The online racing simulator
AI related: Penalties, Pitstop and damaged car behaviours
In overtaking course (training mode) if we touch a car, we couldn't complete the stage. But in a single player race when AI cars cause a collision, they go on without any penalty. Of course there is a huge difference between touching and crashes. AI cars should be penalized such as stop-go or drive through pitlane penalties according to collision results.

In addition to this I've picked up some AI car faults in an SPR file: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=WHBSYIJ8

First of all, AI cars have a linear pitstopping behaviour. All of AI cars go to pitstop on 12th lap. While AI1 repairing at pitbox, AI2 crashes to AI1 straightly as of 14:10. There are no direction change and avoiding crash effort of AI2.

This sweeping fault causes clutch overheating and damaging AI2. Despite the damage, AI2 tries to go on racing and halts on raceline very dangerously (on Lap 13). For race safety, hardly damaged AI cars should be retired and park safely (far from raceline).

Additionally, a weird AI fault occurs after race finish (on Lap 21 - 23:50 and 23:57). AI3 and AI1 don't obey yellow flags and bump into AI2 and AI3 respectively. However AI3 and AI1 was racing properly and avoiding an AI2 crash before the race finish (Lap 15 - Lap 20 period).
In my opinion, the AI system will probably not be so good, because LFS is mainly focused on other things.
I think the AI System is not ready Programed yet, Scawen has alot of other thinks to do first. But yes, i drive too often with the AI and they make stupid thinks in the Pits and on Overtaking Situations, a little wider AI Line would great, they drive like a pearl necklace in a row.
Quote from Flame CZE :In my opinion, the AI system will probably not be so good, because LFS is mainly focused on other things.

Quote from Xenix74 :I think the AI System is not ready Programed yet, Scawen has alot of other thinks to do first. But yes, i drive too often with the AI and they make stupid thinks in the Pits and on Overtaking Situations, a little wider AI Line would great, they drive like a pearl necklace in a row.

Both of you are right. On the other hand, Scawen knows there are many single players in LFS community. But Scawen's AI starting point is far from mine. He is focused on AI speed. IMHO, AI speed is sufficient at present. The main problem is AI's faults. They can't race properly and act such a saboteur. As of Patch Y and earlier ones, the AI system against us was more and more stable. I remember that I used to enjoy 50 -60 laps races against AI's. AI drivers are faster now, but any single AI is a "Takuma Sato".

Quote from Scawen :Hello LFS Racers,

As we said in our news item on 21st August, we have been working on a new tyre physics model. It has a good mathematical basis for the forces a tyre produces under varying circumstances and does feel good to drive, so we are very pleased with the new model. The new physics and plans for the VW Scirocco have inspired some other developments that are now important to get the best experience from the updates.

Most of the remaining development is in the following sections :

- Tyre heating and cooling
- AI driver improvements
- Limited setup system
- Suspension updates
- VW stability control

We'll now talk a little about these things, and some of our plans. Please be aware that these are just plans as we see them now. Plans can change, and they often do, so it is very likely that some things you read below will be different from the final result.

AI driver improvements

Just recently we discovered that the AI were driving around too slowly because they were underestimating the available grip. But because available grip depends on tyre load in a non-linear way, it turns out that some of the programming for the AI drivers needs a little reorganising. Many community members like to drive with AI in single player mode, so it is important for them to drive at a good speed.

This was the latest post about AI improvements by Scawen:

Quote from Scawen :(...)

I think the tyre physics have come along a lot recently. There were some significant changes over quite a long time this year and when I found the handling was quite interesting and certain old issues were sorted, I started to look into the tyre heating, trying to get a version ready again for the testers. That meant sorting out the AI drivers, who only knew the old physics system. If they could drive well in the new tyre physics, they could drive consistent laps and so inform me if the tyre heating was working well.

The AI ended up being about three weeks of work, and I found it personally quite an interesting development time - which is good because that's what I'm here for! Anyway their grip prediction systems are a lot better and they can now drive quite close to the limit, the best and most reliable AI drivers yet seen in LFS. At some point I'd really like to work on their overtaking code, though that is not a high priority for this physics update patch.

So the AI could be crossed off that published list of big things to be done, and I feel the tyres are getting close. (...)

Quote from Flame CZE :This was the latest post about AI improvements by Scawen:

Thanks Flame CZE. I've missed out that.
Its fascinating that they consider the AI to be virtually complete.

As a new player, it makes the game unplayable. I bought a racing game which only works as long as I am way ahead or way behind the AI. If I am actually "racing" then they just push me off the track. Its ridiculous, I dont even recall GP1 in the early 90s having an AI like this... at least it could hit the brakes once in a while.

This should be at the top of their fix list.
Quote from alin1975 :snip

While I agree with your reasoning there is a few things to consider.
First there is only three devs.
And as far as I know Victor is responsible for sound, Eric for textures, cars, tracks, cockpit models etc. (visual stuff) and Scaven who is responsible for physics and basically everything else that moves LFS.
So that mean there is only one person to work on it and that person actually busy with physics and after physics there is long list of stuff that should be done (Here is the list)

And a lot of stuff on this list have much higher priority than AI in game which advertises as "Online racing simulator"
So it wont happen any time soon.
Which is kinda disappointing because personally I prefer racing ofline but with current AI you need to race with sphygmomanometer attached so you can turn off the game when your blood pressure raises to a dangerous level.
As I posted earlier in this thread, the AI system has been remade recently and should be available in the next patch with the new tyre physics.
Well you quoted Scaven who said that AI will make better use of available grip and car capabilities while the main issue here is the fact that Ai just doesnt want to acknowledge you and the only thing Scaven said about this issue is.
Quote :. At some point I'd really like to work on their overtaking code, though that is not a high priority for this physics update patch.

So even if there will be new AI I am afraid it will be only faster not smarter.
Quote from Chupacabras84 :

And a lot of stuff on this list have much higher priority than AI in game which advertises as "Online racing simulator"
So it wont happen any time soon.
Which is kinda disappointing because personally I prefer racing ofline but with current AI you need to race with sphygmomanometer attached so you can turn off the game when your blood pressure raises to a dangerous level.

I must admit I missed the "online" part on the advertisement.

My problem is learning the game. I like racing against others, but its my first time racing with a wheel so I need a lot of training before I go multi (otherwise the online community will really get to hate me lol).

I know what you mean about the blood pressure. Holy crap. I recorded one of my fav AI examples in this short vid (I am in the red car being "overtaken" by the yellow AI car):

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14647272/a3.wmv

I guess I will just have to bite the bullet and go online soon...
That's not bad AI, that's just Michael Schumacher taking his line ready for the next corner.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG