The online racing simulator
GIMP help
(11 posts, started )
#1 - Zay
GIMP help
Ok, just started skinning with gimp and I have a few questions.
1.How to make the whole car a different colour for example the xrt is by default white how can i change it to say, red?
2.When I get logos and such from say google images, how to remove the white background. I jus want the actuall logo.
sorry for the noob questions and thanks for your help
zay
Get the Master Skinnerz pro kit for the cars you want to skin. Open the .psd file on GIMP (I think the latest version supports .psd files by default) and turn on layers by hitting shift+L).

The layers are named.
You can use the fill colour tool to fill in the designated bits (boot, hood, roof, front etc). You'll get the hang of it and then move on to using multiple colours etc.

As for the logos, try and search for .png of the logos. i.e. seach as "Wurth .png" and you might a .png image without the white background (search and you'll see what I mean).

As for .jpg logos with the white background, theres a tool to select colour (I think its the magic wand like thing, not sure). Click on the white bit, and it should grab the whole white area. Check settings to change how much of the edge of the logo is selected. You can right click and click select invert to select the logo (only the logo will be selected, as its the opposite of selecting only the white bit).

Play around a bit, go through the LFS manual's bit about skinning. Check the forum and Master skinerz site for guides, kits and logos etc. Good luck.

E: If you want to start off making a crude skin, just use the default skin off the CMW viwer's lfs/data/skins folder and paint over it. NOT Recommended. Make use of the Master skinnerz skin kit with their wireframes.
#3 - Zay
Thanks alot man! This worked for abit, but now suddenly any .png or any text doesnt show up? I checked the colour, and it is different, any ideas what could be wrong?
It could be behind a layer or you overlayed it with a layer.. A picture would help us see what you are describing
#5 - Zay
Hmm, well I started a new skin andf it seems to be workin fine, but on the old skin it is still not showing up. However, when I move off the first layer(the skin so far) I find all the .png images and text underneath that, on the master skinnerz template.
Whatever, weird problem, but its working with the other skin, so no bigy
thanks
zay
#6 - Zay
Hmm, actually the same thing is happening with the new skin! Please help me,
thanks,
zay
No idea what you're trying to say

IMO, pasting logos and texts into their own layers works out well for me. I think the shortcut to create a new layer is CTRL+Shift+N. You can directly paste the logos on to, say the "roof" layer, but if you have to do some modifications to the roof colour you'll be in trouble if you've pasted the logos and added text.

i.e. create a seperate logo-only layer for the layers, OR if you're going to be using alot of logos/texts, use seperate layers for all of them; "Roof-logo" layer, "Right-side-logo" layer, etc. You'll adopt your own methods as you go on - specially as you learn from mistakes.

PS: All those layers are going to be clutter, and kind of hard to find. Keep moving them so they're just above their relevant base layer.

i.e. keep the "roof-logo" layer above the default "roof" layer, and such...

There are ALOT of skinning-related resources in this forum and other related sites. Please do search and use them to make fantastic skins!

E: Make sure when you're pasting a logo/text, you've selected the correct layer. I usually end up pasting/editing stuff in the wrong layer.
As Silver said make sure you keep your layers in the right order, if you need to lift or lower a layer up or down the list just click and hold it then drag it up or down.

Have a look at this post (9th post down) over on msz, it explains very well how layers work with skinning : http://skinnerz.proboards.com/ ... mp;thread=1936&page=1

Hope this helps
#9 - Zay
Ok, Thanks for your help guys:P Im a total noob tho, so how do u make a new transparent layer over my current one and then select the logos to go on that layer so they show up?
Thanks
zay
Say you need to add a logo to the side of the car. On the Master Skinnerz pro-kit, find the appropriate layer for that relevant side. We'll call the layer "Left".
Click the layer name, "left", to select that layer. Press Ctrl+Shift+N to create a new (transparent) layer - this will be created directly on top of the "left" layer. Name the layer "left-side logos" or something that you can easily recognize.

Now open up the logo that you need on another window. To make it easier to explain, lets say only the logo shows up on that file/window. An image that dont need to be trimmed to get to the logo, something simple like this:

On the mobil 1 image, hit Ctrl+C (or use Edit>Copy) to copy the whole image.

Now go back to your prokit and click the layer we named "left-side logos". Press Ctrl+v to paste it. Even though you pasted it, it still remains sort of floating (if you look at the layers list - it'll show the image as floating layer (or something similar).

Move the logo around, resize it, rotate it - do whatever till you're happy with the oritentation and size. Once you're done, right click on the logo and select - (aah I cant remember the term, and I dont have Gimp atm...) something which means flatten or merge down (I think). What this does is it attaches the logo on to the "left-side logos" layer. The floating layer is no more - it's now intergrated into the "left-side logos".

Find another logo, copy, paste on to left-side logos. Move, resize, rotate and merge down (or flatten or whatever that term GIMP uses).

If all these layers sound too complicated, start off making rough skins. Open up the default skin and paint over it. There will only the default skin layer (background). When you paste a logo and merge it, it'll be fixed on to the painted body. If you need to edit the logo or the paint later, it would be almost impossible, but I think you better start of with a few crude skins till you get the hang of Gimp...
If it helps Zay I've attached a .psd of a basic uf1 skin (couple of stripes and logos) with a couple of layers set up, feel free to download it and have a look, edit it etc.

Link : http://www.megaupload.com/?d=RYHZYHRN

GIMP help
(11 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG