The online racing simulator
A serious matter - the UK has gone mad!
(33 posts, started )
#2 - ajp71
Oh dear and I'm sure the 'safety' camera vans will be out in force illepall
20 MPH is a tad much in open areas, but if it's built up (around town and such), then I don't really see problems with it (I say this because I was once hit by a car, so I am slightly biased).
Heh, our city speed limits were also dropped from 40km/h (24mph) to 30km/h (18mph) a while ago. Not that very many people actually follow the new speed limit that much..
-
(Schooner) DELETED by Schooner
Not very near Essex i believe (i have no idea) so it doesn't really affect me!
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
bring on the nanny state
Sorry but must agree with Android here

And they put cameras to enforce those limits? Buahahah...bring on the Landrovers and deal with the manner in a reasonable and polite way in J Clarkson style
in several living areas in cities we have a lot of 30 km/h zones (18mph). So I can say: You'll get used to it
Quote from mrbogeyman :bring on the nanny state

Too late, its already here, and has been for some time.

Accident rates will not drop one bit with these new speed limits. Infact it will most likely increase them, due to people spending more time looking at their speedos, instead of looking at the road ahead, as mentioned in the link.

One car tyre + one litre of petrol = Bye bye scamera.
Quote from Vykos69 :in several living areas in cities we have a lot of 30 km/h zones (18mph). So I can say: You'll get used to it

We already have them in residential areas where I live, but the main roads are still 30+mph. Oh course no one followed the 20 limit, so they either filled the street with speed bumps or put stupid islands in the street so you have to weave in and out. Which the fire brigade hates to death because both systems slow them down. It used to take them ~30 seconds to barrel down a street, now it takes 3-5 minutes.
Quote from P5YcHoM4N :We already have them in residential areas where I live, but the main roads are still 30+mph. Oh course no one followed the 20 limit, so they either filled the street with speed bumps or put stupid islands in the street so you have to weave in and out. Which the fire brigade hates to death because both systems slow them down. It used to take them ~30 seconds to barrel down a street, now it takes 3-5 minutes.

So they are starting to build this crap everywhere

I mean here in germany they put speed bumps in roads with about 6 or 7 cars that pass that street per day illepall
tbh, i dont speed in towns, so not bothered(plus my bike sounds mean pottering along) and im not sure how they will enforce anything in the twisties i frequant. i never go into cities(no reason) and once i get me new leathers ill be sticking alot to tracks.

but even with all that....wtf is happening in this country?!?!?

also, anyone heard about people complainign about the st gearge cross?? apparently, if you wave it in public, your racist.

i really do nned to think about moving back to germany., a great 3 years spent there, and ill enjoy it more now.
This will be all over the UK before you know it. Driving around in 3rd gear, cos lets face it, you'll never see 4th gear at 20mph, will see us using a lot more petrol, more petrol equals more tax equals more money for the government. Not to mention the money they will rake in from speeders as some people and cars just can't function properly on a road at 20mph.

Motorists in the UK are being held to ransom, if it's not one thing it's the other. If I didn't have a wife and kid to cart around (and I wasn't so lazy) I would buy a bike, or even worse, walk.
Quote from ATHome :So they are starting to build this crap everywhere

I mean here in germany they put speed bumps in roads with about 6 or 7 cars that pass that street per day illepall

Much like the street I'm on. It's rarely used by cars, but every 200 meters (give or take) there is a speed bump, or if I cross a main road and go down the other side of the street, it's chicanes all the way, which tests your driving and the handling of your car (unless your crawl at 5mph), as I've seen many people cock up down there and jump the curb, only guy almost rolled his car.
The trouble isn't the cars going quickly (30mph) but the pedestrians thinking they can get away with not paying attention... Speed Humps don't work (there is evidence that deaths actually rose after their widespead implentation in London as more people died on the way to Hospital as the ambulances had to go slower and take the humps). Chicanes don't always work, but can do if used appropriately (a rare thing in City Planning offices). And a lower speed limit just for the sake of it will increase pollution.

I say leave it as it is, and try to teach people to be more wary of the dangers. I've been clipped by a car (and it hurt), and my brother was killed in a car accident a few years ago, so I kind of have a vested interest in the motoring safety world. But I don't beleive that blanket speed limits, or GPS controlled car speeds are the way forwards at all. The people that do the real damage, the real speeders that do 50 in a 30, won't slow down because the limit has changed, they drive as the roads seem fit.

For example. A couple of miles from me is the Lotus Road (actually Lotus is on a little side road off it, but we still call this bigger road the Lotus Road. It's a great road, with a tight, hilly section (40mph corners) to long sweeping corners, blind corners, esses, and more. It's awesome. But a few Lotus employees (who think they can drive cos they work for Lotus) and a few mental motorcyclists got killed in a relatively short period, so they put in a 50mph limit along the whole road (before it was the national limit of 60mph (~100kmh). As far as I know, and I don't have exact figures in front of me, the number of deaths has barely decreased. Maybe 5%. The majority of the deaths are the same number of stupid people who ignored the first limit (and ignored the theoretical limit of the road, believing themselves to be driving Gods or whatever), and they ignore this limit too. Me? I use that road for test driving at work. I know the road and every bump like the back of my hand. I do one run at 50mph to make sure no police are around and that the road surface is good. Then I am willing to go faster. But I never get close to a cars (or my) limit yet I can take corners along it at 100mph.

The issue is not Speed. Speed does not kill. Speed has very rarely killed anyone. And I say this despite the fact I was nearly accused of man-slaughter for my brothers death by 'encouraging' him to race. In fact, that day, we were NOT speeding at all, and neither were we driving too fast for the conditions. But, especially in my mothers eyes, I was convicted because I was young.

No, the issue is not speed. It is INAPPROPRIATE speed that does the majority of the damage. Blanket speed limits do not change the appropriate speed, only the lawful maximum. Reducing the limit so that people just do 20mph without actually thinking isn't necessarily safer, it's just short sighted. Fixing an effect rather than fixing the cure. If everyone is forced to ride a motor cycle, even a moped, they would learn how to read a road, how to understand traction and road surfaces. But people, as a whole, don't. They climb in their cars, which they take for granted, and drive a speeds which are frequently inappropriate. Putting 20 signs won't change them. They will do 40 or 50mph regardless of what the legal limit actually is.

Unfortunately, political correctness and the nanny state means that it's not allowed to think like this. We have to agree that lower limits == safer roads. But the people that obey them are the people that KNEW to go slower as road/weather/traffic conditions dicate. The people that ignored the higher limit will continue to ignore lower ones and deaths will still occur with pretty much the same regularity.
Quote from Vykos69 :in several living areas in cities we have a lot of 30 km/h zones (18mph). So I can say: You'll get used to it

but at least we still have a 50 kmh limit on the main routes
which of course means the fastest way to get around is knowing all the 30 kmh zones in and out so you can avoid traffic
Well said Tristan

And i'm really really sorry to hear about your brother, i know what it's like to loose a close family member, biggest respect to you.

Mazz
Quote from tristancliffe :snip

Well said.

Sorry to hear about your brother. R.I.P.

Quote from v4forlife :also, anyone heard about people complainign about the st gearge cross?? apparently, if you wave it in public, your racist.

Aye. St. Georges flag is apparently a racist attack when in wales. LOL.

As much as i hate the flags currently all over peoples houses/cars/pets ect due to the footy, saying its racist to wave a flag is taking things a bit too far.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/5058132.stm
Quote :
"I cannot think that any right-minded person would have a problem with this proposal, particularly as on a great number of our roads it's actually quite difficult to drive more than 20mph anyway."

Hahahahahaha
Quote from tristancliffe :The people that do the real damage, the real speeders that do 50 in a 30, won't slow down because the limit has changed, they drive as the roads seem fit.

I agree with everything apart from that. Otherwise you managed to voice my oppinions while saving me the bother of ranting it all out. It's all circumstantial IMO. Some 30mph roads can be driven at 60mph and it doesn't seem out of place at all (i.e. the limit wasn't well thought out).

I do think it's important that a) the awful state of driving that is apparent on the roads gets cured - I'm thinking mandatory retests every 5 years. I've plenty of stories on old people but no time now. and b) everyone drives at the same speed, it's the bloody slow people that are the hazard, creating obstacles in the road.
Quote from BrandonAGr :[/SIZE]

Hahahahahaha

Although comical, I'm yet to find anyroads in such bad condition that you can't drive on them over 20mph
I dont see a problem with a 20mph limit. I just dont believe it's going to help pollution (as claimed by the councillor in the BBC article) when cars have catallytic convertors on them that want to rev higher, and town driving tends to involve lots of low rev driving - so pollution is more to do with the duration that the car is running rather than the speed, as unless you rev the engine whilst in traffic it's going to be putting out a full whack of baby brain damage anyway.

Somebody more scientific will probably correct me, but surely less time accelerating up to speed = more pollution?
Ban cars from city centres, simple! (let the motorbikes in though!)

Make it illegal to drive a car less than 2 miles, make the lazy gits walk!
well, for once, i agree with tristian(shock horror, lol) well, the first few lines anyway.(didnt read the rest)

pedestrians dont pay attention to anything. i have a decently load bike, race can etc, and i usually burble at 5-6k, which is a lovely load noise. yet people are so ignorant, that they regularaly just walk out infront of me without even looking in my direction, then get pissed at me for not stopping or whatever. i dont mean liek miles away and im going 90, i mean like 15mph and they are less then 5 metres away.

(33 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG