The online racing simulator
Is there many people playing online?
How many players there are usually online?
If I'm more into online racing, should I buy rfactor instead?
#2 - J@tko
If you go onto LFSWorld and click on "Racers Online" then you'll see that at peak times there's plenty of people online. About half of them are demo users.

There's far more people that play LFS online than rFactor, plus with rFactor you've got to download the right mod and everything.
Quote from Sontikka :If I'm more into online racing, should I buy rfactor instead?

For me its more about are you satisfied with current content in LFS?
If you think yes then buy LFS physics, graphics, number of ppl online lfs beat rFactor single-handedly in those therms.

rFactor in the other hand make lfs look silly with it content every car and track you can think of is most likely already in rFactor in at least few variations so you can chose what you like.
In lfs mods are prohibited and the only fresh content expected is scirocco and Rockingham.
rF is better in singleplayer than online. Don't buy LFS until the new patch comes out.

Buying LFS now is pointless. 90% of the "racers" online are on cruising or drifting servers. LFS in singleplayer= fail.

Take my word on this
#5 - dadge
Quote from Sontikka :How many players there are usually online?

buy both. yes, with rfactor you have to have the right mods for different servers. but you only have to download them once. and the selection increases. i have trucks, karts, road cars, touring cars and rally cars. the tracks are good too. i tend to only download the hall of fame tracks on rfactorcentral.
as for LFS, why wait until the next patch to buy it? there is good racing to be had NOW! if league racing is your cup of tea, then there's plenty of those too.
the patch will be coming out whether you buy it or not. so there's no point limiting your enjoyment now.
Quote from Tomba(FIN) :Crack rF, it's better as in singleplayer than online. Don't buy LFS until the new patch comes out.

Buying LFS now is pointless. 90% of the "racers" online are on cruising or drifting servers. LFS in singleplayer= fail.

Take my word on this

Why I should wait? Do you mean there's going to be s3 or something in the near future, which costs money?
Who said anything about S3? I'm talking about the patch which includes scirocco&tyre physics.
Perhaps there will be more racers online when/if the patch comes out.

If you want to cruise or drift, go ahead and buy the game. You should find plenty of servers.
#8 - dadge
Quote from Tomba(FIN) :Who said anything about S3? I'm talking about the patch which includes scirocco&tyre physics.

If you want to cruise or drift, or race go ahead and buy the game. You should find plenty of servers.

fixed . the racing on lfs might not be as popular as it used to be, but there are servers there that have racing on them. and usually the racing is good. if you think different then maybe you're on the wrong server? or maybe you haven't played LFS in a while and you're not in the "loop" any more?
Quote from Tomba(FIN) :Who said anything about S3? I'm talking about the patch which includes scirocco&tyre physics.

If you want to cruise or drift, go ahead and buy the game. You should find plenty of servers.

What's the point of waiting then? I'm sure that at least someone wants to race.
Quote from dadge :fixed . the racing on lfs might not be as popular as it used to be, but there are servers there that have racing on them. and usually the racing is good. if you think different then maybe you're on the wrong server? or maybe you haven't played LFS in a while and you're not in the "loop" any more?

I just checked the server list today, most populated racing server was 9players on FOX racing.. not too amazing.

Quote from Sontikka :What's the point of waiting then? I'm sure that at least someone wants to race.

What's the point on saving money, well you decide..
Quote from Tomba(FIN) :I just checked the server list today, most populated racing server was 9players on FOX racing.. not too amazing.

You need to go to specsavers then son.
Quote from Tomba(FIN) :I just checked the server list today, most populated racing server was 9players on FOX racing.. not too amazing.

how was the racing?
Quote from dadge :how was the racing?

Was nice as I couldn't be bothered to enter the server.
Quote from Tomba(FIN) :Was nice as I couldn't be bothered to enter the server.

that made no sense. and i think you've missed the point.
Quote from dadge :that made no sense. and i think you've missed the point.

Nah, I get it what you were saying.
Quote from Sontikka :How many players there are usually online?

rFactor is like a duck...
duck is the only animal that can walk, swim and fly... but he sucks in every situation.. he never will walk fast as a human, swim like a fish, or fly? like an eagle..... so this game have too many features for too low money, ended up being a bad game in every aspect
How would I save money if I bought this game later?
Quote from J@tko :... [W]ith rFactor you've got to download the right mod and everything.

I don't understand why this was not fixed ... I don't understand why this was a problem in the first place. Counter Strike has had downloading from the sever to the client for, well as long as I can remember (It's gotta be 10 years, atleast.), and then they added sv_downloadurl for fast HTTP downloads in version 1.6 that was what 7 years ago? I don't understand why if your going to allow modders to use your game as a platform, you would not not accommodate them so your biggest feature does not become your greatest weakness.

Quote from Inouva :rFactor is like a duck...
duck is the only animal that can walk, swim and fly... but he sucks in every situation.. he never will walk fast as a human, swim like a fish, or fly? like an eagle..... so this game have too many features for too low money, ended up being a bad game in every aspect

That is a great way to put it!
Quote from Inouva :rFactor is like a duck...

I don't know about rFactor, and you are surely right. But leave them ducks out of it. Ducks are wonderful animals. Daffy being my favourite.
Quote from Sontikka :How would I save money if I bought this game later?

You don't, just ignore Tomba.

He apparently hates LFS but for some stupid reason, he still stays on the official forum for a game/sim he doesn't play to warn people and tell them to not buy it.
Quote from BlueMile :I don't know about rFactor, and you are surely right. But leave them ducks out of it. Ducks are wonderful animals. Daffy being my favourite.

Daffy rules!
... and there are quite a lot of birds that can swim, walk and fly, by the way. Seems Inouva spends a bit too much time in front of the PC.

As for the waiting... it sure makes sense to wait. I pretty much think, at the moment, the question is not about WHEN the update is release but rather IF.

If you spend your money NOW, you spend it on an old game that isn't all that bad but old. There's ABSOLUTELY NO guaranty that there will be an update ever.
There's nothing wrong with buying an old game, but would you pay 24£ for MS Flight Simulator 2006 now?

Quote from zeugnimod :You don't, just ignore Tomba.

He apparently hates LFS but for some stupid reason, he still stays on the official forum for a game/sim he doesn't play to warn people and tell them to not buy it.

Are you a fanboy, by any chance?

Edit: And now I just realized that sontikka has already bought S2 meanwhile.
Quote from zeugnimod :You don't, just ignore Tomba.

You are right everytime, woaw!
i'm affraid you're wrong Bandit. it is in fact a matter of "WHEN" (devs have told us they are working on the patch and much more) and not a matter of "IF". the way i see it. LFS in its current state is not a bad wee setup. it has (nearly) everything you need to have great races. the only thing missing really is the drivers. but unfortunatley, the Devs do not provide those.
for me, it's pointless bitching about the lack of good servers and then not bothering to join a server or maybe wrangle a few drivers together and join a server. i find that it's the unorganised "spur of the moment" races that tend to be the great races that people miss and talk about.
if you think about it, if the servers were as populated by the same people that populate this forum then there would be alot more choice.
Quote from dadge :it has (nearly) everything you need to have great races. the only thing missing really is the drivers. but unfortunatley, the Devs do not provide those.

Agreed. Although I think that the devs could do things to attract more drivers. Freshen up things, for example.

Quote :
for me, it's pointless bitching about the lack of good servers and then not bothering to join a server or maybe wrangle a few drivers together and join a server.

agreed.

Quote :
i'm affraid you're wrong Bandit. it is in fact a matter of "WHEN" [...] and not a matter of "IF". the way i see it.

Errrrmmm.... and you're more right because

Quote :
(devs have told us they are working on the patch and much more)

I believe it, when I see it (not what they told us but the actual patch).
Guys! There are still leagues going on! If you consider yourself not to be an alien or similar level, follow my signature
Nice that you bought your license now ;-) Soon you'll buy another one :-)

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG