The online racing simulator
in search of a LEGAL program
(59 posts, started )
yea true true,
shooner, where do i get the touchdown prog downloaded?i can't find it , only thing i can download are the .pdf files
-
(Schooner) DELETED by Schooner
i dont got 10'000$!!!! or even 50'000$!!!
ill keep my hobby: webdesigning.
i can do it good and i like it, and it doesn't cost 10'000$!!
You dont seem to be sure what you actually want to do. Coding a whole physics and graphics engine from scratch is insane, specially when you dont have good coding experience.
At this point, you should really take a few hours (or more) and think about what you actually want to do. Do you prefer programming the physics (= lots of math), or are you rather an artist (model cars/tracks, create textures, etc). If you have never dont any of those 2 things, you should give everything a try to find out WHO YOU ARE. Thats a major point of game design! You must find out what your skills are.
Start some small programs to get into programming, and try modelling a few objects or maps for a game with a well documented engine, like HalfLife or Quake. No need to use the latest and newest engine - the basics are mostly the same. Actually its a benefit to use an older engine, beause the tools are not as complex.

When you have got an overview about the whole thing, you will know what you like more. Programming - which is more complex to learn, and get to a level that allows you to start a big project like e game, or modelling - which is easier to learn, but requires to chose an engine wisely.
I guess rFactor is indeed a good start for a racing simulator. If you rather want to make a fun racer, you need something else of course.

Its all about planning - the most important work takes place because you actually start working
eeerrrmmm ORION sorry to say this but eerrr: allready 5 people told me that and eerr i gave it up?thanks for the post tho
Quote :If you rather want to make a fun racer, you need something else of course.

what then ? of game you mean?but from rfactor, i can't find the texture stuff and so, o ill stick with webdesigning
If you give up all the time you will never finish a project

And its not me who wants to start making a game, its YOU. So its your decision what your game shall look like. As I said before, a bit more organization and planning isnt a bad idea to start with
i'm not giving up all the time!!i just realize that with my uni-braincell and my knowledge it wont go
#32 - Ant
If you are interested check this out ftp://ftp.idsoftware.com/idstuff/source/q1source.zip

its the original quake source. Its not that complicated, a bit messy though. If you can understand this code that you probably could make a game, given time. However if this is hard, you might want to look at making a mod for an exsisting game. You get ther personalised feel with a quater of the effort
As someone with a Computer Science degree and who makes games it seems like you don't know enough on the topic to know what you want to do, if you want to get into programming, go buy a book and start programming something very small and very simple, anything. For an overview on what a large scale game takes check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_development
AAARRGGGHHHH!!!
i don't wan't to make a game anymore!!!
if an admin reads this, delete this trhread or something!
pretend like the thread doesnt exists anymore!
sorry for all the people who searched things for me, it was verry helpfull, but i think ill just play the games...
#36 - joen
hehe, all these people just want you to go study programming and 3D modelling, so we'll have an LFS-killer next year. So, go study
No pressure
Go learn Photoshop first.
i can do photoshop!!
Start with a BASIC such as Blitz3D or Darkbasic Professional ( I preffer Blitz3D of the two ). They will both work with physics libraries and have integrated 3d engines, DarkBasic Professional also has force feedback controller support built in (although a 3rd party sells an extension for Blitz3D).

These languages will teach you programming methodologies without the burden of working with a language like C++ and allow you to achieve interim results. Blitz3D or indeed it's bigger brother BlitzMax (3D engine due for release later this year) is perhaps a better stepping stone to C++ later on than DarkBasic Professional. BMax in particular as it is an object orientated language like C++ - although not really a BASIC and perhaps a bit much for a first timer.

Making a reasonably realistic car simulation is actually an advanced programming topic, as soon as you get onto a programming forum they'll tell you to start with something simple like Pong. They're right. Although it doesnt have to be pong, a skidmarks remake maybe...

When you get used to programming concepts, in a year or two, and you're starting to understand how to move data about and getting to grips with how games work and are structured, then a move to C++ will be much easier than trying to start a fresh with something so complex.

If you want to get into software development, start simple, learn the ropes. There's no short cut - point and click software just doesnt cut it.
But the funny thing about programming is how simple it all seems when you've been doing it a few years.

So don't get dis-heartened and have fun with some simple game mods for a while. Gradually you'll begin to develop some good knowledge.
yea.. but people still don't realize that i putted the idea of making a game out of my head!like becky...ill just make mods...or at least try to...
well you never know, If you maintain an interest in it over the next few years you may find you develop enough knowledge to attempt your own game.
It's not that I didnt realise you are no longer interested, my thoughts on it are given for anyone who reads the thread with interest in the subject.

At least you gave up before you started, so didnt loose any investment
yea, i dint meant to offence you(right word right? offence?)
ill study now... just made a skin :
i know this doesnt have to do anything with the subject, just to show to kajojek that i can photoshop
http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=9119
-
(ORION) DELETED by ORION : wrong thread... :X
woaw dude, that needs some explaination for me..
Quote from ORION :Very stiff springs have a very fast oscillation frequency, I guess thats the reason for him having to use so many calculations per second.
Nontheless a very nice and interesting program

Wrong thread bro!
didnt understand it anyway what do u think of my skin?
I'm sorry but the skin is awful! My 7 year old girl can do better with her knowledge of photoshop. You say you know photoshop? Yours is a 5 minute job with paint. Go look at some of the skins here before you post one as an afterthought and ask for feedback. I do not mean to be offensive but those fat rough fuzzy lines are not nice. The decals are roughly put on, I think skinning as a substitute for designing a full game may not be a career for you.
ty for the compliment!
it was a quick thingy.....
ill read some how-to's or something
Go here if you are interested in learning how to skin:
http://skinnerz.proboards26.com/index.cgi
Lotts of useful info, tools, tutorials and templates, resources for decals and textures, ideas, competitions, cut out badges, lunch vouchers and free cinema tickets as well as student discounts at the weekend (well, some of that).

in search of a LEGAL program
(59 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG