The online racing simulator
Quote from Sontikka :How many players there are usually online?
If I'm more into online racing, should I buy rfactor instead?

buy rfactor much more fun
Quote from gizzy890 :buy rfactor much more fun

Hmm, I'm not sure. While the actual driving and racing is definitely a lot more thrilling in the right mods, it's nearly impossible to find public pickup racing in rFactor I find.
Quote from Bandit77 : I believe it, when I see it (not what they told us but the actual patch).

you're even saying it yourself. when, not if.
To the OP
Maybe if your a driving sim/game fan, as most of us here are, you will eventually own more than one game, so I don't see it as a choice of one or another, they all have their good and bad points, just keep collecting until you find one you enjoy.

If anyone is thinking of buying rfactor to try the much talked about "historicX" mod supposed to have nice FF and realistic cars/handling, as I did, its worth mentioning that you need to buy 2 games in order to load and play this mod (Rfactor & GTX) also you need a KB with a numpad to be able to adjust FF on the fly too

Rfactor out of the box combined with a logitech FF wheel needs alot of messing about with settings to get it to feel anywhere near realistic.

I own many racing games (except iracing) and find the only one I still play is LFS, it has IMO the best online code and the most realistic handling, especially in the road car class.

I have seen it grow and change, with many patches, and always there is a surge in online palyers after every major update, but it does seem to be at an all time low in terms of players right now, however good racing can still be found using the lfsworld buddy list and visiting the more populated servers especially in the peak (europe) times.

I think if the devs had abandoned the game (I don't think that) they would have announced it or at least not posted that they are still working on it, some people here are just negative and keep saying "it won't come" etc.
I believe an update will come, in time, and be worth the wait

SD.
Quote from SparkyDave :If anyone is thinking of buying rfactor to try the much talked about "historicX" mod supposed to have nice FF and realistic cars/handling, as I did, its worth mentioning that you need to buy 2 games in order to load and play this mod (Rfactor & GTX)

Well, I suppose that's true if you want to do it the legal way

It's GTL(egends) you need to have, btw, don't know what GTX is?

Anyway, there are versions of the HistorX mod floating around that don't require you to have a GTL disc. Personally I think the check for the GTL disc in the HistorX mod is kinda dumb. I mean, it's nice of the HistorX team to want to "pay hommage" or just acknowledge Simbin's work and all but still... Fortunately I have a copy of GTL but there's a lot of people who don't (anymore) and to force them to buy it now, however cheap it may be, just to play an rFactor mod, I don't know, just doesn't sit right with me I would understand if you actually needed stuff that's on the GTL disc, but you don't; it doesn't install anything. You just have to prove you have it in order to install the HistorX mod
Quote from dadge :you're even saying it yourself. when, not if.

Good catch.

You can call it a freudian slip or just lack of concentration when writing in a foreign language.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG