The online racing simulator
Car Design Contest!?
(23 posts, started )
Car Design Contest!?
Dear LFS'ers,

A idea just came up with me, an idea which the users of this forum might like very much, but maybe will not take be accepted by the Developers, though I thought lets just post this idea and lets see what happens.

My idea is as following:

A car design contest for all the LFS users. The car must be non excisting and completly self made up. And that the best 3 car designs chosen by the users themselves and out of that top 3 chosen by the devs, to be recreated inside LFS by Eric.

Hopefully you guys like my idea, and might already start designing something.

Kind Regards,

Rocky
Quote from rockclan :
My idea is as following:

A car design contest for all the LFS users. The car must be non excisting and completly self made up. And that the best 3 car designs chosen by the users themselves and out of that top 3 chosen by the devs, to be recreated inside LFS by Eric.

Hopefully you guys like my idea, and might already start designing something.

I may be wrong, but it seems to me that Era of non existing cars in real world in LFS come to an end with beginning of S3 release.
Today we know that LFS 0.6A will give us Real Rockingham track, VW Scirocco and additional unknown car yet.
We can only guess what it will be a car, I think it will be next real car in LFS after VW scirocco.

I don't want to discourage anyone, but I think the initiative came too late and will not be approved by Devs.

Whatever, time will tell.
LFS already have many real cars, don't be so excited Adam
once i made a safety car(car`s look would fit lfs perfectly), to be used for leagues,but actually i never finished it.
Quote from e2mustang :once i made a safety car(car`s look would fit lfs perfectly), to be used for leagues,but actually i never finished it.

Sounds interesting, any chance of a pre-/view?
It'd sure be cool. There's plenty of talent out there to do it justice. But somehow, at some level at least, it doesn't seem to jibe with Scavier's minimal-manpower formula.

Which'd be a shame. LFS could certainly use more variety in bodywork esthetics, drivetrain config, and wheel shapes too. We already had a skin competition. It's too bad there doesn't seem to be interest in a repeat for the above three, even if conditioned by no guarantee that any submissions would or wouldn't be used.
Quote from Breizh :It's too bad there doesn't seem to be interest in a repeat for the above three, even if conditioned by no guarantee that any submissions would or wouldn't be used.

This is an interesting point. Do you think enough people would be motivated to create a design even if the competition had no guarantee of bearing any fruit in terms of actual LFS content? If so then surely an unofficial competition could be organised by someone in the community? If as a result of the competition we get some really good ideas/designs then it is up to Scawen and the guys whether they want to take any of them further. They may not be keen on the idea at this stage but perhaps if we take the initiative and run a contest anyway, the end results might convince them otherwise.

The key issue is, as I say, whether enough people would be interested in expending time and effort creating the designs on the speculative off-chance that the guys might consider using them. Unless Scawen releases a statement saying that there is absolutely no chance they would, it could be an interesting and potentially valuable project.
Quote from ajcham :This is an interesting point. Do you think enough people would be motivated to create a design even if the competition had no guarantee of bearing any fruit in terms of actual LFS content?

I don't think it's incredible if you're capable of trusting Scavier's word that LFS isn't dead, S3 will come out, etc. Of course this speculation's on the premise that Scavier would be interested in such a contest.
Quote : If so then surely an unofficial competition could be organised by someone in the community?

If Scavier's interested and approves yeah.
Quote : If as a result of the competition we get some really good ideas/designs then it is up to Scawen and the guys whether they want to take any of them further.

Of course the designers give up all rights to submitted designs.
Quote :The key issue is, as I say, whether enough people would be interested in expending time and effort creating the designs on the speculative off-chance that the guys might consider using them. Unless Scawen releases a statement saying that there is absolutely no chance they would, it could be an interesting and potentially valuable project.

I think it's worth it. This is just my speculation, but I don't see any reason for Scavier to oppose such contributions if everyone understands that there's no promise any of it will make it in. The way I see it, creative work like this is healthy activity for the "community". And as an artist, the satisfaction of creating a nice piece of art is the best reward, not so much fame or paycheck. Either way submissions could (ought to IMO) be shown on a website; no need for anything fancy, just a clean showcase of submissions so far.

One way to set the thing up would be to suggest a few categories, corresponding to what cars LFS could use. E.G. (as separate, non-mutually exclusive categories) a certain drivetrain, or bodywork (sedan, convertible, etc), or era (e.g. 80s boxy, 60/70s hotrod, etc), or "national" influences (e.g. Italian or Japanese or German or American trends), and aimed to either fit inside new or existing car classes, or be stand-alone models.

It should probably start with a brainstorm thread for consensus on categories, deadlines (if any), where to host it (this or another forum, or independent website) etc. Then take the final draft to Scavier and see what they think of it.
Those are real cars.
Quote from Breizh :Those are real cars.

they don't necessarily have to be... asking for a group C le mans car could result in a car of varying designs.
@bunder9999

Even so, that thread is not the same thing as being suggested here. To use your example, in that thread someone might suggest a Group C Le Mans, whereas in Rocky's proposal people would have to design a specific car. I presume this would involve 3D modelling, or at least detailed illustrations, and description of technical details such as weight distribution, engine, suspension etc. There is a lot more to what Rocky has in mind than goes on in that thread.
i think this is a very good idea

it will give everybody things to do. it will also let everybody know how hard it is making a 3d model of something, or even a detailed enough picture of a car.
This would be cool. Or just to make a contribute page like Valve has on TF2. Wouldn't that be good?
How about updates to old cars? I mean by real world standards, even the shape of the "newer" fictional cars are starting to look outdated. Then probably throw in some new features or characteristics, like probably a wider wheelbase, or a higher HP cap. A good example would be how 90s hatches differ from their 2000 up models. It might be cool to have a fictional evolution of an LFS car in tn years.
yeah. a really cool idea. I would be in, definitly.

But stay realistic the devs wont care about and even if they would need years to implement them..

Sad but true.
Sad to say this.. Although this Contest is good but I don't think car designing means to job of Scawen that people taking his job...
Well, just to throw something here and maybe to inspire some people to share some of their sketches, here are some of mine. Don't take these to seriously because most of them were really quickly made and concentrate on the shape and curves of the car body's design rather than presenting them "shiny shiny".

As always, c+c welcome as well as your ideas, please!
Attached images
Foto0224.jpg
Foto0225.jpg
Foto0226.jpg
Foto0227.jpg
Foto0228.jpg
About this subject(even though it seems a bit dead already, anyway....):

I have the experience that many LFS users are very talented in many different areas. Just to make a list:

- Coders/programmers
- Designers - many with experience in 3ds max and lots of real life designers
- Peoples with leadership abilities(Very important if you wanna make something like this a reality)
- People with real life racing experience

My point is. The LFS forum could ( if someone took charge(and no, i wont do it.. dont have the time )) make a car, a track or what ever. If the developers supported this idea, and allowed the LFS community to do it, it would be possible to make this a reality. Then if a project like this was established, the developers could take over the project and correct whatever they think could be done better. They are the developers after all!

This could be a car made by the LFS community, for the LFS community. A "LFS users car" if you like.

Dont take this post as a "killing lfs/do something about it instead of complaining/waste of time/?!?!?!" thread. I believe that if the right people steps up, this could be made a reality. Please respond in a decently way

smove @ Good that you took an initiative!
Quote from Flingoko :
My point is. The LFS forum could ( if someone took charge(and no, i wont do it.. dont have the time )) make a car, a track or what ever. If the developers supported this idea, and allowed the LFS community to do it, it would be possible to make this a reality. Then if a project like this was established, the developers could take over the project and correct whatever they think could be done better. They are the developers after all!

1-You speaking about mod and mods are prohibited especially on this forum
2-Devs already had proposition like this from modders they rejected them.

I guess here topic ends.

Car Design Contest!?
(23 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG