The online racing simulator
Hosting a Server
(13 posts, started )
Hosting a Server
I guy and Gals... you no doubt get these all the time, im a huge fan of LFS and would love to host my own server...the problem is doing just that!!

lol, firstly i have looked through the site with Skins, Settings and Layouts etc...very impressed!!

Right, i have created a server "Mods UK - Drift Team"... i enter in and appear to be online and working fine, but all my mates that play get the message "Connection Failed". Any idea's what might be causing this problem, thanks in advance!

Darren.
You need to open / forward some ports in your firewall / router.

29339 TCP
63392 TCP and UDP
Hey, i have tryed, i looked at Portforward.com, but sadly my 3com Modem/router is not in the list
Just lookup the gateway IP address on your network, stick that into your web browser, enter the username and password (defaults will in the manual if you've never changed it), and find the relevant setting.
#5 - Gunn
Quote from D4R73N :Hey, i have tryed, i looked at Portforward.com, but sadly my 3com Modem/router is not in the list

If you have only a modem you may not be able to forward ports. If you have a router you almost certainly can. Check your manual to see if port forwarding is a feature. If you can't find the manual just download it.
Most routers require that you log in to the device to make configuration changes. This is done via a web browser window. You will need to know the internal IP address of the router and the default password and user name to access the router. This should be listed in your manual or sometimes even written on the base of the device. If the password doesn't work then probably someone has already changed the password.
There will be a reset button somewhere on the device which will wipe all settings including the password. Usually the reset button is recessed so that you can't accidentally reset the router. This button may need to be held in for 5 seconds to properly reset the device. Once reset the default user name and pass should work again.
If it isn't your router to mess with then get permission first.
Follow the instructions in your manual or post here once you know if you have a modem or router and what model it is.
Anyone here feel like trying to join??

i tryed a couple things, might work now
I'll take that as a no then
Still not working, i've done all the forwarding, virtual server, accepted ports on firewall... dont know what else to do...

Would it have anyhting to do with step 4 on the site "LFS.exe /cfg=setup.cfg"

I dont understand that bit, not explained very well...
#9 - Gunn
In your router port forwarding menu; was there a field called "port map" or something like that? If so, did you enter a port number in that field?
in the game server screen, where it says enter IP address, what IP goes there, and should it be the same as the one in virtual server?
#12 - uiop
Quote from D4R73N :in the game server screen, where it says enter IP address, what IP goes there, and should it be the same as the one in virtual server?

its just so f** frustrating!
Update on the situation: It's a lot more complicated than it first seems.

Net access is provided by a one-ethernet-port Safecom routing gateway (read: router), which is connected to a 4-port Belkin *router*. The hosting PC itself is connected to the Belkin router. So essentially there are two routers in between, and that's why the server ain't working.

Options include (feel free to add if I miss any):
1) Get rid of the Safecom router, and use the Belkin for DSL and LAN. It's a DSL/cable router so it can do this provided it supports the DSL standard (likely).

2) Disable all routing on the Safecom and use it only as a DSL modem, connected to a separate router (Belkin).

3) Forward the ports from the Safecom to the Belkin to the PC (never done this so I'm not sure if it'll even work).

4) Ditch the Belkin and get a switch.

Personally I'd recommend 1 or 4, but 1 is cheaper

Hosting a Server
(13 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG