The online racing simulator
Quote from sam93 :****ING LOL!!! Employer will really care about GCSEs when they see experience and degrees layed out infront of em they'll really care.

I got a double D in applied Science and a C in Maths, my predicted grades were all Bs Cs.

I'm not exactly thick by no means.

I obviously will end up being really smart at the end of it as I'll have to be. But I hate these smart people who think they're a lot better than most people.

Truth is, they probably are.

Good luck talking to an employee with that attitude and language.
Quote from DevilDare :Truth is, they probably are.

Good luck talking to an employee with that attitude and language.

I wouldn't talk to them like that lol. I'm totally different when working.

But when you apply for a job and have everything they ask for and then you get a reply with, you have the qualifications but not the experience so we can't take you on... How often do you get that.

So yes, you need a degree but you also need someone willing to take you on to get the experience.

My cousin just finished a degree is Science, no one will take her on as she has no experience.
Quote from sam93 :****ING LOL!!! Employer will really care about GCSEs when they see experience and degrees layed out infront of em they'll really care.

Here's where you are wrong, public exam results are clear cut and universal, degrees and higher education qualifications can be wishy washy and are hard to determine the integrity of, likewise experience can be bullshit. If you haven't got a B in Maths and and a C in English your application to any vaguely technical job is going to be thrown in the bin, recruiters use grades as the first filter when going through CVs, if you haven't got them they won't read the rest.

Quote :
I got a double D in applied Science and a C in Maths, my predicted grades were all Bs Cs.

I'm not exactly thick by no means.

No you are very thick, a C is generally considered a pass at GCSE. I didn't exactly work hard at school for various reasons but still ended up with 5As, 4Bs and a C without trying very hard.

Quote :
I obviously will end up being really smart at the end of it as I'll have to be. But I hate these smart people who think they're a lot better than most people.

Sorry to break it to you but smart people run the world, earn more and achieve more than stupid people because they are smarter and better. Anybody who feels scared of smart people is particularly stupid.
Scared of smart people...? People will think I generally will think that I think I'm hard by this comment. But I'm not scared of no one, wont get no where in life being that way lol.

I'm very thick? How would you know? You don't even know me and if you have those thoughts about people and you think you're better than them, I wouldn't like to meet you at all.

I never give up, so can't see why I wont get to where I want to.

Can always bullshit GCSEs... I got told this by my mate who runs his own recruitment company, he redone my CV saying I have passes in loads of subjects.

Yeah, is my own doing but I wasn't the best in school as I had a firey temper and anyone who pissed me off would end up knowing about it which ended up getting my kicked out of one school and externally excluded a few times but I'm now paying the price which I accept. That is why when I go to College/Uni I'll make sure I do everything to the best of my ability as my anger/temper is now sorted and the college know about the way I can be like and perfectly accept it and still got accepted onto the course.

I was good at coursework but didn't perform as well in the exams... I was getting As Bs and Cs on my coursework but shows I didn't revise when it came to my exams which wont happen again. The college course I'm doing is aimed at getting people onto the course who don't have good grades and you get extra qualifications in Maths and Science so it then makes up for the grades I've been told.

We will see what happens at the end of it. This college helps you get a career at the end of it also so is great. But I can always go so far and then go to Brunel Uni and get a good degree in Motorsport Engineering. I can always turn everything around.

It's getting your name out there now-a-days. My Dad gets phone calls all the time with people asking him to go work for their company as he is top notch at what he does which is all experienced based.

We will see when the time comes I suppose.
Volvo 360 GLS
Quote from sam93 :
I never give up, so can't see why I wont get to where I want to.

Give up? From what you've said I see no evidence that you've started anything to give up.

Quote :
Can always bullshit GCSEs... I got told this by my mate who runs his own recruitment company, he redone my CV saying I have passes in loads of subjects.

That's all great until you try and apply for a decent job, employers ask for a sum of your GCSE grades or ask you the number of A*-C passes you have, answering that you have 2 GCSEs will get you immediately discredited from any interview, they can afford to be picky.

Quote :
It's getting your name out there now-a-days. My Dad gets phone calls all the time with people asking him to go work for their company as he is top notch at what he does which is all experienced based.

IIRC your dad works in salvage which is a pikey led industry and certainly isn't engineering, contacts help to an extent in engineering but people often mistake simply knowing people with effective networking.
#82 - senn
Mid engined awesomeness, for chump change. Maintenance costs can be high tho, as with any mid engined car.
Toyota Mk2 MR2 (SW20)
Toyota Mk1 MR2 (AW11) Getting on a bit now, harder to find ones that don't require work. Better driving experience (if a bit slower in a straight line as standard) than a mk2

Toyota Levin AE111 - Late 90's FWD, Reliable 1.6L 4 Cyl motor (4A-GE + 4AGZE) It's FWD, but they look awesome, and handle pretty well. Easy to work on, 4A-GE/GZE are fairly bullet proof, providing you change fluids regularily.

Mazda MX5 - Balance and poise that can't be beat for the price. Pretty reliable from what i have seen too.

Mazda FC RX7 - The good - Quick, nimble, sound awesome, look retro. The bad - Thirsty, usually thrashed/modified.

Mitsubishi Evo - Amazing bang for buck. AWD/engine maintenance can be expensive as they get older.

Nissan Skyline GTS-T R33 - Dunno how many are on the ground where you are, but again, amazing bang for buck, quicker than a standard GTR. Even quicker if you upgrade stuff. R32 GTS-T's are a bit lacking in torque, but still good car, but the RB20 is a bit small.

Don't know much about the European stuff, so i won't comment on it.

To be honest, i'd be looking for something more standard, with a good power to weight ratio, and a reputation for reliability, if that's what you need at this point in your life. Performance cars aren't made for low budget's, or good fuel use, or affordable maintenance + upkeep for students, and it only gets worse as they get older (and more abused)
Quote from ajp71 :Give up? From what you've said I see no evidence that you've started anything to give up.

That's all great until you try and apply for a decent job, employers ask for a sum of your GCSE grades or ask you the number of A*-C passes you have, answering that you have 2 GCSEs will get you immediately discredited from any interview, they can afford to be picky.

IIRC your dad works in salvage which is a pikey led industry and certainly isn't engineering, contacts help to an extent in engineering but people often mistake simply knowing people with effective networking.

My Dad doesn't work in Salvage thats for sure! Not going into what he does as its no ones business but he doesn't do anything pikey led.

I've lost my GCSE certificates anyway.

I haven't started anything? No not yet, my course starts in september, but yay ho. I'll reply later on, got better things to do like going out now haha.
Quote from ajp71 :Without meaning to be harsh if you can't get As or at the very least Bs in GCSE maths and physics without trying then there is no hope of ever getting an engineering degree

cant believe it took 3 pages for someone to finally say it
simple fact of life if you have trouble achieving the qualification needed to go to uni in the first place 99.9% of the time youll never get anywhere at uni and drop out after the first semester
theres a reason that anything engineering related has a drop out rate of ~60%
Quote from ajp71 :Without meaning to be harsh if you can't get As or at the very least Bs in GCSE maths and physics without trying then there is no hope of ever getting an engineering degree or working in any kind of motorsport design role.

A load of crap tbh. My mate who left school with worse GCSEs than me is now in Uni doing Mechanical Engineering with Composites. So it can be done, just have to work hard to get there. He didn't do any A-Levels. Just got distinctions in CAD/CAM (2 of them) and was then allowed on the course.
Yes, some universities will allow non-A-level and GCSE failures to do a foundation course (probably a two year course) before attempting the degree course.

It is possible to get into university, as a mature student, with no prior qualifications at all. It is possible to get a degree without doing any work (honourary - usually for celebrities).

But that doesn't mean that Bath Uni will be even vaguely interested in wasting time putting you on their course. You will have to do a good job in the interviews to convince them when you get there.....
Quote from tristancliffe :Yes, some universities will allow non-A-level and GCSE failures to do a foundation course (probably a two year course) before attempting the degree course.

It is possible to get into university, as a mature student, with no prior qualifications at all. It is possible to get a degree without doing any work (honourary - usually for celebrities).

But that doesn't mean that Bath Uni will be even vaguely interested in wasting time putting you on their course. You will have to do a good job in the interviews to convince them when you get there.....

He was a mature student and done the foundation year and is now on the actual course. Yeah, he says he struggles with the maths but it wont be easy.

I can always do all these BSc degree and then go and try to get a B/MEng. Nothing stopping me.

Oh, and who ever said this course just teaches you to be a mechanic, not exactly true. Thats why as you move up to each better course they start teaching you some bloody interesting subjects.

I can't see why people are saying these courses I'll be doing (BTEC FD+ND, Foundation Degree, Honours Degree in Motorsport Engineering) Is pointless and wont teach me nothing. If it was a pointless course I doubt Bath University would be interested in running their course! Says a lot aswell that this college is the only one in the UK with a college on a racing circuit. So yeah, totally pointless right?

It'll be good that I'll live very closely to Castle Combe so can always go down on a race weekend in the pits getting myself known!
#88 - Jakg
Quote from sam93 :A load of crap tbh. My mate who left school with worse GCSEs than me is now in Uni doing Mechanical Engineering with Composites. So it can be done, just have to work hard to get there. He didn't do any A-Levels. Just got distinctions in CAD/CAM (2 of them) and was then allowed on the course.

Oxford have let people in with U's before... that doesn't mean if you get a U at A-Levels you can go to Oxford.
Quote from Shotglass :cant believe it took 3 pages for someone to finally say it
simple fact of life if you have trouble achieving the qualification needed to go to uni in the first place 99.9% of the time youll never get anywhere at uni and drop out after the first semester
theres a reason that anything engineering related has a drop out rate of ~60%

Very true, when I started my course the lecture hall had less seats than students in it. They said that by the end of the first year there would be plenty of room and they were exactly right, the number of people that dropped out within the first few weeks was amazing. I would have thought we are nearing 50% drop out now at the end of my second year, and having just had exams that were much harder than in the first year I wouldn't be surprised if a lot more people drop out. Engineering courses are very high stress and require a great deal of commitment, but it is a reflection of what the career at the end is like, if you want to doss about for three years then walk into a well paid job do business studies

Quote from sam93 :A load of crap tbh. My mate who left school with worse GCSEs than me is now in Uni doing Mechanical Engineering with Composites. So it can be done, just have to work hard to get there.

I highly doubt your friend has 1 or less GCSE passes, assuming he's a Plymouth one of the entry specifications for that course is "English Language, Mathematics and a Science subject at Grade C.".

Brookes require 5 GCSE passes to get onto the foundation course, with two GCSEs you are going to struggle in life and I wouldn't bother trying to go down an academic route of any kind, go get a job at Kwik Fit or do a vocational course, it would suit you a lot better than trying to waste time and money either doing a meaningless foundation degree or actually managing to get onto a real course that you can't handle.
Quote from ajp71 :Brookes require 5 GCSE passes to get onto the foundation course, with two GCSEs you are going to struggle in life and I wouldn't bother trying to go down an academic route of any kind, go get a job at Kwik Fit or do a vocational course, it would suit you a lot better than trying to waste time and money either doing a meaningless foundation degree or actually managing to get onto a real course that you can't handle.

You're ****ing necky! I'll do what I want, whats the point in going doing a vocational course in mechanics when I know a lot more about cars than most 17yr olds! I've been working on cars since I can remember.

You all think its a pointless course, if it was pointless they wouldn't run it. You lot make me laugh tbh.

You should knuckle it ****ing down. Trying to make me feel small and you thinking you're better than me... PAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

You need to learn to grow up ffs. Stop thinking you're better than everyone, you'll piss a lot of people off in your life.
Quote from sam93 :He was a mature student and done the foundation year and is now on the actual course. Yeah, he says he struggles with the maths but it wont be easy.

You're not a mature student. You're not mature.
Quote from sam93 :I can always do all these BSc degree and then go and try to get a B/MEng. Nothing stopping me.

Apart from the entry requirements!!
Quote from sam93 :Oh, and who ever said this course just teaches you to be a mechanic, not exactly true. Thats why as you move up to each better course they start teaching you some bloody interesting subjects.

Interesting, but complex and difficult. If you struggle with GCSE maths then you'll explode. And the course you want to do won't be sufficient to design parts of F1 cars, but would probably be enough to design FFord parts for Comtec - why not listen/read what people are telling you.
Quote from sam93 :I can't see why people are saying these courses I'll be doing (BTEC FD+ND, Foundation Degree, Honours Degree in Motorsport Engineering) Is pointless and wont teach me nothing. If it was a pointless course I doubt Bath University would be interested in running their course! Says a lot aswell that this college is the only one in the UK with a college on a racing circuit. So yeah, totally pointless right?

Pointless for what YOU want to do with it... I know a company that is based at Snetterton that is effectively just a garage. Doesn't mean they'll be able to design an F3 car or be able to make one go quickly. Location has little to do with the quality of the course.

It'll be good that I'll live very closely to Castle Combe so can always go down on a race weekend in the pits getting myself known![/QUOTE]
Quote from sam93 :
I can't see why people are saying these courses I'll be doing (BTEC FD+ND, Foundation Degree, Honours Degree in Motorsport Engineering) Is pointless and wont teach me nothing.

They'll teach you a little bit about fixing cars, though as you'll most likely end up as a road car mechanic you'd probably be better off doing a more conventional road car mechanic's apprenticeship.

What you're failing to see is that GCSEs are a qualification, they aren't meant to show how well behaved you were in school (although they often do), they show whether you understand the required grade of knowledge in the subject that a 16 year old should have (in your case clearly not).

A university degree takes A levels as the base and builds on them, it assumes you were able to cope and learn at the rate expected to do A levels in the usual two years. An undergraduate degree is a natural progression from A level so as a result a greater level of independence and rate of learning are expected.

The courses you are on about aim to take extra years to slowly bring you to the required level to enter uni, this is fundamentally flawed, because once you're at uni you'll be expected to work like everybody else, which you just won't be able to do. Not everybody can do physics and maths beyond GCSE level, even those who get A* struggle, my college refused to take anybody with less than an A (exceptionally Bs) at GCSE onto physics or maths, and with good reason. The idea that you can't even pass GCSE applied science (which is already dumbed down) and want to do what is an applied physics and maths subject is ridiculous.

Quote :
It'll be good that I'll live very closely to Castle Combe so can always go down on a race weekend in the pits getting myself known!

They're next to a race circuit so you get hands on experience as a mechanic, on a course that is designed to produce mechanics, technicians and fabricators but not engineers. Silverstone also has a similar course, nothing wrong with them but don't expect to be designing anything or using them as a spring step to an engineering degree. Brookes also has a college tied to it (Cherwell Valley) and sells the premise that you can move onto to do an engineering degree, but the actual success rate of this is pretty much zero. There are plenty of engineering foundation years and most will be recognised by other unis, if you can't get on one of those give up.

Quote from Jakg :Oxford have let people in with U's before... that doesn't mean if you get a U at A-Levels you can go to Oxford.

In exceptional circumstances when it is accompanied by 4 As... not exactly Sam's situation.
Quote from ajp71 :They'll teach you a little bit about fixing cars, though as you'll most likely end up as a road car mechanic you'd probably be better off doing a more conventional road car mechanic's apprenticeship.

What you're failing to see is that GCSEs are a qualification, they aren't meant to show how well behaved you were in school (although they often do), they show whether you understand the required grade of knowledge in the subject that a 16 year old should have (in your case clearly not).

A university degree takes A levels as the base and builds on them, it assumes you were able to cope and learn at the rate expected to do A levels in the usual two years. An undergraduate degree is a natural progression from A level so as a result a greater level of independence and rate of learning are expected.

The courses you are on about aim to take extra years to slowly bring you to the required level to enter uni, this is fundamentally flawed, because once you're at uni you'll be expected to work like everybody else, which you just won't be able to do. Not everybody can do physics and maths beyond GCSE level, even those who get A* struggle, my college refused to take anybody with less than an A (exceptionally Bs) at GCSE onto physics or maths, and with good reason. The idea that you can't even pass GCSE applied science (which is already dumbed down) and want to do what is an applied physics and maths subject is ridiculous.

They're next to a race circuit so you get hands on experience as a mechanic, on a course that is designed to produce mechanics, technicians and fabricators but not engineers. Silverstone also has a similar course, nothing wrong with them but don't expect to be designing anything or using them as a spring step to an engineering degree. Brookes also has a college tied to it (Cherwell Valley) and sells the premise that you can move onto to do an engineering degree, but the actual success rate of this is pretty much zero. There are plenty of engineering foundation years and most will be recognised by other unis, if you can't get on one of those give up.

In exceptional circumstances when it is accompanied by 4 As... not exactly Sam's situation.

I've said loads of times, I messed school up. I ****ed about in lessons and hardly listened. Hence why my results are shite! But I'm going the long run.

Make me a good mechanic? I doubt it. You haven't been there, seen what they do. I have done. So why don't you just STFU you stuck up ****!
Quote :Sam,
Because Wiltshire College runs formula Ford card, most of our students who go into motorsport related jobs start with formula ford teams, although we have students working with touring cars as well.
As far as jobs are concerned, there are no guarantees of jobs at the end of any course. Individual students have to make opportunities for themselves or take advantage of opportunities that arise, helped by getting as much experience as possible, and getting themselves known – with the assistance of a bit of luck!
A BEng is an academic engineering qualification whereas the BSc is a more technology based qualification. Although at the same level, they are significantly different in content and nature. The level of knowledge that you acquire during your education is mostly down to you and how interested in the subject you are studying.
Regards,
Richard.

So... Straight from the horses mouth. I'll be able to do what I want to do. I'm happy with the course and thats all that matters to be honest.
#95 - AMB
Quote from sam93 :I've said loads of times, I messed school up. I ****ed about in lessons and hardly listened. Hence why my results are shite! But I'm going the long run.

Make me a good mechanic? I doubt it. You haven't been there, seen what they do. I have done. So why don't you just STFU you stuck up ****!

You're so mature.
Doesn't say anything about designing or building the FFord or Touring Cars though, just that ex-students have jobs on the team. Possibly as coffee makers for the clever ones working on the car, sitting with the laptops or standing at the drawing boards.
I have to sympathise that I totally screwed up my education too, so I know where he's coming from. If I had the ability to go back now and study something I was interested in (music or graphic design) I would do, but they wouldn't let me back then so I'm stuck where I am 15 years later. Let that be a lesson to you all At least portfolios appear to be more important than qualifications in both of my fields.

I like how passionate sam93 is about stuff, and you need that. But I have say that attitude needs reeling in some. Just because someone disagrees with you doesn't mean you need to tell them to get lost. Take it on board. They might be wrong, but they also might give you the single most important piece of advice you ever get.
Everywhere you go people will criticise you; if you take it all that personally you'll spend more time getting yourself out of fights than doing the actual work.
Quote from tristancliffe :Doesn't say anything about designing or building the FFord or Touring Cars though, just that ex-students have jobs on the team. Possibly as coffee makers for the clever ones working on the car, sitting with the laptops or standing at the drawing boards.

Tristan, just dont bother... If he wants to let him do it... At the end of the day, its not you that will be stuck with the qualification.
Quote from Dajmin :I have to sympathise that I totally screwed up my education too, so I know where he's coming from. If I had the ability to go back now and study something I was interested in (music or graphic design) I would do, but they wouldn't let me back then so I'm stuck where I am 15 years later. Let that be a lesson to you all At least portfolios appear to be more important than qualifications in both of my fields.

I like how passionate sam93 is about stuff, and you need that. But I have say that attitude needs reeling in some. Just because someone disagrees with you doesn't mean you need to tell them to get lost. Take it on board. They might be wrong, but they also might give you the single most important piece of advice you ever get.
Everywhere you go people will criticise you; if you take it all that personally you'll spend more time getting yourself out of fights than doing the actual work.

I'm a pretty layed back person until annoyed. Takes a lot for me to get like that now-a-days. But, constantly on here, no one gives you credit, just critisism. You've gave me credit and critisism in a non arrogant manor. So I take that on board and give you respect for your words. If people on here gave credit aswell as critisism. There would be a totally different side to me lol.

Hopefully I'll get to where I want to though ay haha.

Quote from DevilDare :Tristan, just dont bother... If he wants to let him do it... At the end of the day, its not you that will be stuck with the qualification.

Loads of people get qualifications and dont then use them later on in life.
Quote from sam93 :You're ****ing necky! I'll do what I want, whats the point in going doing a vocational course in mechanics when I know a lot more about cars than most 17yr olds! I've been working on cars since I can remember.

Then go and get a job working on cars then, if that's what you want to do. You don't need any qualifications beyond GCSEs to start working for a motorsport team, although some will be dubious about employing someone who has failed so badly at school. Once you're working for a team they'll often encourage you to go to a specialist college and do courses relevant to what they do, this will allow you to progress with a secure job, much better than doing general courses.

Quote from sam93 :

I've worked with people who have been to such colleges, they make good mechanics but don't seem to have gained much and certainly the brighter ones reckon they'd have been better learning on the job than attending a college doing a course like these.

Quote from sam93 :So... Straight from the horses mouth. I'll be able to do what I want to do. I'm happy with the course and thats all that matters to be honest.

You've not read what he said, nothing about designing cars and no guarantee of a job.

Young Driver, Doing Motorsport Engineering and wants a quickish car.
(152 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG