The online racing simulator
How long will LFS last?
(33 posts, started )
How long will LFS last?
I don't know if its an appropiate question, but its something that worries to me. Its the first time that i've been playing a game for so long, and its my wish that last forever but...

What will it be after S3?

[I purchased my S2 license on july 13th 2005]

PD: Sorry for my english
Who knows?
well Scawen has mentioned that LFS would then be opened up for mods, that will extend the life of the game by a few years IMO =P
Has he actually said that, or is that one of the community assumptions that becomes folklaw?
But isnt that diverting from the original topic Al? Shouldnt we start a new thread for that inquiry?

Playful jesting aside, its community assumptions mostly. Although he did express an interest with the idea at last year's LFS UK meetup, if I remember correctly.

Edit: spolling mistooks removed.
Quote from Colin_Chapman :I don't know if its an appropiate question, but its something that worries to me. Its the first time that i've been playing a game for so long, and its my wish that last forever but...

Well I would think it will be a few years before we get to a full S3 at least, so in the meantime we can go apeshit hey!, but in reality if the devs don't start doing some stuff with the AI I'm going to be really dissapointed

I have a ball with making the AI jump through the hoops and we really need them to be able to pit on there own and recognise hot tyres mean slow down or pit and change.

Also Scawen once told me (When I wrote the S1 Manual and corresponded with him), how he'd like to make the AI train at each track then move to the next track in succession until whatever number of laps you had entered were completed at each track. I'd set up a second system just leave it on for a week and come back with highly trained AI. There were some fast AI around in the S1 days, we can get there with S2 if Scawen has time.

We need the ability to train overnight, pit stops and tyre temp awareness. I feel it's every bit as important as the rest of S2 final development.

While Scawen is boss, and he decides what is what, I believe, we'd all like to see at least what's on his to 'do list' from now till S2 final.

That way we are informed and can look fwd to our pet part being on the list and closer to completion.

ShannonN
Quote from Colin_Chapman :I don't know if its an appropiate question, but its something that worries to me. Its the first time that i've been playing a game for so long, and its my wish that last forever but...

LFS will last years and years and forever depands on the devs
A game lasts as long as their are people who love playing it.

Look at MOHAA and Counter Strike 1.6? Quite old games now and get more servers running and players online than most new games like BF2 and CS:S
i personally think it will be around for quite a while. No other games come close to the realism of lfs and when they do, thats when it will fade out
another 10 years.

can't last forever:cry:
Well i think that it will be a few years before we get S3 so a few years at least. Also i will keap playing as long as other people are about to race with. If everyone holds that view it would be forever
Quote from Viper93 :well Scawen has mentioned that LFS would then be opened up for mods, that will extend the life of the game by a few years IMO =P

Scavier haven't said that they will open for mods, just that they might open up for mods. I'd imagine this would only happen when they get sick of working on the game
If nothing better comes around in simworld, forever I think. There is so much things to do and make better. It has been under developtment what, 6 years now? And its not even half done, and it will take atleast 2-3 years to make it to final, S3, version. Who knows, I really hope that forever. Ah... I can imagine 70 years-olds grandpas giving tips how to setup a car for the noobies
Till car technology changes...but then it would still be a historic cars simulator.
Anyway...As much as I love it I don't think it will last more than 10 years.
Look at pc games 20 years ago...The graphics change, the supports also
change. Our up to date systems won't even support lfs. We'll need emulators
On the other hand if a game can last long, it's Live For Speed.
#15 - Smax
I bought an S1 licence is early 2003, played the game for a while, went away and came back late last year to buy an S2 licence and have another go.

S1 was good way back when, S2 is better now, and S3 is still to come, and it seems to me that we're here for the long haul. Especially if the central core of the community continues to cement itself through this forum, regular online racing and social events like the karting trip which is coming up.

Even if it all does an emergency stop on me now, hell it's been more than worth the small amount of money it's cost me, many games have cost me more and given me less in every sense of the word. Kick back and enjoy it mate, we ain't going anywhere just yet.
proof of a game lasting longer than u think it would try here

http://www.airattack.co.uk/club/index.php

airattack has been around since '99 at least and was optamised for dial up and a very low spec pc by todays standards. despite needing a central licenced server it has survived and still has an active international community playing regularly with leagues and individual comps because it has good gameplay

lfs has good gameplay and good online charectoristics and a strong community, so theres no reason why it cant last as long or longer, even when "better" sims come along, AA has survived the all the later versions of fighter ace
GPL has been around since '98 IIRC, and that community is just getting bigger and bigger. So it is possible for a sim to last
Well, LFS, as I've said before is my favourite racing sim as I think its the most realistic game and there is a nice collection of cars. Personally, I think LFS will go on for a good few years even after S3 release. I mean, S2 was really breathtaking with improvement in many departments (AI, gfx, sound and physics). LFS is a game that I think will last for a very long time because once S3 is released, and we really enjoy the new tracks and machinary that I assume we'll get, when modding begins, we then would have real machinary and tracks, WITH LFS'S PHYSICS!!! which would be sweet. I reckon after S3 comes out, and modding begins, LFS will last for at least 5-6 years and you never know, the devs said that they will still develop the game even after S3 is released. I have big hopes for LFS and I think it will be one of the games that will stay appreciated for a long time and even after its time, it'll be remembered with great memories as its the first game to do a breakthrough in physics design. LFS, always has a place in my heart .
LFS will be around for as long as it is worth living (since without LFS, life is not worth living)
I hope that after S3 is released, the devs consider licensing the engine to third-party developers and/or develop and release their own add-on content. I'd be happy to buy add-ons.
well the game will last as long as we do, becus i think most of us here will play the game untill we die lol so there will allways be ppl online and it can only get bigger. hell hope the devs make the money they need to go head to head with GT6 useing S3 lol they got the game play down all they need is money to get real cars and tracks, and this game will pwn GT >_<
It'll be around as long as there are obsessive racing fans who own computers and know a good thing when they see it. Look at GPL for example - released in 1998, sold poorly and was practically abandoned by Papyrus but people recognised there was something special about it. RSC was basically born because of it. 8 years (and 500+ user-created tracks) later and the GPL community is still strong and still releasing great mods :up:

With LFS I think the devs will stick around for a long time to continue the improvements and this little game we all like so much will one day be up there among the all-time sim racing classics (like Test Drive, Outrun & Grand Prix Circuit )
And if modding ever comes into the picture, lord knows what could happen ...
#23 - joen
I assume that when S3 is released all the big features the devs have wanted to be in the game will be there, and that they will stick around after that and still work on the sim, although not in the same way as they are now.
Right now there is a game that has to be finished, because that's what they have set out to do and told the community about.
When that is done, the pressure will be of, and they work on the sim without any expectations, from that point everything that will happen to LFS will be a suprise
Eric will release a new track every once in a while. Victor will keep maintaning LFS World, and Scawen will keep on finetuning and fixing little bugs.
Maybe they'll release some sort of add-on packages for LFS with new tracks and/or cars or something. I'll be more than glad to pay for any official additions.
I´m currently 21 and i think i will last a while , and im very addicted!!! i´ll be playing for the very least till s3 comes out(worst case senario), wich is not close, plus if the comunity doesnt die, wich i believe it wont, this game will be lasting for a very long time, wich can only be good!!!
#25 - Woz
Good games last a long time with online play. Look at CS and Q3 which both pull in people many years after release.

Once S3 is out mod tools will be needed to make sure LFS is very long lived

How long will LFS last?
(33 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG