The online racing simulator
Flying Ant Day
(17 posts, started )
Flying Ant Day
Has anyone else noticed the big flying black ants landing everywhere today and yesterday? Every year they come out on a hot & humid day here in the UK.

Horrible things they shed their wings and crawl around the garden looking for somewhere nice to start a nest.

If I can find the time Ill post a picture later

Anyone else dislike these flying queens?

SD.
Flying ants I can live with, its these BLOODY thrips (thunderflies) that get me.

My arms were black with them the other ride after cycling home from work, going through clouds of the sods.
Any kind of fly pisses me off.

I have to sit in the dark in the evenings if I want my window open, else bunch of those buggers fly in and I have to hunt them down with my rolled up magazine...

Not something I enjoy doing.
#4 - 5haz
The South East is currently in the middle of a five year giant mosquito plague, their remains are scattered all over the walls of my room.

I hate hot weather so much, think I might move to Scotland. Hopefully it should break later tonight in the form of thunderstorms and much needed rain.
Quote from 5haz :The South East is currently in the middle of a five year giant mosquito plague, their remains are scattered all over the walls of my room.

I hate hot weather so much, think I might move to Scotland. Hopefully it should break later tonight in the form of thunderstorms and much needed rain.

mosquitos are more tempted by humidity not so much by hot weather(not sure about tropical mosquitos though), long hot and dry season could dramatycally shorter their lines.
#6 - 5haz
Quote from -NightFly- :mosquitos are more tempted by humidity not so much by hot weather(not sure about tropical mosquitos though), long hot and dry season could dramatycally shorter their lines.

True but being right next to the Atlantic means whenever its hot its always humid. And the last few summers have been very wet too, the dry weather at the moment dosen't seem to be killing them.
South East?, Atlantic?
i hate that s**t, here in brazil, here in my state/region they call it "Aleluia" :P

#10 - 5haz
Quote from danowat :South East?, Atlantic?

The whole British Isles is influenced by it much more than central mainland Europe. At the moment our humid weather is being caused by air which has been pulled up from tropical regions of the Atlantic via France and Spain.

By right next to I meant the UK as a whole.
I was in Ohio once, right on the coast of Lake Erie when these buggers popped up. The ground and many walls were thick with their carcasses. Totally harmless but still gross due to the mess they leave when they die all at once.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mayfly
Quote from tristancliffe :Britain is tiny, so yes.

Maybe not that tiny. Going by land area alone, the British Isles would fit inside only the 4 or 5 largest US states. Granted, they might fit inside California as is.
#14 - 5haz
Quote from Forbin :Maybe not that tiny. Going by land area alone, the British Isles would fit inside only the 4 or 5 largest US states. Granted, they might fit inside California as is.

250 odd miles isn't far when you're talking about weather on a synoptic scale, which I guess is about how far London is from the West coast.
The only time of the year i hate for flying insects.

Was laying in bed last night looking at my ceiling and there was a grasshopper on there. Shat myself when i first saw it.

My tactic in running away from wasps are working, haven't been stung yet.
lol, you're afraid of a grasshopper?
Flying ants are nothing compared to flying cockroaches. When I used to live in Africa, we had to carry round umbrellas to stop the cockroaches from landing on our heads. They were the size of your fist as well. Awful things. People used to eat fried cockroach wings as a delicacy. Yuck.

Flying Ant Day
(17 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG