The online racing simulator
Serious Bootloader Issues...
(71 posts, started )
#1 - Jakg
Tried a dualboot of Ubuntu on my netbook, which in turn installed Grub - this worked fine for Ubuntu, but Windows refused to boot - using the CD on a memory stick I got into the recover console, but all it did was delete grub... so now I have no way of booting anything.

I've tried countless guides on the net suggesting I explore come commands but none seem to be working.

If I go "bootsect.exe /nt60 all /force" it picks up Windows is installed, and the HDD still has all the data on their. It's also marked as active.

Any suggestions?
#2 - dadge
must-resist-urge.........
#3 - arco
#4 - Jakg
repairconsole -> fixmbr
that should give u win back at least.
Quote from [RCG]Boosted :repairconsole -> fixmbr
that should give u win back at least.

you forgot fixboot. i'm not sure if there's a certain order they have to be in... but if those don't work, just do an overinstall... you won't lose anything except installed patches.
#7 - Jakg
Tried both, neither work...

Will an "overinstall" retain all my programs / settings?
Quote from Jakg :Tried both, neither work...

yes, as long as you tell it to NOT format your disk.
Doubt it, would likely just install Windows over Windows. If you open recovery console, try a fixboot.

Otherwise I'd suggest installing Windows on a spare HD and transfering all your data over from the existing one (so long as it's not been corrupted)
#10 - Jakg
Data isn't an issue - it's the programs and settings that will be an arse to copy.
#11 - arco
Rebuilding the BCD doesn't fix it? That's weird. Did partitions get moved around when you installed Ubuntu?
Quote from Jakg :Tried both, neither work...

You can try a "repair install" if that's what you're asking, that doesn't delete your programs in Windows.
#13 - Jakg
Quote from arco :Rebuilding the BCD doesn't fix it? That's weird. Did partitions get moved around when you installed Ubuntu?

Pass - shrank the Windows partition with Gparted, giving me 20GB of unallocated space, but somehow after asking Ubuntu to "install alongside my operating system" it decided that it was going to take a further 20GB out of the Windows partition (as I suddenly have a 40GB Linux partition I never had before...)

I've re-installed Ubuntu, so at least my PC now boots. Grub gives me the Windows 7 option... but it doesn't work (just get the flashing cursor of doom).
Can you post the contents of your /boot/grub/menu.lst and /etc/fstab? I guess that the Ubuntu miscofigured GRUB. Also, how is your disk partitioned?
This should be in the software section...

Being on of topic is a invitation to destroy the thread itself
Have you tried deleting system32?
... and just when I was about to post something about people around here being mature enough to not hijack perfectly valid thread about quite serious issue Jakg has...
#18 - arco
Output of fdisk -l, and the grub config file?
Quote from MadCatX :... and just when I was about to post something about people around here being mature enough to not hijack perfectly valid thread about quite serious issue Jakg has...

You say it, Off topic is not enough "Mature" to have this kind of th, that why i`be say "Should be in the software section" insted of "Off topic"
Quote from Inouva :You say it, Off topic is not enough "Mature" to have this kind of th, that why i`be say "Should be in the software section" insted of "Off topic"

There isn't even a "software section" and this thread was perfectly fine until 4 or 5 posts ago.
Finally, I can use my signature catch-phrase properly:

Buy a Mac!
Quote from dawesdust_12 :Finally, I can use my signature catch-phrase properly:

Buy a Mac!

In Soviet Russia

Apple pays you

lol jokes apple would never do that
Quote from S14 DRIFT :Doubt it, would likely just install Windows over Windows.

exactly. one of the last steps of the windows install installs the ntldr and configures it properly to boot windows (or whatever seven uses, because i believe it uses a new bootloader). i've done it a few times where doing fixboot/fixmbr didn't work because i changed the drive's position within the system.
Wouldn't something like "fixmbr \device\harddisk(number)" work in that case?

(71 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG