and a dvd drive, apart from that, its stock, im running XP home sp3, comodo firewall and avast antivirus

All fine, until it started playing up earlier on, the first symptom of it starting to go wrong is when browser windows wont load and freeze up, you can still open new tabs, but they dont do anything, you just get a blank white new tab that never ever loads, so at this point i usually close the browser, if you leave it long enough the whole browser shows the 'not responding' blue and white symbol and thats about it, PC deaded.

Sometimes i get an error box which says this...

Doesnt matter if i press yes or no here, as the whole thing goes into an infinate loop and the darned box just comes back up again asking the same question every few seconds regardless of my preference of yes or no.

The keyboard and mouse still respond but just dont do anything as the whole thing has locked up, i click on start and nothing happens, but i can click on stuff like desktop icons, but again, they just never ever load, i clicked on my computer earlier when it did it and 1 hour later i still had a blank my computer window and an hourglass mouse icon, i then could not close it,

If i crtl alt del it lets me into task manager, and i can almost kill processes, until it comes to the do you want to terminate this process yes/no screen, and i choose yes or no, makes no difference which one, task manager glitches so the yes no box has kind of superimposed itself into the task manager main window, its like the box has gone but the image of it has stayed if that makes sense, and then my task manager is frozen too.

Now heres the oddest bit, i can right click on my desktop when this has happened, so if i select properties (havent tried the other options yet) it seems like it has frozen up that part as well, but after literally 10 minutes wait you get the 'bomm' critical stop error sound and an error message, which shows this...

That error makes zero sense, i do have the permissions, as im admin on it and am the only person who uses it, so im definately allowed!

I havent installed anything at all new on this machine for weeks and weeks, the last 3 thing i put on here were about a month or ago, and were photoshop, virtualdj and LFS, so i very much doubt any of those would cause it, plus its been fine for the 3 or 4 weeks since they were installed.

I have done a scan, well 3 virus scans, all came up clean, 0 infections found, malwarebytes anti malware showed no errors either, so im pretty stumped.

Does this sound like a familiar error that one of you maybe have seen before and you might know how to cure it?

Thanks in advance
Try a quick win xp reinstall..
Sounds like a corrupt windows installation to me...format, reinstall windows.
#4 - dadge
are you able to see how old the install of xp is? but yeah, it does look like you're going to have to flatten the pc and start again. lets hope you're backed up.
sadly very little is backed up as the bleedin thing wont stay responsive for long enough to get a blank dvd in, find all the stuff i want and burn it before it dies, so feck it, its formatting now, plus i still have some of my stuff on an old ide hdd from my old pc.

I also had a horrible moment of panic about half way thru the formatting process when i realised that the product key on the case is for xp pro and im installing xp home, how that happened i dont know as it had xp home on it to start with, good old broken medion tower to the rescue again, which has an xp home sticker on, phew!
Right, xp sp1a installed, then sp3 update from a cd installed (i fecked up when i burned sp3 ages ago so its non bootable) so now i am installing numerous sound drivers which are the wrong ones, plus as my version of xp sp3 is about a year old, i most likely will have died of old age by the time windows update has finished.

But, no crashes! :woohoo:
#7 - dadge
install sp1 and sp2. don't bother with sp3. it makes alot of hardware redundant.
Well its running perfectly fine after a clean install, i have been in and disabled various useless services according to blackvipers very handy guide, plus some minor registry editing, a 20 millisecond start menu response time is much more acceptable than a 400ms one lol.

So yeah, i guess windows must have crapped itself in some way, as i havent had a single hint of trouble since reinstalling, so i now have avast av, comodo firewall and MBAM installed as before, and its running very well.

The only thing im wondering tho, is how much performace would i gain from a pentium4 on xp if i upped the RAM from 2.5GB to 4GB, would it be worth it?
with a 32-bit windows or cpu? you'll be capped out at 3gb anyways.

if you really wanted to upgrade the ram though, you might be able to find some with faster timings or bus speed (motherboard willing), but that's probably going too far for a machine that's (unfortunately) outdated.
You wouldn't gain any performance. I assume your hard drive is very old, and it slows down the system so much that any upgrades you make won't help loading times. Anyway, Xp 32-bit won't even recognize 4GB of ram, it will recognize somewhere between 3.25 to 3.5 GB. Honestly, 3GB is a good amount for XP, go for that if you can, anything more than that is a waste of money.
My HDD is a SAMSUNG HD080HJ/P 80GB drive so PC wizard tells me, all i know is that its a SATA drive, so newer and presumably better than IDE, and i am running xp xp3 32 bit.

This thing does seem quite a mish mash of bits really, HDD is SATA, mobo slot for gfx card is pci-e 1x (tiny slot) but im running onboard ATM (cant find a 1x card thats any good which will fit in a sff case) and the DVD drive is IDE lol
On Pentium 4, you won't be gaining much performance from that much RAM. The CPU just isn't fast enough to use it. 2.5 GBs is way more than enough. Money better spent elsewhere, imo
RAM can make up for a shitty HD, I'd say. You offload more of the memory from swap onto your fast RAM. But again, if your computer is bloated with sh!t, it doesn't where it is loaded; the CPU will be busy doing other stuff not giving a rats @ss where things are allocated.

nLite = fast XP = Life is Good = Good XPerience
a solid state hard drive could make a world of difference. but they're expensive.
try to update some patches on your pc its like mines i have 2.5gb ram and it sometimes freezing or i can't hibernate
now i don't have any problems on it
SSDs are good, and $80 can get you a crappy 32GB SSD (still faster than non-raided HDs). Or you can go get two big hard drives (1TB), short stroke, and RAID. Now that would be godly.
It's not worth it to upgrade such an old computer, just let it die and invest your money into a quad-core machine (or better).
Quote from danthebangerboy :avast av

*Loud ass unneeded siren* VIRUS DETECTED! * Popup showing EVERYTHING in C:\WINDOWS *

Or.

*Loud ass siren waking you the hell up from a comfy chair nap* WARNING, WE'VE HAD A PROBLEM! DAMN THIS COMPUTER!

I hate how they make it sound like the def-con levels raised to 2000 and the nukes are aimed at your ****ing doorknob. A simple popup and a click noise is all you need, I don't need air raid sirens.
Go to command prompt and run sfc /scannow

This will check the Windows files and should say if there are any that are broken/duff/corrupt.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :Go to command prompt and run sfc /scannow

This will check the Windows files and should say if there are any that are broken/duff/corrupt.

he already reinstalled windows...
Well perhaps if one of you 'professionals' had suggested this before it may have saved him the time time! Oh well, nevermind, couldn't be bothered to read the whole thread LOL. Woohoo free posts.

Stop being overdramatic. :cry:
who said we were professionals? maybe if you had read the thread sooner........
True but having access to internet only at works means I'm somewhat limited to posting when it's quiet.
spoken like a true professional. you're to blame for having a job!
I know, but since Dan doesn't have a support contract with us I'm afraid we only offer non-contracted support as and when we have the time.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG