The online racing simulator
HDD speed/partitions
(34 posts, started )
#26 - STF
Quote from matijapkc :keep at least 40% free space

Or disable low disk space checks. I kept the XP on my old computer running with as low as 30 megs on C without a hiccup.
Quote from matijapkc :you need to keep at least 40% free space for the PC to run at full speed

Do you realize that on 2TB disk that would mean keeping about 820 GB of free space no matter what? That's roughly three times the size of a disk I have in my lappy. You certainly don't believe that, do you?
#28 - need
15% of the HDD space is what Windows will tell you it wants to be free.
This is so it has space for swapfiles, etc... while it's working. Having less free space than that won't really hurt too much. Some things will take a little longer to do, but outside of that, it won't make much difference.
The 2 main reasons Windows wants that space kept free, is so that it can defrag the disk easier, and so that it has plenty of space to download and install updates.
Physically healthy HDD won't make your downloads speed to drop from 500KB/s to 100KB/s. Even extremely fragmented one won't, on it's own.

Search for other causes like HDD intensive unnecessary background tasks (virus, antivirus-scans, bloatware, indexing services). Does your HDD LED stay almost permanently ON? If not, well... search elsewhere :-)
Quote from TV[cz] :Physically healthy HDD won't make your downloads speed to drop from 500KB/s to 100KB/s. Even extremely fragmented one won't, on it's own.

Search for other causes like HDD intensive unnecessary background tasks (virus, antivirus-scans, bloatware, indexing services). Does your HDD LED stay almost permanently ON? If not, well... search elsewhere :-)

Sorry to say, but we are discussing something else here now.

http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?p=1476049#post1476049

E: Thanks for trying anyway.
Quote from dadge :whether we ave moved on or not. his point is valid. don't you think?

I didn't say his point was invalid... And my HDD indicator is on almost all the time... Just noticed it...
Quote from matijapkc :How? Just copy-paste it over there or?

for mydocs, right click on it, and go to properties. change the target and hit okay. when it asks what to do, tell it you want the files moved over.

i do this at work all the time with a network share (except that i don't tell it to do any file operations), because i use multiple machines and i don't want stuff all over the place.
I agree. Defragmenting and download speed are two different things. I'm thinking of an analogy, but can't think of one. In fact, this is a case that I have never heard of before, because the amount of information that you are placing on the HD is so minimal compared to the stuff you are moving around the HD that it is comedical.

I do not think the amount of partitions you have makes such a difference. To me, I think it is where the information is found. If it is on the outside of the disk, it will be seeked faster. It is called short-stroking and many people use this technique to decrease seek-time. That's why I keep all my main OS files in C drive near the beginning of the disk in one partition. It keeps it from running out of the 20% margin, where short stroking is effective. I mean, if you have it inside, it can partially explain the performance drop. Maybe, you can get a 10/15K Raptor, or SSDs? Explains why we defragment too.

And I think that is the reason why having too much of your disk filled makes your computer slower. It is in far into the centre of the disk. It seems that having your HD filled gets mixed up frequently by having your "memory" filled up. And we all know that having your RAM filled up does make your PC slower. You end up using virtual RAM which is slower than conventional physical RAM.

HDD speed/partitions
(34 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG