The online racing simulator
The holy grail 1:33 lap / GTI on BL / Help request
Hello,

I have been playing LFS for awhile now. Being the new guy I didn't care if I wasn't as fast as the other guy, but now its getting old. Not being able to beat my best, a high 1:36 with the GTI on Blackwood. That time would fly, but alot of others are getting around 1:33.
I have tried multiple setups claiming a low time but I haven't really seen a big difference. I'm not a bad driver, my downfall is consistency but I can put down a smooth pass.

I can accept I'm not as fast as long as its a fair competition. While reading other posts about this subject. I came across one that stated "I haven't seen any 1:33 since the game was patched." On that note are these fast racers cheating or taking advantage?
Your text is too big, I cannot help as anything other than normal text doesn't work for 99% of the LFS users...
The latest patch included physics updates, which would affect any highly tweaked, knife edge setups, or any setups that, although not cheating, were having an undesired effect on the earlier physics version, that has since been revised.

I'm not sure if it's available to demo racers, but you could try using the Hotlap Analyser on lfsworld.net, and compare an average lap of yours, to one that's a second quicker, and see where your braking points and lines differ as an example.
#4 - dadge
what's your control method? keyboard, mouse, joypad, joystick or wheel? do you have a replay we could view so that we can see where you're going wrong?
my pb since the last patch:
1st split: 0:30.050
2nd split: 1:07.170
lap time: 1:33.730
the trick is to try to keep as much momentum through the corners. try to turn (your steering wheel) only as much as is needed. scrubbing your tyres will cost you speed. more info can be offered once you upload a replay.
Quote from jasonmatthews :Your text is too big, I cannot help as anything other than normal text doesn't work for 99% of the LFS users...

My bad.

Quote from EeekiE :The latest patch included physics updates, which would affect any highly tweaked, knife edge setups, or any setups that, although not cheating, were having an undesired effect on the earlier physics version, that has since been revised.

I'm not sure if it's available to demo racers, but you could try using the Hotlap Analyser on lfsworld.net, and compare an average lap of yours, to one that's a second quicker, and see where your braking points and lines differ as an example.

Thanks for the recommendation, I will check that out sounds really useful.

I did snatch up a few 1:32 replays (hotlaps). I test drove them and it kinda gave me an example of what it requires to make such a good lap. Even after watching the replay, I still couldn't get anything under 1:36.

Quote from dadge :what's your control method? keyboard, mouse, joypad, joystick or wheel? do you have a replay we could view so that we can see where you're going wrong?
my pb since the last patch:
1st split: 0:30.050
2nd split: 1:07.170
lap time: 1:33.730
the trick is to try to keep as much momentum through the corners. try to turn (your steering wheel) only as much as is needed. scrubbing your tyres will cost you speed. more info can be offered once you upload a replay.

I'm using a Logitech Wireless Force. Its a cheap wheel but it gets the job done.

On the replay, I don't have one at the moment. I will definably post something up, sometime tomorrow. Perhaps using a few of my better setups and we can analyze how they perform.

Thank you & appreciate your help,
#6 - bbman
[RANT]Well, seeing that the WR is from Sept. 09, which is well after release of any related physics updates not seeing any 1:33s after the patch (which one exactly?) is either blurting utter tosh or down to only driving with (very) inexperienced drivers (looking for easy prey, that guy?)... Also, there are 186 people who got into the 1:33s who also bothered to upload their hotlap, which means there are loads of people who can do that online especially when they can utilize the draft to get an extra speed advantage over driving alone...[/RANT]

Sorry, the text above is in no way intended to discourage you... On the contrary, given that you're not hindered technically you should get into the 103 %-times easily... 103 % of the WR is about 1:35.72, so already not that far away... But, Blackwood and XFG - being one of the few demo-combos - is well visited and known, so that time likely still not cut it in a race... You should be aiming for losing not more than half a second per minute lap time... Getting such a lap time consistently will get you a decent position in a race already... So, thats a 1:34.5 then... You being in the 1:36es means that you're doing something basic wrong (sorry, you are) - either the line or the braking or both... The good news is though that once those bad habits are eradicated, you should see your times tumble very fast indeed...

But as pointed out, with a replay we could analyze best what's wrong and where you could/should gain the most improvement...
Quote from bbman :[RANT]
But as pointed out, with a replay we could analyze best what's wrong and where you could/should gain the most improvement...

Now I understand the the patch 1:33 theory is ruled out. I have to agree, I am doing something wrong.

I'll get to work on the replays and I just got my S1 so hopefully I can get a better understanding.
i can't do a 1:36.xxx to begin with.
My PB -

0:30.060
1:07.060
1:33.840

Another thing is, when you're doing Heel'n'Toe, don't push the pedal to the max whilst you're clutching down, just blip it a bit. That was one of my mistakes which cost me a bit of time in every corner.
Srry if your offended by big text. On my screen it doesn't look that big. My nose isn't touching the monitor either.

Here's my replay of a GTI on BL. Its a 1:38 on the second lap. I wanted to post my average lap time and usual drive.

I used the 4 set down on infernos listings for GT on BL. Brakes were on 600 and at 70% to the front I believe.

[NR]pittpulga 1:12.290

http://setupfield.teaminferno. ... ar_id=50&p_version=S2
Attached files
GTIBLreplay.spr - 146.9 KB - 153 views
XFG_112.set - 132 B - 1002 views
big text
Quote from hp999 :My PB -

0:30.060
1:07.060
1:33.840

My PB is roughly

Thanks for sharing is must be taking the last two turns wrong. Replays I have seen the last turn they slide out to the others sides apex. My runs are pretty stable through there. So I'll try to push it.
The big difference between a good and a slow lap is:

1. Dont smash the throtle, if you make a turn with care, even though you think you're slow, you'll do a 1:07 2nd split...

2. The 3rd split. I can do a 1:07 2nd split but my pb is 1:34.48, the big difference in the lap is the 3rd split.
Quote from Si Mclaren :The big difference between a good and a slow lap is:

1. Dont smash the throtle, if you make a turn with care, even though you think you're slow, you'll do a 1:07 2nd split...

2. The 3rd split. I can do a 1:07 2nd split but my pb is 1:34.48, the big difference in the lap is the 3rd split.

I agree,
These or you 1:33 people must be machines with big metal balls. I mean being able to constantly do these low time laps without screwing up a single turn and while racing others.

One thing I did notice, on the first turn I get alot of under steer if I try to keep with the packs pace. What should I adjust to make my front tire stick better? I understand line and speed all play a part of this but if I had to adjust something where would I start?
It's the beginners forum, and you have people coming in here to do nothing but moan about differently formatted text?

Good god we need to get the forum administrator to disable this function of Rich Text editing if it causes so much offence that it requires interrupting a good honest beginners thread.

/rant

The understeer at the first corner could be many things, and it's hard to pin down would they could be without seeing a replay.

It could be the HUUUUUUUUUGE temptation to try and "win the race in the first corner", which leads to braking even a fraction later and carrying too much speed.

It could be that they're using an extra few inches of race track before turning in, creating a larger, thus faster turning radius. It could be sensitivity on the throttle that allows them to be right on the edge without causing slip.
It could be that they're trail braking somewhat in to the corner, keeping weight on the front axle.

If you do record a replay, make sure you start with a good few laps of "90%" pace, before really going for it 101%, as these can be neater, and can be more telling of where you're going wrong with a line or braking point.

I don't drive the GTI much, but from what I remember of it, it's all about being undramatic, and not turning the wheel a single degree more than you need to to JUST make a corner exit. You can hear the engine pitch bend flat whenever you start to turn the wheel.
Under 1:36
Try visiting the Redline Racing Demo server 1.

I'm on most evenings after 18:30 BST.

RedlineQuinn is my name.

I can usually help people get from 1:36.xx time to 1:34.xx.

My PB is 1:33.78.
First you need to watch a little, how to take the corners. Go to some server and watch carefully Then you need to practice that, just practice.
PB:
0:29.91
1:06.73
1:33.60 XRG , FWD is not my favourite
Quote from DeviantDigi :Srry if your offended by big text. On my screen it doesn't look that big. My nose isn't touching the monitor either.

Here's my replay of a GTI on BL. Its a 1:38 on the second lap. I wanted to post my average lap time and usual drive.

I used the 4 set down on infernos listings for GT on BL. Brakes were on 600 and at 70% to the front I believe.

[NR]pittpulga 1:12.290

http://setupfield.teaminferno. ... ar_id=50&p_version=S2

you can use what ever size text you like. if people have issues with the size of text you use in a public forum then that's their problem.
so, i've watched the replay. you seem to roll off the brake too soon and too slowly. you're also braking a tiny bit too early.
the braking on T1 was ok, but again, you rolled off the brake too slow and for too long. this compramised your apex speed. the chicance (t2 and t3) should be flat out. do not lift off the throttle.
the braking point for the next corner (off the back straight T4) is a tiny bit too early. and you changed to 2nd instead of staying in 3rd.
it's the same theme for the rest of the lap. you just need to carry more speed through the corners and brake a bit later.
are you using auto or manual gears?
@DeviantDigi

from what I saw on that demo, youre having too much neutral time, by that I mean youre neither braking nor accelerating, youre just rolling down

some racers say that a car should constantly be accelerating or brakeing, no in between

secondly, youre not cutting that first chicane enough, in T1 go wide to make use of the road and come to the right side so you can cut T2 smoother...

and allways use as much of the road as you need

third thing, after the straight, youre brakeing to early, I found that I can start brakeing immediately after I DONT see the 100 meter sign, so try to step on the brake hard on the 100 meter sign, shift down two gears, while slowly taking your foot of the brake, so you dont block the front wheels, before you touch the apex, push the gas down (you will get better times if you brake more before the turn and then having higher speed out of the turn)

I was able to get my times down to 1:34 just watching other replays and trying to match the corner speeds they had...

I noticed that your T1 speed was around 70kph while you should be doing 85 trough it, becouse 90+ is possible afaik

I've been playing LFS mostly at the last few months of CTRA so that was a great place to learn how to drive most tracks, sadly there is no servers like that anymore, except invite servers and league/cup training grounds

hope any of this helpped
Reporting back,

I tried your suggestions, I'm a better driver but my times are slower. Go figure right :P? Hahaha

you going to seem slower at first. you're changing alot about your driving style. you're paying alot of attention to the finer details which will take more time. but in the long run, you'll be smoother, your tyres will last longer and your lap times will start to drop.

keep lapping and the times will come down on their own.
Can someone do me a huge favor?

Find a setup (something I can get my hands on). Get a low time (-.--<1:36) Then post the setup?

I still haven't had much luck, this way I can scratch off tuning from my fail list.
Here's the setup I use, was given to me by a team mate. PB with it is 1.33.4 I think, but more usual times are mid to high 33's in races.
Attached files
XFG_dikbl1.set - 132 B - 996 views

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG