The online racing simulator
a city just for cruising
(74 posts, started )
a city just for cruising
Hey lfs, i was just on the live for cruise server and many people agreed to what my suggestion was in the server, a city. A city where real cop chases can go on for hours, garages, a dedicated race track built outside the city and amazing views. Think of it, what good is a simulator without a city? Does anybody agree with me?
What good is an online racing simulator with a city?

or better yet...an option for cruising! (oh wait..we already have that...-_-)
we have already a city called: South City (only for s2 licensed members)
So buy s2 so that u can drive in this city inside lfs.
LFS technically doesn't allow more than one path. That means nothing else than closed, single path circuits. IIRC that's the official answer
I don't know why such a city area couldn't be treated the same way as an autocross area is now, only much larger and with permanent (building) objects scattered.
Quote from Breizh :LFS technically doesn't allow more than one path. That means nothing else than closed, single path circuits. IIRC that's the official answer
I don't know why such a city area couldn't be treated the same way as an autocross area is now, only much larger and with permanent (building) objects scattered.

That could work. Like you said, just a huge auto cross "area", but with buildings and scenery added.

Despite it being a racing simulator, I spend 95% of my time on LFS Cruising, and I'm not afraid to admit that I would absolutely LOVE some sort of city or mountain type environment. Just imagine driving on Fujimi Kaido from Forza 3 but with LFS. Lovely...
Quote from Nathan_French_14 :That could work. Like you said, just a huge auto cross "area", but with buildings and scenery added.

It's to do with scenegraph issues. The game can't render the entire map all at once (framerate would drop to single-figures if you tried), so as you race around it decides which parts you can't see and leaves them out of the draw calls.

To make this decision, it uses your current position around the circuit which only works for closed loops - it can't cope with branching paths.

The car-park is a special case as it's only one tiny corner of the map, so it can still work out which parts not to draw.
I'm not completely for this, but i'm not against it. The reason this isnt that good an idea is because this is a racing simulator which is made for racing, BUT it can work if a huge park was made and buildings can be placed in the park with the walls surrounding the buildings, but if it was all buildings, that can get boring. It's hard to explain, but the game GRiD has done it, their freestyle drift tracks are a mini free roam, that's what I'm thinking is possible, small so it can load the map with a nice FPS, but still with corners for cruising. Here's what the freestyle drift looks like, a small free roam really. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v ... amp;feature=youtube_gdata
Quote from Crashgate3 :The game can't render the entire map all at once

It can, but removing rendering limits indeed drops fps alot. Here it drops 3-5 times.
If you want city just for cruising, than buy Test Drive Unlimited.
Quote from Simpson :If you want city just for cruising, than buy Test Drive Unlimited.

But some people would love to have a huge city to drive on but with LFS's physics and wheel "friendliness".
TDU is more like an open world, then city driving.

How about an improvement : no more cruising improvements?
If you're cruising, you have no need for an advanced simulation. Accurate grip levels and grip transitions mean nothing to you.
Quote from Forbin :If you're cruising, you have no need for an advanced simulation. Accurate grip levels and grip transitions mean nothing to you.

Based on what?

Running from cops is kinda racing, but with oncoming traffic :P
Quote from Forbin :If you're cruising, you have no need for an advanced simulation. Accurate grip levels and grip transitions mean nothing to you.

Of course, we - cruisers - could not care less about psyhics. All we care about is graphics from one hundred years ago and ~ 3 cars, which are being used most.

[/sarcasm]

No seriously, who are you to say who needs what? Cruisers are equal to racers what has been proved milion of times already, so stop being a d*ckead with comments like that. I wonder how many skilled cruisers who can do a faster lap time on a complicated layout with on-coming traffic than you on any track without a layout, would beat your cheap arse, if you were racing. That might shut you up though.
Quote from thezero :I wonder how many skilled cruisers who can do a faster lap time on a complicated layout with on-coming traffic than you on any track without a layout, would beat your cheap arse, if you were racing.

Not many, I assume.

Talking about Forbin, not me.

BTW: LFS - Online Racing Simulator

Just saying.
Quote from thezero :Of course, we - cruisers - could not care less about psyhics. All we care about is graphics from one hundred years ago and ~ 3 cars, which are being used most.

[/sarcasm]

No seriously, who are you to say who needs what? Cruisers are equal to racers what has been proved milion of times already,

Proven by whom? Is there a cruisers vs. people-who-know-what-they're-doing-instead-of-farting-around championship I'm unaware of?

Quote from thezero :
so stop being a d*ckead with comments like that.

Consider me unimpressed with name-calling.

Quote from thezero :I wonder how many skilled cruisers who can do a faster lap time on a complicated layout with on-coming traffic than you on any track without a layout, would beat your cheap arse, if you were racing. That might shut you up though.

If hotlapping impresses you, try to have one of your cruising buddies beat this: http://www.lfsworld.net/get_spr.php?file=30000 (#2 on FO8 @ FE4, 0.81 off the WR). Then add your layout and see if he/she can still beat me.

Oh, I'm sure these don't count for anything either.

http://www.core-racing.com/?p=9
http://www.core-racing.com/?p=91
Quote from zeugnimod :Not many, I assume.

Well, i have not said that he is bad, but how on earth can he understimate cruising with saying that cruisers does not care about psyhics - most important part of every racing simulator?

I am a cruiser and i would never dare to say to any racer, that i am better than he is in chasing robbers as a cop, on a cruising server. I mean, c'mon... At the end of the day, we are all playing exactly the same game and we should be happy that it got more than one aspect, instead of fighting over it. What more than LFS having less players would racers achieve, if cruising was removed from LFS?

Quote from zeugnimod :BTW: LFS - Online Racing Simulator

Just saying.

How can you be sure, that there is no racing on cruising servers? Have you ever been involved in any high speed chase which are representing like 50% of all chases, have you ever been involved in any "illegal street race" on a cruising server or have you ever been involved in any competition with other cruisers, about who can do a better lap time?
Quote from thezero :Have you ever been involved in any high speed chase which are representing like 50% of all chases, have you ever been involved in any "illegal street race" on a cruising server or have you ever been involved in any competition with other cruisers, about who can do a better lap time?

I... don't... know... where... to... begin... :Eyecrazy:
#19 - VoiD
Quote from thezero :How can you be sure, that there is no racing on cruising servers? Have you ever been involved in any high speed chase which are representing like 50% of all chases, have you ever been involved in any "illegal street race" on a cruising server or have you ever been involved in any competition with other cruisers, about who can do a better lap time?

Yeah, avel said it best.

BTW, I was a big fan of CnR back when it was ONLY Cops And Robbers before those insim things destroyed it. Those were some fun evenings with the ATC team.
Quote from thezero :Well, i have not said that he is bad...

Sure you did. Right here:

Quote from thezero :I wonder how many skilled cruisers who can do a faster lap time on a complicated layout with on-coming traffic than you on any track without a layout, would beat your cheap arse, if you were racing. That might shut you up though.

You're literally saying I'm about 30 seconds off the WR on a given track.

BTW...

Quote from thezero :skilled cruisers

Oxymoron.
Quote from Forbin :Sure you did. Right here: <SNIP>

That is not true. I have never said that you are not good, what i said, was that you can not understimate someone you dont know. You understimated every single one of cruisers, with saying that we do not need to care for psyhics.

Quote from Forbin :You're literally saying I'm about 30 seconds off the WR on a given track.

This is what you said, again... Dont twist my words, becouse i dont twist yours.
Those who can't race, drift. Those who can't drift, cruise. Simple as.

If you need to get your jollies fantasizing about illegal street racing and running from the cops, by all means, cruise to your heart's content. But comparing the level of competence posessed by a "skilled" cruiser to that of an accomplished racer is contemptibly incongruous.
What a bogus argument. Taste WRT racing/drifting/cruising is independent of ability to race fast. There's no reason to forbid drifting anymore than there is cruising or motorcycles. Whether it's technically feasible or not is the real question.
it can easily be said with that logic people who cant control 4 wheels (car) go to motorcycles, people who cant control 2 wheels, go to unicycles...that is CLEARLY not true

and i cruise at racing speed pretty much, i go as fast around that layout as i possibly can

a city just for cruising
(74 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG