The online racing simulator
#1 - amv
please help me improve my laptime (bw1, xfg, 1.38.xx)
hi guys, I'm new to LFS and I'm frustrated at my 1.38.xx hotlap at Blackwood using XFG and I was hoping someone can tell me what's wrong with my driving and how to improve.

I use a logitech momo racing wheel (270 degrees, autoclutch)

I watch the WR's and compare it with hotlap analyzer, analyze for speed and lfs replay analyzer, also I download the wr's as spr to see them drive.. it looks so easy by looking and analyzing, but I just can't seem to improve.

I just try to maintain the curve speed I see in WR, but I simply fail, I end up turning to much and sliping tires to avoid getting out of track.

here's my hotlap SPR:
http://www.lfsworld.net/get_spr.php?file=70004

any hits/tips would be very welcome, not by just telling what's wrong, but also how to gradually improve it.

It'd really help to see my own (or other) cars in ghost mode in LFS, is that possible? I've seen a ghost car mod but it no longer works in current version of LFS. is there any alternatives to that mod?

thanks guys!!
Quote from amv :hi guys, I'm new to LFS and I'm frustrated at my 1.38.xx hotlap at Blackwood using XFG and I was hoping someone can tell me what's wrong with my driving and how to improve.

I use a logitech momo racing wheel (270 degrees, autoclutch)

I watch the WR's and compare it with hotlap analyzer, analyze for speed and lfs replay analyzer, also I download the wr's as spr to see them drive.. it looks so easy by looking and analyzing, but I just can't seem to improve.

I just try to maintain the curve speed I see in WR, but I simply fail, I end up turning to much and sliping tires to avoid getting out of track.

here's my hotlap SPR:
http://www.lfsworld.net/get_spr.php?file=70004

any hits/tips would be very welcome, not by just telling what's wrong, but also how to gradually improve it.

It'd really help to see my own (or other) cars in ghost mode in LFS, is that possible? I've seen a ghost car mod but it no longer works in current version of LFS. is there any alternatives to that mod?

thanks guys!!

im at work, so i cant see replay, but im gonna ask one obvious question. what set are you using?
You are way too aggressive with the controls, smoothness is the key to fast laps. When you approach to corner, you brake too abruptly, steer too jerky and the you understeer a lot as a result.
Brake sooner and smoother. XFG as a FWD car, so it's better get slower into the corner and power out. In general, concentrate more on the clean line and minimize all that sliding and skidding. Once you drive clean and smoothly, you can try to go faster. WR replays are good to learn how an optimal racing line looks like, but don't try to imitate driving style of those WR guys.
#4 - amv
Quote from NumberTwo :im at work, so i cant see replay, but im gonna ask one obvious question. what set are you using?

http://www.setupgrid.net/1/setup/hotlap/get/XFG@BL1
the one made by 'halo'

I don't have much clue about setups, I've tried a few and finally used this, because the car suspension or tires feels a little soft and the car doesn't flip easily when I hit the bumps at a chicane, I know I should avoid that, but sometimes I'm a bump-rider on multiplayer mode
#5 - amv
Quote from MadCatX :You are way too aggressive with the controls, smoothness is the key to fast laps. When you approach to corner, you brake too abruptly, steer too jerky and the you understeer a lot as a result.
Brake sooner and smoother. XFG as a FWD car, so it's better get slower into the corner and power out. In general, concentrate more on the clean line and minimize all that sliding and skidding. Once you drive clean and smoothly, you can try to go faster. WR replays are good to learn how an optimal racing line looks like, but don't try to imitate driving style of those WR guys.

great ! thanks for the tips, I just read about slow-in fast-out, which is basically what you say. I was too worried about braking point and curve-entering speed, I'll forget about that for a while... that will sure help!

thanks a lot!
Lap times
You are going into corners too fast. This causes you to understeer badly which you are trying to correct by turning steering to full lock.
This causes you to scrub off lots of speed, so you exit the corner much slower than you could be.

You could try visiting the Redline Racing Demo servers, you will often find people who are willing to help you improve.

Just be sure you read the rules and keep safely out of the way of the faster drivers.

I am on the server quite a bit and can probably help you shave a few seconds off your PB time. My Racing name is Redline Quinn.
Okay, so in addition to what the others have said, a couple things.

I think the smoothness thing is a result of excitement. It looks like you're really excited. In all probability this is probably because you haven't sorted out those reference points and you feel rushed as a result. On the 2nd lap when you entered the final corner and went into the grass, you looked genuinely surprised that there was a corner there. Take a few easy laps and just find likely markers for things like when to turn in for the corner, when to brake, and when to exit. Choose them arbitrarily and conservatively. Look ahead, too. Don't look at the track directly in front of you. Look at your next reference point. As soon as you hit the brakes you should be looking through the upcoming corner. Your hands do take you where you look - that's why you see so many crashed cars with poles right where the badge should be.

Also don't be afraid to run right up to the edge of the road on the exit of a corner. You "pinch" the exits off a lot, rather than just using minimal steering input and letting the car go out there on it's own.

And i might shift slightly sooner. Minor point, really, but you shift at 8000 RPM. I would shift at 7600.
#8 - amv
Quote from JackSun :You are going into corners too fast. This causes you to understeer badly which you are trying to correct by turning steering to full lock.
This causes you to scrub off lots of speed, so you exit the corner much slower than you could be.

You could try visiting the Redline Racing Demo servers, you will often find people who are willing to help you improve.

Just be sure you read the rules and keep safely out of the way of the faster drivers.

I am on the server quite a bit and can probably help you shave a few seconds off your PB time. My Racing name is Redline Quinn.

thanks! it has become my favourite server so far! a lot of respect and safety driving.. I also shortened my laptime to 1.37 on this server on a race... so I really enjoy watching and trying to keep up with the racers instead of avoiding crashers...
#9 - amv
Quote from MadCat360 :Okay, so in addition to what the others have said, a couple things.

I think the smoothness thing is a result of excitement. It looks like you're really excited. In all probability this is probably because you haven't sorted out those reference points and you feel rushed as a result. On the 2nd lap when you entered the final corner and went into the grass, you looked genuinely surprised that there was a corner there. Take a few easy laps and just find likely markers for things like when to turn in for the corner, when to brake, and when to exit. Choose them arbitrarily and conservatively. Look ahead, too. Don't look at the track directly in front of you. Look at your next reference point. As soon as you hit the brakes you should be looking through the upcoming corner. Your hands do take you where you look - that's why you see so many crashed cars with poles right where the badge should be.

Also don't be afraid to run right up to the edge of the road on the exit of a corner. You "pinch" the exits off a lot, rather than just using minimal steering input and letting the car go out there on it's own.

And i might shift slightly sooner. Minor point, really, but you shift at 8000 RPM. I would shift at 7600.

these tips are really helping me out a lot!!! it might be too obvious for you to say, but It's a complete insight for me, you know? thanks!!!

maybe someone can help me with this question, last night I felt the car was understeering when heading to the apex, but as soon as I release the brake, the front wheels seem to get a lot more of grip and suddenly steers fine, it doesn't seems to be related to speed, but something else, maybe braking bias? I'm not good at setup... can someone help with this? I can stop braking when turning knowing how the car handles when I do that, but I also want to know why the car behaves like that.

thanks!!!
Tyres can transfer only limited amount of force to the track. This force is divided between braking/accelerating and steering. The more you brake, the less force there is left to steer the car. Always try to avoid braking while cornering...
Help with lap time
You shouldn't be on the brakes as you reach the apex.
You should try to get all your braking and gear changing done before you turn in to the corner.

It may be that you have wheels locked up under braking causing you to slide into understeer, releasing the brake would stop the wheels from being locked and if you are now going slow enough the grip will return to front wheels.

If you are on Redline servers and I am online (Redline Quinn) make yourself known to me and I'll see if I can help you improve.

Had a few people last week who were struggling in the mid 36.xx times and now with a bit of help they are in 34.xx times.
Quote from amv :these tips are really helping me out a lot!!! it might be too obvious for you to say, but It's a complete insight for me, you know? thanks!!!

maybe someone can help me with this question, last night I felt the car was understeering when heading to the apex, but as soon as I release the brake, the front wheels seem to get a lot more of grip and suddenly steers fine, it doesn't seems to be related to speed, but something else, maybe braking bias? I'm not good at setup... can someone help with this? I can stop braking when turning knowing how the car handles when I do that, but I also want to know why the car behaves like that.

thanks!!!

You're welcome.

The braking this is just too much brake pressure while trying to turn. You're right, it is related to brake bias - bias to the front means the fronts will lock first. If that happens the car will just go straight on. If the bias is too far rearward the car will spin if the brakes lock (like pulling the handbrake). Try setting 45% front bias and see what happens when you brake really hard!
#13 - halo
There are many valuable explanations above. I might just add that you need to pass last turn as good as possible in order to clock good time on split 1.

I am assuming that you are using my setup.
I don't remember what degree I was using when I was create that set but since you have Momo you could play "Wheel Turn Ratio" adjustment primarily.
This adjustment works like this if don't know yet;

First, adjust the "Wheel Turn" to 270 (for momo).
1 is linear, means, the wheel you see in the car is moving in a same degree with your wheel attached to desk at the middle areas.
0 is non-linear; car wheel is moving more than you turn in all areas.
You may choose 1 or 0 or in between (better). Test it to find sweet point.

If you want to continue in technical side, keep reading.
If no, above suggestions are enough to improving to some degree IMO.

Technical aspects:
You need to consider weight transfer issue and try to work on this.
After you figure out what happening during braking which is one of the most important thing IMO, you will understand how the weight transfers to the front than sides and
how this movement affects braking performance/suspension setup and overal performance during entering the curve.

Evaluate your performance with 3 sections (plus preparation stage) while cornering;

1. Preparation
2. Entering
3. Middle (apex)
4. Exit

And ask those questions while you cornering the most critical curve on the track -it will be the corner after the long straight on BL1 (lets call it T2) in this case;
1. Preparation: During the slow down (prior the entering stage) are brakes locking and you are missing the line and so apex?
if yes> Try to lover brake pressure and/or consider little early braking.

2. Entering. Let say you managed slow down perfectly and enter the curve, is car understeering/oversteering? (I assume that you are using whole track, means far left to apex)
if yes & if its understeering maybe your wheel input is too fast. Try softer input. Decrease the speed and work on this without reaching your maximums.
Oversteering (OS)> Normally it should oversteer in a degree. All the fast sets are little oversteers, you can try it. The thing is can you manage this OS? Or is it a problem for you?
If you want more grip at the back there are few things you can do. First, LFS Manual is full of info on this, quick check list included.

Few tips: For correcting oversteer;
-Soften rear dampers or harden front dampers.
-Decrease rear tire press. or increase front tire press.
These are for "entering".
If you are experiencing OS at the middle of the curve you also have to consider the anti roll bars (ARB).

Note: Since OS and US (understeering) are the opposite concepts, correcting one of them will likely increasing other.

3. Middle. Anti-roll Bars effects the car performance in the middle section.
BL1/XFG combo ARB: I have seen many setups and I made many, all I can say that rear is between zero and 30-35 and front is max. 60-70 N/mm.

Note-2: Consider the performance on other curves while altering the adjustments.
You have to adapt yourself to different curves with their characteristics with small flaws. I mean, if you adjust the set for T2 perfectly, what about other curves?
That's why adjusting the car for a specific track is little tricky and sometimes frustrating.
First you need to understand what is going on than you can take corrective action whether it is adjusting or just practicing & improving the driving style.

4. Exit. Evaluate yourself while exiting; is there OS or US?
XFG tends to US generally on exits, so this is normal in a point. If its too much for you than you can try;
-Harden the rear dampers (or lover front)
-increase rear tires pressure (or decrease front)
-Sometimes decreasing the front ARB little could help.

Note-3: If you decide to modify setup;
1. Make a copy
2. Try one adjustmet at a time
3. Perform the new test as close as previous test (important).

And RELAX

Enjoy.
i've found that you need to give a setup at least 10 laps before you can make a decission about what settings to change.
with my driving style, i like a bit of understeer on the xfg. this keeps the rear in check and i can modulate the understeer with the wheel and throttle.
there was a video on top gear where Jackie Stewert tought James May how to drive faast. one bit of advice he gave (which really helps) was that your braking should be done in one smooth movement. same for throttle. once you hit the apex, you should be accellerating out of the corner with one movement of the throttle pedal.
i also pay alot of attention on how much i'm freewheeling (no brake or throttle) leading into the apex. i then try to keep this to a minimum by trail braking.
Quote from JackSun :You are going into corners too fast. This causes you to understeer badly which you are trying to correct by turning steering to full lock.

yep you should visit Redline Racing Servers. i was a bad driver too and quinn helped me cut almost 3 seconds from my time. he's good at explaining while you drive. my pb now is 1.34.36.
I don't want to hijack the thread but I didn't want to add another help me thread and this one has been helpful. I've gotten down to the mid 135s. I can't figure out how to do turn one and the chicane properly but I'm basically losing time throughout the lap. Any help would be appreciated.
Attached files
Goes_To_11_BL1_XFG_13547.spr - 440.8 KB - 213 views
help
It's hard to say for sure what the problem is. Can you post your setup.

It looks as if your brake force is set a bit high.

Also you could brake a bit earlier at end of straight and use more of the kerbs to straighten out the corners.
I was using this one that I downloaded from absolute beginners.
Attached files
XFG_BL1-V1.1b.set - 132 B - 1079 views
#19 - amv
Quote from halo :There are many valuable explanations above. I might just add that you need to pass last turn as good as possible in order to clock good time on split 1.

I am assuming that you are using my setup.
I don't remember what degree I was using when I was create that set but since you have Momo you could play "Wheel Turn Ratio" adjustment primarily.
This adjustment works like this if don't know yet;

First, adjust the "Wheel Turn" to 270 (for momo).
1 is linear, means, the wheel you see in the car is moving in a same degree with your wheel attached to desk at the middle areas.
0 is non-linear; car wheel is moving more than you turn in all areas.
You may choose 1 or 0 or in between (better). Test it to find sweet point.

If you want to continue in technical side, keep reading.
If no, above suggestions are enough to improving to some degree IMO.

Technical aspects:
You need to consider weight transfer issue and try to work on this.
After you figure out what happening during braking which is one of the most important thing IMO, you will understand how the weight transfers to the front than sides and
how this movement affects braking performance/suspension setup and overal performance during entering the curve.

Evaluate your performance with 3 sections (plus preparation stage) while cornering;

1. Preparation
2. Entering
3. Middle (apex)
4. Exit

And ask those questions while you cornering the most critical curve on the track -it will be the corner after the long straight on BL1 (lets call it T2) in this case;
1. Preparation: During the slow down (prior the entering stage) are brakes locking and you are missing the line and so apex?
if yes> Try to lover brake pressure and/or consider little early braking.

2. Entering. Let say you managed slow down perfectly and enter the curve, is car understeering/oversteering? (I assume that you are using whole track, means far left to apex)
if yes & if its understeering maybe your wheel input is too fast. Try softer input. Decrease the speed and work on this without reaching your maximums.
Oversteering (OS)> Normally it should oversteer in a degree. All the fast sets are little oversteers, you can try it. The thing is can you manage this OS? Or is it a problem for you?
If you want more grip at the back there are few things you can do. First, LFS Manual is full of info on this, quick check list included.

Few tips: For correcting oversteer;
-Soften rear dampers or harden front dampers.
-Decrease rear tire press. or increase front tire press.
These are for "entering".
If you are experiencing OS at the middle of the curve you also have to consider the anti roll bars (ARB).

Note: Since OS and US (understeering) are the opposite concepts, correcting one of them will likely increasing other.

3. Middle. Anti-roll Bars effects the car performance in the middle section.
BL1/XFG combo ARB: I have seen many setups and I made many, all I can say that rear is between zero and 30-35 and front is max. 60-70 N/mm.

Note-2: Consider the performance on other curves while altering the adjustments.
You have to adapt yourself to different curves with their characteristics with small flaws. I mean, if you adjust the set for T2 perfectly, what about other curves?
That's why adjusting the car for a specific track is little tricky and sometimes frustrating.
First you need to understand what is going on than you can take corrective action whether it is adjusting or just practicing & improving the driving style.

4. Exit. Evaluate yourself while exiting; is there OS or US?
XFG tends to US generally on exits, so this is normal in a point. If its too much for you than you can try;
-Harden the rear dampers (or lover front)
-increase rear tires pressure (or decrease front)
-Sometimes decreasing the front ARB little could help.

Note-3: If you decide to modify setup;
1. Make a copy
2. Try one adjustmet at a time
3. Perform the new test as close as previous test (important).

And RELAX

Enjoy.

oh my god!! this community is awesome! I didn't expect this much help from all of you guys! I'm learning a lot! it's so much fun!

thanks everyone!! I'll keep practicing and racing at redline's
Help
Goes_To_Eleven

I had a look at your set seems ok, but for me brake settings are too high and biased to front.
Your set is 630nm 77%, the set I use is 580nm 71%.

When I looked at your replay I said I thought your brake settings looked a bit high. Try with my brake settings and brake a fraction earlier.

Also 4th gear is a bit high, the jump from 3rd to 4th is a bit too much.
Thanks for your help guys. I've tried a number of different things and setups and I'm slowly getting the hang of things. I've managed to get my time into the 1'34.9s

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG