The online racing simulator
Installing a new GPU
(14 posts, started )
Installing a new GPU
Hopefully someone will be able to help me,

I recently purchased a new graphics card (geforce gts250) but have run into a small problem while installing it.
The computer it was supposed to go into has a integrated graphics card from factory. so i went into hardware manger to disable it in safe mode, i shut the computer down installed the new card and rebooted.
But when i rebooted i realised that the integrated chip was not completely disabled so it was still getting power (having removed the heatsink to make room for the new card) it soon overheated shutting the computer down on it's own and not giving enough time to boot windows thus not installing the drivers for the new card.

I was just wondering if anyone knows how to completely disable the onboard chip so i can boot up with the new card without the computer overheating.

the computer is an HP pavillion 6130F.
thanks in advance
You need to disable the integrated video in the BIOS.
Most BIOSes are smart enough to figure this out for you. Where did you remove the heatsink from? Are you sure you haven't actually removed the heatsink from the northbridge on your motherboard?
I removed the heatsink from the chip that say's "geforce 9100".

I tried to get into the bios but i wasn't able. seeing as my computer is an HP the key should be either F1, F2, or esc but none of them work, i'm out of ideas, my only hope is to get into bios i guess, thanks guys.

edit: finally got into bios, but where in there would i go about disabling the GPU??
#5 - dadge
Quote from simulation :I removed the heatsink from the chip that say's "geforce 9100".

why did you remove the heatsync? the reason i ask is because i have a feeling that you might be better off to leave your machine into a shop to have it fitted. rather than randomly pulling heat syncs out of your machine.
do you know someone called Harjin?
Yeah, there is no separate chip for the on-board graphics. It's integrated into the northbridge.
#7 - dadge
what's the odds the op has tried to replace the heatsync without thermal paste too...
I'd love to see a picture of the inside of your computer, simulation.
lol that's nothing, I assume it will look something like this:

To sum up all those flames and nuclear explosions for you, here's what happened. GeForce 9100 IGP is very likely integrated to a chip called Northbridge which is an essential part of the motherboard. It tends to get pretty hot so removing it's heatsink is anything but a good idea.
To get things working again, you have to apply some thermal grease on the northbridge and the heatsink and reattach it. HP computers are known to be a bitch to upgrade because of the customized components they use. You'd better get another card which will fit into your computer. What I was trying to equip a HP PC with a GF 5200, it took me some googling and modding to get one that fitted.
No fire involved. And yes, I did reapply thermal paste before replacing the heatsink.
Attached images
DSCF7118.JPG
DSCF7117.JPG
DSCF7120.JPG
Nevermind ...Fixed it by installing a larger (and modified to make room for the new card) heatsink, now eveything stays cool ...and happy
Wow what a stupid place to put the northbridge... I'm glad you fixed your problem!

Installing a new GPU
(14 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG