The online racing simulator
in search of a LEGAL program
(59 posts, started )
in search of a program
there are alot of programs to make games and such:
fps creator
game creator
etc...
but i wan't to find a program to make a car game... just for my own, to be busy... i know its a hard job...i won't be lfs but pure fun.. any help?
c++ or wathever? just heard that somewhere i know some programming "language" any tips or so would be welcome

i might sound like a noob (wich i'm possibly am...) but i would like to make a car game...

me noob
Well, C++ is the language most of today's games are written in (LFS as well). But it's not as easy as you might think. You can get some C++ compilers for free, but the actual programming is the hardest part.
ty, and can't i use a 3D modeler and then use c++ to make it a game or so??or isn't there a program that u just need to insert your own models and such??
or is c++ the solution?
C++ is a programming language. You can either program everything by ourself (including the 3D and physic engine) or use ready made physic/graphic engines.

I think the ladder is what you are looking for. Take a look at the rsc community project "Motorsport" for an example what is possible:
http://www.motorsport-sim.org/
#5 - joen
I think you're underestimating the process of making a game from scratch. Not that I'm an expert but it's a bit more than getting some 3D models and then make a game out of it.
If you really want to do this, I suggest you first learn to program some simple programs before taking on the challenge of building a racegame
I'm doing Visual Programming at college and trust me, its not as easy as you seem to think.

I'm only using Visual Basics 6 at the moment but i have looked at C++ yet but i've been told its basicly the same but worded different etc etc.

You might need extensive knowledge to make anything at least move in a 3D environment via inputs from KB, Mouse etc.

Have fun, maybe get a "Games Programming for Dummies book" or some sort of learning book on C++.

PS: You will also need to know how to make 3D models and most likely to scale.
joen, thats true, i am... *cry*
i just like the idea of having a car game of my own
rock, U CALLIN ME A DUMMY??! haha j/k
sorry, i know its like... not pissible for me...
i'm a bit illepall u know
#9 - joen
Quote from kiss me :joen, thats true, i am... *cry*
i just like the idea of having a car game of my own

Well, I never said you shouldn't try it Just that it will take you a lot of time to get there
i can try yes...i got alot of books of c++ so... a person only lives once!
Quote from RoCkBiGdAvE :II'm only using Visual Basics 6 at the moment but i have looked at C++ yet but i've been told its basicly the same but worded different etc etc.

You've either missed, or brushed over the whole concept that in C and C++ you have manage your own memory. Thats more of a pain than you'd realise sometimes, especially if you've come from a memory managed language; such as VB.

Overall, you are right though. In general if you know the keywords and operators if, else, for, while, +, - and =, you can "code" in most languages. Its just a case of learning the standard API's that you'll use for each one.
I've been a software developer for almost 10 years working mainly with relational databases and VB. I have had some limited exposure to C++ and it makes VB seem incredibly quick and easy. I don't doubt that there are some graphics engines out there but I think you're going to struggle to work out how to use them if you don't know anything about C++.

Do you understand the various datatypes in C++? If not, probably best give up now and save yourself a massive headache / feelings of inadequacy when you can't work out how to write/run a 'hello world' program.
well i got a whole summer and i'm just 14 so i got a long long time to learn it

please don't treat me like a child, i have been treated like that before, and i dont think i'm begging everyone for stuff...
just wanted to make thet clear
I hate to break it to you, but a whole summer is not nearly enough to get something resembling a game working, atleast not if you don't know programming yet. You may get a first grasp of how C++ works during that time, but a game? Sorry but you seem to heavily underestimate how much work pulling off something complex as a game actually is.

My personal experience with games programming was a short stint with Managed DirectX in C# (still with DirectDraw), and even though that already does most of the really complex work for you, it still was a PITA just to get the main things running.

No offense, but if you want to "use a 3D modeler and then use c++ to make it a game or so" it shows me that you don't have nearly enough knowledge to pull something like this off.

If you really want to, use your time to learn C++ and how to program things in general, but get that idea of "I'm going to make a game" out of your head. It's not gonna work. I don't want to bash you, it's just a friendly advice to spare you much headaches and frustration.
i know i know
it will never work, not with my uni-braincell
thanks for saving me headaches and frustration, ill keep it with playing games
You can always make a mod for an existing game like rFactor. Alot simpler than making a whole game although it can still be quite complex at times.

cant i "steal" a game and change it to my own mind? instead of making a whole new game, taking a base of a car game?cant i do something like that?
Buy rFactor and make your own modification for it. Still a bit of learning to do but it's a hell of a lot easier than making your own game from scratch
i want to download rfactor, but i can ondly downloads patches, not the full version, well... i cant find it
Quote from kiss me : cant i "steal" a game and change it to my own mind? instead of making a whole new game, taking a base of a car game?cant i do something like that?

Only if you can get hold of the source code. Do you understand the difference between source code and compiled code? If not then another reason to forget the whole writing a game thing. A mod would be a much better bet but you will still need good skills.

Just to put it in perspective, it took me about 3 years of full time programming before I had enough general programming knowledge to be able to just pick up a development language and learn to use it pretty quick. Until you get to that stage everything in programming just confuses you. Thats 3 years for 48 weeks of the year doing 35 hours a week with plenty of formal training.
i get the difference between the 2, i won't explain cuz i'm flemish and it will be wrong and.. it wont be understandably translated.
do you have the "full" download of rfactor?because i can only get patches
Just google for 'rFactorsetup' and you should get results. Need to buy it to even load the game though.. So.. yea
nope, i found it, and no buying before playing...
-
(Blackout) DELETED by Blackout
-
(Schooner) DELETED by Schooner
ty, looking at the pages
I remember programs like the ultimate game creator or something, which would generate (rather simplistic and similar) games for you, back in like the late 80s or so.

I don't think such a thing is possible now-a-days, since games are so HUGELY involved. Just think, most modern games have of 30+ people working silly hours every week for 3 or 4 years, to make a modern game. On your own, it would take massive dedication and time. Just look at LFS...

in search of a LEGAL program
(59 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG