The online racing simulator
ROC Type Servers
(13 posts, started )
ROC Type Servers
Hey guys...i am a lfs player for like 8/9 years or so, but barely visit the forum, so i dont know if this question has ever come up! I believe it must have, because the concept is simple and fun....

Due to its limitations, there are many styles of racing that cant be driven in LFS, such as long rally stages, hillclimbing and many others...but some few i believe could be made with great success!

Yesterday i was on a drift server (one of the unique times i entered a server this kind), and noticed the good layout it had...it was even good for racing!
Then i remind about ROC (Race of Champions) or Special Stages in rallying, and how i had never seen such thing in LFS....

Why havent i never seen severs of this type ou there?

Can you imagine 10 guys in a Server, racing 1 vs 1 each time, going thru elimination rounds, with penalizations for hitting tyres and cones (same as in Driving School)....i believe it would be a great time!

What are your thoughts about this? Is there a reason with some of this kind cannot be done...?

I didnt had time to search all over the forum about this, but if i duplicated a thread , i am sorry....
Been involved several events running the ROC system so far. I don't find it so much interresting TBH, since it is basically close to hotlapping on layouts that are very similar to each other(mainly because you can only use bl3 for this as it is the only wide map with ramps, so there isn't much space to make a large and wide layout). It gives very little track time also. For example if you're knocked out in the first heat it's all over for you after roughly 2-3 minutes of driving but several tens of minutes of waiting.

Anyway you probably won't find any public servers using this concept. This probably can only work in organised events since it'd require a big admin presence(calling the drivers, watching if anyone' doing unexpected or hasn't understood the rules). Perhaps it could work(-ish) on public servers with an insim but it'd certainly require a lot, lot of work.
#3 - bbman
Reminds me of the (now defunct/hibernating?) Head-to-Head Racing Series, except there was only one car per track and no layout was used...
Quote from bbman :Reminds me of the (now defunct/hibernating?) Head-to-Head Racing Series, except there was only one car per track and no layout was used...

Rather similar concept indeed. But you're wrong AFAIK, there was two cars at a time on track. The elimination system was the same than ROC. They were using road tracks, with no layout, so that makes quite a big difference to the ROC concept since there was real track action, this wasn't just an hotlapping concept.

The whole thing is officialy hibernating AFAIK, but I can't see it getting back to business any time soon since the SRS folks are all busy with life/other stuff from what I know.
I dont see why it needs an admim present so strongly....

Some drag servers had a feature that it called by the driver name, it also worked as elimination rounds, it had racing lights working every round. To this all you need is add the feature of penalization for knocking down cones and whatever, and there you go....

A board showing all info, time + penalty = total time, and it was all, i think....

Too bad it doenst get so popular this format....it would be very pleasant!
Quote from GreyBull [CHA] :... Perhaps it could work(-ish) on public servers with an insim but it'd certainly require a lot, lot of work.

Quote from guivans :I dont see why it needs an admim present so strongly....

Some drag servers had a feature that it called by the driver name, it also worked as elimination rounds, it had racing lights working every round. To this all you need is add the feature of penalization for knocking down cones and whatever, and there you go....

A board showing all info, time + penalty = total time, and it was all, i think....

Too bad it doenst get so popular this format....it would be very pleasant!

That's a insim, exactly what he said, but, for that to work, someone had to program it you know... Its time consuming as hell and i dont really know if ppl would appreciate that, there's a drift server with 1on1 battles, and for me, it sucks, waiting time sucks, 'always the same layout' sucks, 'waiting line crashers' sucks, everything sucks there (and why? No admin, no proper insim), but the first time i went there and read that in the server description i was like "Ohhh this gotta be nice"...
we had ROC in the hungarian championship. was pretty fun thats for sure.
most memorable when it was on bl park with ramps+fxr. jumping over each other so close and even closer finishes.. Yes we should have servers like that
Quote from bbman :Reminds me of the (now defunct/hibernating?) Head-to-Head Racing Series, except there was only one car per track and no layout was used...

I suppose hibernating works, though I wish we at SRS could run it again.
get it conifrued, ill host then work the kinks out.

sounds like great fun as i wish to see how well people can drive slowly, trying to aviod the red/white barriers of doom.
Quote from e2mustang :we had ROC in the hungarian championship. was pretty fun thats for sure.
most memorable when it was on bl park with ramps+fxr. jumping over each other so close and even closer finishes.. Yes we should have servers like that

i dont think that ramps is a good idea, it will hurt the cars, i think you can make the track in that way that you wont cross at the same time!

but i like the idea
We need to get Face2Face to do it again

-
(delis) DELETED by delis
Good to see some people motivated with it....

Its true i dont know how much work is involved to get it done, but im gonna try to find a layout i have done some time back, and ill put it here! If i remember correctly, i had dome some layouts where 2 laps would give a total amount of time of 1:30 mim, on a xrt, wich sounds a good lenght for it!
I found one layout....this was our best at the time!Still some details to improve, but i like the course a lot! I remember that one line was faster than the other, some some tweaking is needed to equal things more!

Take a ride yourselves and see if you like...
Attached files
BL3_GCR_novo1.lyt - 2.8 KB - 127 views

ROC Type Servers
(13 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG