The online racing simulator
Gearchange Animations
(20 posts, started )
Gearchange Animations
I think this has already been said but ill metion it just incase.

Ive been on GPL and just love the way the guy reches for the gearstick to change gear, maybe it would be a nice idea for LFS?
*thumbs up*
great idea, yea it was allready sayd but so what!
it would sure be cool addon, olso:
is the legs would move while throttleing and braking
suggested many times before

the only problem (yes GPL did it) is .. well, the same problem there is in GPL, when you shift, you have to wait.. however long until he actually shifts ingame.. and.. well, its better without it imo, it does look nice though..
As long as you can turn it off like the wheel and driver's arms, I'm all for the suggestion. I don't like any animations like that because I set my screen up to be the windshield/dash and already have a wheel and shifter mounted to my desk. But, I'm all up for options that other's may like as long as they are options .
I think there will be a problem to combine the animation of rotating the steering wheel and animation of changing gear.
Quote from XCNuse :suggested many times before

the only problem (yes GPL did it) is .. well, the same problem there is in GPL, when you shift, you have to wait.. however long until he actually shifts ingame.. and.. well, its better without it imo, it does look nice though..

*Jumps on the "IT'S A SIM" bandwagon*

Adds more realism though, don't ya think?

Perhaps they could have a standard/slow speed animation for the non GT classes. Then have a faster speed animation for the GT classes. Then for the F1 class, they use paddle shift anyway, so they would either not animate anything at all, or just animate his fingers moving the paddle.

I think there should be a more realistic seperation between the GT and non GT classes. How hard that is to do, i'm unsure.
i would like it, but like mrodgers said, u have to be able to turn it off,
and the gear change animation,it happens a little faster, but it would be cool if he kept his hand on the gear changer and of the steering wheels turns more then * * degrees it moves his hands to the steer. or allways on the steer and only.......
I think it's a nice idea...
but you know... LFS isn't ready YET for graphics stuff...
(that's what i heard)
so, first all the physics and things must be done, than there will be focus on new cars, better damage and animations (I presume)
I would love animated gearchanges in LFS. GT4 actually does this *very* well, it combines animations between rotating the steering wheel with one hand and shifting with the other when necessary, looks very realistic. Would also be nice to see the drivers feet moving as you press the pedals.
Quote from Matrixi :I would love animated gearchanges in LFS. GT4 actually does this *very* well, it combines animations between rotating the steering wheel with one hand and shifting with the other when necessary, looks very realistic. Would also be nice to see the drivers feet moving as you press the pedals.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but, did you just say Gran Turismo 4 has gear shifting and steering wheel animations?
it does

watch the intro video i believe its shown

or, take out a shelby cobra and you can see it, or a 350z..... any car that has a top down

@matrixi, yes it does... and i was about to say it but.. didnt lol
#12 - Vain
Is there a sim where the virtual driver's feet can decide between heeltoeing and left-foot braking?

Vain
Quote from Shinanigans :*Jumps on the "IT'S A SIM" bandwagon*

Adds more realism though, don't ya think?

No, actually. As humans, we can move our hand to the shifter and shift at the optimal point. When we tell the game to shift, we shift at the optimal point but we have to wait for the driver's arm to move to the shifter and shift. That lag is not in real life as we move our arm to the shift before we need to shift, not after.

This is one of those things that catches people's attentions, but in usage, is pointless and actually detracts from gameplay imho. Kinda like how 90% of all products are designed now - nice and purdy, but in common usage they snap in two pieces and become useless.

For the simple reason of the lag in the shifting, I am against this suggestion. If a solution to that could be reached, then I'd be all for it.

.. Actually.. I think I have an idea. When the revs reach about 90% of the way to the redline, the driver places his hand on the shifter, so when we tell the game to shift, his hand is already there removing the lag. Yay or nay?
XCNuse, wow, didn't know that! I'll have to check it out!

Maggot, i understand what you're saying, but surely there can be a compromise.

IRL: you move your hand onto the shifter before you want to shift.... but how long before? depends.

Another question you have to ask yourself is; how long does it have to take for the animation of the hand to get from the wheel to the shifter? As long, or as short as you want. Move your hand from infront of you, over to your left as though you were mimmicking the same animation, how quickly can you do it? Why can't it be that quick in the game?

Jump in the Sauber and reef the steering wheel from left to right (with a mouse) as fast as you can..... that's some quick animation

The animation and the action don't have to be perfectly sequenced. Although the more realistic the sequence timing, the more realistic the whole thing will be, but the action of the shift doesn't necessarily have to wait for the animation of the shift. i.e; you tap the shift button, the shift animation starts immediately, the shift action begins, by the time the hand is 3/4 of the way to the shifter the shift action is completed, shift animation also completes, hand returns to wheel. Mind you, this is all happening within a second. So to the untrained eye, it's probably something that would go un-noticed. Especially if the drivers arm/hand is above the shifter, covering it, therefore not allowing the driver to actually see that it's shifting before his hand's actually on it.

One last idea i just thought of, animation begins when the clutch is pressed. Whilst ever your clutch is depressed, the hand is on the shifter. I also like your idea of 90% revs, then animation begins. He then holds his hand on the shifter till either you shift, or the revs drop below 90%.
Quote from Shinanigans :XCNuse, wow, didn't know that! I'll have to check it out!

Maggot, i understand what you're saying, but surely there can be a compromise.

IRL: you move your hand onto the shifter before you want to shift.... but how long before? depends.

Another question you have to ask yourself is; how long does it have to take for the animation of the hand to get from the wheel to the shifter? As long, or as short as you want. Move your hand from infront of you, over to your left as though you were mimmicking the same animation, how quickly can you do it? Why can't it be that quick in the game?

Jump in the Sauber and reef the steering wheel from left to right (with a mouse) as fast as you can..... that's some quick animation

The animation and the action don't have to be perfectly sequenced. Although the more realistic the sequence timing, the more realistic the whole thing will be, but the action of the shift doesn't necessarily have to wait for the animation of the shift. i.e; you tap the shift button, the shift animation starts immediately, the shift action begins, by the time the hand is 3/4 of the way to the shifter the shift action is completed, shift animation also completes, hand returns to wheel. Mind you, this is all happening within a second. So to the untrained eye, it's probably something that would go un-noticed. Especially if the drivers arm/hand is above the shifter, covering it, therefore not allowing the driver to actually see that it's shifting before his hand's actually on it.

One last idea i just thought of, animation begins when the clutch is pressed. Whilst ever your clutch is depressed, the hand is on the shifter. I also like your idea of 90% revs, then animation begins. He then holds his hand on the shifter till either you shift, or the revs drop below 90%.

AutoClutch problems. :/

Maybe, if it was possible, the game could learn when you shift, and move your hand down to the shifter at the moment before you shift...
The obvious solution involves a human brain-to-USB interface to detect when the player is thinking about shifting.
I'll get right on it!
Quote from Shinanigans :Correct me if i'm wrong, but, did you just say Gran Turismo 4 has gear shifting and steering wheel animations?

Yes, but you have to be in a convertible and driving alone. GT4 always puts the ragtop on when there are other cars around, because the increased number of polygons.
Quote from Shinanigans :this is all happening within a second. So to the untrained eye, it's probably something that would go un-noticed.

especially three gear changes in a second (with sequential) when braking for example.

Quote from Dumpy :The obvious solution involves a human brain-to-USB interface to detect when the player is thinking about shifting.

agree...
The hand doesn't have to return to the steering wheel does it...?

If the hand moves to the gear shifter, it can stay there for a certain amount of time (a second or two) and then it returns to the wheel if no more gear shifts are made. If gear shifts are made (3 in one second) for example, then the hand stays on the shifter and moves accordingly (or skips the first two gears) until gearshifts cease to be made.

Gearchange Animations
(20 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG