The online racing simulator
Car projects thread
(48 posts, started )
i get ya..but i still just want gas for a car..maybe its cause its more traditional, maybe cause all the extreme examples of cars have gas (lamborghini's ferrari's ect.). not sure.
Quote from theirishnoob :my little tiny 306 van had a solid HDi lump in it and got stupidly high mpg without even trying as i rallied the life out of it.

seriously...

ive left more cars going " wtf... thats a peugeot ?! " then any other car in my entire life...

with tons of tools, extra diesel etc in the back...

i always wanted a diesel 5 seirse for drifting...

but that guy beat me to it ( the alt use of diesel that is. )

Tis funny when you look back and see their faces (especially ricers) when they were just owned by a Kia.
#28 - Jakg
Quote from logitekg25 :diesel is pretty much the way to go. less fuel consumption, for how much power they make. they can be quiet. they are more efficent. they work hard. but there is something that keeps me wanting a car thats gas

Because diesel is very very boring - it sounds rubbish, and the torque curve is annoying if you want to "make progress".

A diesel is something you buy with your head not your heart.
Quote from Jakg :A diesel is something you buy with your head not your heart.

Exactly.

On the subject of noise; Diesel is loud, always. I have yet to hear a diesel idling quieter than a comparable petrol car. As for driving, even if the diesel might be quieter at a certain speed due to different gearing and therefor lower RPM, it'll still sound rubbish and unpleasant. All the diesels I've driven or been a passenger in are louder than my car under normal operating conditions, but then my car, despite being a petrol, does 130kph (Austrian Autobahn speed limit) at about 2.9k RPM in 6th, lower than your average diesel, especially with a 5spd box.
Quote from Jakg :Because diesel is very very boring - it sounds rubbish, and the torque curve is annoying if you want to "make progress".

I dunno, my 150bhp Mazda 6 weasel is pretty decent at "making progress".

Torque curve isn't too bad, globs of it from under 2000rpm all the way up to the heady heights 5000rpm , not overly exciting, as the torque curve is fairly linear, but it goes very, very well, well enough to go up against the majority of traffic on the road today, and with a 6sp box, I am getting about 2300rpm at 80mph, very nice cruising car.

A weasel pretty much handles just as well as its petrol brother, so any smiles coming from handling are there regardless of fuel type.

I get around 51mpg avg out of mine, compared with the (reported of other forums) 35mpg of the 2lt petrol, and even worse, about 25mpg of the 2.3 sports!!!.

Bit of a no brainer unless you are flush with money I guess, but i do agree its a "head rules over heart" issue, obviously a diesel car is never going to "stir the blood" like a revvy petrol engine.
#31 - Jakg
Its more of a case that you have to change gear a lot, and they run out of puff very quickly - thats not to say it's not that fast, but certainly a petrol would be more fun.

But as you say, it's a no brainer money wise which is why I have a diesel on the drive...
Does depend alot on the engine TBH, my 307 used to run out of puff very quickly, I also found the MG ZT I test drove suffered the same problem, a very narrow (even for a diesel) torque band.
#34 - senn
Quote from Jakg :Because diesel is very very boring - it sounds rubbish, and the torque curve is annoying if you want to "make progress".

i never had trouble with diesel, if anything i prefare it because i never really had to rev the arse out of the van, nor any bmw/audi/skoda etc ive driven because if your slick with the gearbox and how you drive...

their great, much more rewarding then a petrol mg/rover. seriously, when a poxy little van like that worth 1k tops, pulls away from cars worth 10+...

you look and kick back while their all like .

its a fun life....

OT anyone seen that thread about the guy who puts the scirocco body on the s2k... that thing is insane.
Quote from theirishnoob :
OT anyone seen that thread about the guy who puts the scirocco body on the s2k... that thing is insane.

Why is it off-topic? This is the car projects thread. Please post a link.
does this engine actually run? XD
he wants to route all that power through a standard 4WD transfer case ("cheap to replace when they break") ...

I am a bit surprised about the smallish diameter of the pipes after the second turbo, but I guess at that stage there is so much pressure the air just liquefies ..
http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum ... ol-duramax-drag-ute-67208

You could've posted the whole thread.

Anyway, he made a huge work, built awesome engine and ruined the car imo. I have a great respect for this man for all the work he has done, but patrol should never ever ride on tarmac, they are meant to ride in 1,5m deep shit. Or maybe 4x4 guys don't drive cars which aren't or at least weren't off road vehicles at all
Quote from KiRmelius :http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum ... ol-duramax-drag-ute-67208

You could've posted the whole thread.

Anyway, he made a huge work, built awesome engine and ruined the car imo. I have a great respect for this man for all the work he has done, but patrol should never ever ride on tarmac, they are meant to ride in 1,5m deep shit. Or maybe 4x4 guys don't drive cars which aren't or at least weren't off road vehicles at all

And the guys with normal FWD family cars just NEED to get everywhere where their cars have no way of going, funny how it goes?
Seat Ibiza, RWD, sequential ge ... electronics and whatever

a very detailed write-up written in episodes for this thing, from what I gather the builder works at McLaren and knows his bits and bytes (and thermodynamics)
Quote :To get round this, i developed a system that has a high bandwidth (able to respond very fast) MAP sensor fitted to each intake runner downstream of the individual throttle plates. By using the engine position sensors (Cam/crank sensor etc) my system can then sample each of those MAP sensors in the correct order, and only during the time the intake valve is open. As this "ignores" the pressure in the runners for the rest of the time, the signal to noise ratio is excellent, and the system reports a highly accurate charge density value per runner. This means you get a good, stable load determination, with excellent noise rejection and repeat ability.

^ I only have one question.

WHY?
Because Finland.

RIP BMW.
-
(Wenom) DELETED by Wenom
It actually wouldn't look bad if you ditched the running lights (or indicators?), got rid of the muscle car stance and gave it a better set of rims and tires.

Car projects thread
(48 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG