The online racing simulator
The internet browser to use
(202 posts, started )
Quote from obsolum :... People these days are way too paranoid about stuff like this.

Well imo people are way too laissez-faire with this. User behaviour is exactly the added value Google is looking for. But finally it's up to you what you want to disclose.
I like Opera very much but it's biggest down side is that it can't handle any activex components....

my remote webcam tilt/pan software or my company intranet won't work with opera for example...
Quote from matijapkc :That mostly depends on your connection.

12mb/s, it has became pretty much standard here (in cities at least :razz, getting a 100 mb/s connection at the end of this month
I used to use Firefox. One day decided to try Chrome and I've been switching between them for a while until one day, unconsciously, I start using only Chrome. I love how fast and simple is, and stable.
For me Firefox is the most unstable one, Opera is a failed attempt of a simple and minimalistic browser and IE just sucks.
#30 - wild
I've used opera regularly for over a year and really have not encountered any major problems. It does what I want it too do, nothing else and nothing more. Why do you need all of these major 1337 add-ons anyway?

Who cares if a browser takes .2 of a second or 2 seconds to load than another, It's hardly going to make a difference is it?
opera for me too.
always quick and stable.
even with much tabs openend its loads fairly quick.
when i start opera, it takes about 20 seconds till its finished loading.
with 33 open tabs that is.
Firefox for me.

Tried both Opera and Chrome before, didnt like either.
It sounds like Chrome is probably your best bet. I still cruise around on IE just so people get pissed at me and tell me to change to something else. Its great they care so much at what internet browser you use.
this is very bad thread, which leads to arguing...
you should try all of these browser for some period of time and choose for yourself.
the fact is that google chrome is currently probably the fastest browser. it is very simple and supports extensions, but not as much as firefox does. it's also very bad controled by user, because its always running some google processes which automatically send and receive data from google server (google it to see what details )

opera is very good, powerful, advanced browser with lots of builtin featuers, so you probably won't need to look for any extensions. is extremely fast and looks pretty good on windows 7. its also very stable and safe browser

firefox is the second most popular browser today, its extremely easy to use, supports lots and lots of extensions for almost everything - download managers, some tools for web developers, weather forecast ,....it's not as fast as opera or chrome (well...while browsing, does someone really notice the difference? ), but it has very good support on the web. also upcoming version 4 will bring website rendering with GPU (what should make it superfast), running addons in different processes, so flash player or quicktime will not crash the whole program anymore. but i think that other browser have this feature already...

internet explorer - avoid it. no comment needed
Firefox. Infinite range of extensions that extend it beyond the basic parts, including a ridiculous amount of background extensions that kill all the shit parts of the web you never want to see. Fast, light, and upgraded neatly whenever there`s any sort of hole found.

Never liked Opera, and IE is to be avoided on the net like the aids-riddled plague that it is, unless you`re updating the OS.

Chrome... Hmmm. It`s Google. It`s stealing every little thing it can, when it can, in the background, so you won`t notice it. Not something I ever want on any secure, private system. Trust us, we`re Google...... **** that.
#36 - arco
When Chrome gets proper adblocking, I might consider switching from FF. Blocking ads AFTER they are loaded kinda makes it pointless. Chrome also has certain problems with saving forms info. And you can't use the wysiwyg editor in vBulletin, but I guess that's more vBulletins fault.
Safari.

It's getting better and better every version. Safari Reader is an awesome feature if you read a lot of blogs. It's fast, it's decent looking, Has support for extensions (kinda.. it's in beta right now, but anyone can use them by activating them, a la Chrome). Beginning to have GPU rendering (it already does in Windows and Mac for the latest version).

It's a good balance between speed and features. Not like uber uber fast like Chrome (but not much slower) yet tonnes faster than the bloat that is Firefox, and it's not spartan like Chrome. Plus Apple is on the better side of the HTML5 video issue, and supporting a video codec that has been tried and tested to be good.
Quote from unseen :Chrome... Hmmm. It`s Google. It`s stealing every little thing it can, when it can, in the background, so you won`t notice it. Not something I ever want on any secure, private system. Trust us, we`re Google...... **** that.

Care to elaborate on what exactly it's "stealing"? I'm really curious. What can it possibly be "stealing" from my computer? What sites I visit? What searches I do on Google? Like I said: who cares. Anything else? And do you have any sources on that info? 'Cause I do have sources saying that Chrome doesn't send any remotely confidential information anywhere. Yes, you can choose to have it send usage statistics (and these are hardly confidential and anonymous anyway), but it's an option.

Quote from arco :And you can't use the wysiwyg editor in vBulletin, but I guess that's more vBulletins fault.

Is that the editor we (I) use on this forum to post? 'Cause that has worked fine for me since the first time I tried Chrome
Quote from obsolum :Care to elaborate on what exactly it's "stealing"?

It`s Google. It will be stealing absolutely every little thing it can. Sites you visit, cookies, login names, contacts, your IP addresses. absolutely anything it can get. It`s Google... Hey, we`re just flying past your house taking pictures, except we`re also taking all the details we can from your home router and whatever we can intercept from your traffic while we`re passing. We didn`t mean to but.. er.... we got found out, and we were.... and it was for our commercial benefit. **** you. We care for your privacy.
Lol. Sounds like just another "conspiracy theorist" to me. Got any sources?
Quote from obsolum :Lol. Sounds like just another "conspiracy theorist" to me. Got any sources?

No conspiracy theories here. google want every little bit of info they can get from everyone to tie up all the other data they have. give out a free browser, and everyone does the work for them.

The streetview cars are still in the shit in various countries over the wardriving situation, and rightly so.

Certainly isn`t any paranoia on my part. I only use wires on my network. I don`t give a shit if they`re raping everyone else on silly wireless networks
For me, IE is total poo, if i ever accidently use it i keep getting some stack overflow error whatever the feck that means, FF is forever crashing on the odd time i have ever used it, regardless on weather i have got any plugins enabled or not, crash crash crash all the time, so for me there is only one winner, chrome.

I have been using it ever since it first came out and i really cannot fault it, its clean looking, easy to use, very fast, not a resource hog, plus on the very rare occasion anything becomes un responsive you only lose that one tab that went, because each new tab you create is a seperate process, and the only 2 or 3 crashes i have ever had were because flash had died, so not directly chromes fault.
Quote from unseen :No conspiracy theories here. google want every little bit of info they can get from everyone to tie up all the other data they have. give out a free browser, and everyone does the work for them.

The streetview cars are still in the shit in various countries over the wardriving situation, and rightly so.

Certainly isn`t any paranoia on my part. I only use wires on my network. I don`t give a shit if they`re raping everyone else on silly wireless networks

Until I see these accusations confirmed from a somewhat respectable source I'll just dismiss them as scaremongering from ignorant folk (no offense intended whatsoever ).

What wireless vs. wired networks have to do with this I don't know, though.
#44 - arco
Quote from obsolum :Is that the editor we (I) use on this forum to post? 'Cause that has worked fine for me since the first time I tried Chrome

Yes, but the wysiwyg mode doesn't work in chrome, so if you for example want to bold some text, you get BB codes around them.
Quote from arco :Yes, but the wysiwyg mode doesn't work in chrome, so if you for example want to bold some text, you get BB codes around them.

Ah, right. I always figured this was normal.
Now that Chrome has extensions there's not really any reason not to use it.
#47 - arco
Except that adblock annoyance.
Apparently, limitations in the Chrome extensions API prevents them from being as good as adblocking in FF.
Quote from obsolum :Until I see these accusations confirmed from a somewhat respectable source I'll just dismiss them as scaremongering from ignorant folk (no offense intended whatsoever ).

What wireless vs. wired networks have to do with this I don't know, though.

"Earlier this month, the search firm admitted that it had collected information people had sent over unencrypted wi-fi networks for the last three years.

Last week, Google's CEO Eric Schmidt said that there was "no, harm, no foul", in relation to the data breach.

Google said the wi-fi data collection was a "mistake" and that it had not been authorised. "

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/10161393.stm
Firefox for me. Cant see it changing for a long while. I just cant live without AdBlock, NoScript, Webmail Notifier and several other goodies that I cant get with any other browser. (not all together anyway)

It's fast, has crashed on me only once in as long as I can remember and has all the superb plugins/extensions.

I have Chrome and Opera as well but they just don't offer what Firefox does.

IE will forever be the spawn of Satan no matter how much they improve it. The damage was done a long time ago and I'll never go back to it.

The internet browser to use
(202 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG