The online racing simulator
Vertex Shader 3.0 required games
(9 posts, started )
I recently got a x850 Pro from a friend of mine and its a huge improvement over my aging 6200 BFG oc. COD 2 can now be maxed at 1024x768 and run smoothly at 30 ish+ fps, COH can be put at Very High at at around 20+ on a 8 player map when viewing a chaotic chokepoint, LFS looks stunning maxed at 1280x1024 with Lynce's pack and rfactor is crisp. But apparently it dosent support Vertex Shader 3.0 which won't let me play MW2.

Im curious at what other modern games i cant play such as Bioshock, FEAR 2, and etc.

Because of this, im looking at this deal on tiger direct.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/app ... No=5071689&CatId=2234

With the following specs what are the projected fps of COH, MW 2, Bioshock 1 and 2, FEAR 2 on at least 1024x768?

3.0 ghz P4 /w HT
2 GB DDR Ram
Asus P4P800-e Deluxe mobo
Bioshock 1 got unofficial shader 2.0 support if i remember right, shortly after it came out, mainly since there was no real reason it couldn`t run under it.
Quote from Sueycide_FD :which won't let me play MW2.

Glad to hear that.

Most new games need Vertex Shader 3.0.
BC2 etc.

This card is something in between de 9600 and 9800 from Nvidia (slightly faster then the 9600).
Sueycide, even if you upgrade your video card, you're unlikely to get good fps in those games you listed. Your CPU is the bottleneck, P4 is a very very old CPU and it won't play those games very well. I'm guessing around 10fps or so would be the max at decent quality. You'd be better off saving up for a new computer, I've learned the hard way that upgrading isn't the way to go.
Quote from shiny_red_cobra :Sueycide, even if you upgrade your video card, you're unlikely to get good fps in those games you listed. Your CPU is the bottleneck, P4 is a very very old CPU and it won't play those games very well. I'm guessing around 10fps or so would be the max at decent quality. You'd be better off saving up for a new computer, I've learned the hard way that upgrading isn't the way to go.

Upgrading is the way to go, if you got a kinda recent socket and motherboard. In his case, he doesn't even have PCI-E, so a new computer is better, but in most cases today, upgrading will be better.
Quote from Bose321 :Upgrading is the way to go, if you got a kinda recent socket and motherboard. In his case, he doesn't even have PCI-E, so a new computer is better, but in most cases today, upgrading will be better.

First of all, it's not a "he" lol, it's a she. Second of all, new computers don't need to be upgraded. I wouldn't want to buy a computer, then upgrade it a month later, that's not the point of buying a new computer! A person only starts wanting to upgrade their computer after a few years pass by, and by that point it's not worth it to upgrade anymore because new technologies are out by then. Therefore, upgrading in general is not worth it. Trust me.
I only bought 2 computers since I was 13, and both I built myself. I was constantly swapping out internals, though. New video cards came every couple years, with new motherboards being swapped in every 3 or 4 years along with a new CPU. I sometimes upgraded the CPU once between motherboard upgrades.
Ahh okay. I've been avoiding PCI-E for the longest but it's probally long overdue for me to move on. Money is just a issue right now and needs to go towards more important things than a full overhaul.
that price is a ripoff, i sold a perfectly good 4850 for $80 to someone on an overclocking forum. you can probably get something as good or better for less than $120 shipped. but i'd only buy from someone trusted. You should stick w/ the x850 till you can afford to get a new cpu/mobo/ram.

(9 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG