The online racing simulator
London 2012 Logo
(93 posts, started )
Gun crime is on the rise, the ederly will have no pensions in 5 years thanks to Brown, children have some of the worst living conditions out of all major countries (came something like 64th i think), alcohol and drugs are a huge problem, the NHS is in a serious condition with super bugs due to unclean hospitals...but on the plus side we hosting the Olympics and we have a new football stadium...both horribly over budget, the stadium was several years late and sports facilities are so crap here that I doubt we will even win any gold medals at our own Olympics.

Railways are 50 years old, never run on time. We pay the most tax in europe if not the world, we are constantly watched since we have the highest number of CCTV cameras in europe. We even have bugged wheelie bins to spy on the amount of rubbish we have, so that they can tax us on that too. Its almost impossible to get on the property ladder, we have an extreme problem with debt and teenage pregnancy. They make us pay to drive into London, as if we do it for fun...the only people driving in London are the people who have to do it.

I can go on and on and on, but its still better than most. I just wanted to give some background so you wouldn't think I just hated my country, I do love it, its just frustrating to see how wrong its going.

:ices_rofl
^^^^ lol, that sums the logo up perfectly....totally f**ked.
#29 - SamH
I can't claim this as my own.. I think the BBC graphics guys turned out the basic form in just a few mins.
Attached images
london2012.gif
Vomiting on an Olympic logo? Last time I checked the news some old folks actually fainted or suffered heart attacks thanks to that.

What's next? A logo with an image of a bowel movement?

When it rains, it floods. When civilization decays, the rate grow exponentially.
Quote from SamH :I can't claim this as my own.. I think the BBC graphics guys turned out the basic form in just a few mins.

That looks much much better than the one in the first post.
Quote from SamH :I can't claim this as my own.. I think the BBC graphics guys turned out the basic form in just a few mins.

oooo me likey, post it in post it in
#33 - llew
#35 - SamH
Quote from Xaid0n :oooo me likey, post it in post it in

LOL! Can't! Snot mine to submit.. and it sounds like quite a few people have submitted it already! LOL!

The BBC article makes an interesting point that the accepted logo is popular within the design community even though it's not popular with the public. The question is.. who is right? The obvious answer to this obvious question is that the public are right, and that the chosen design is all wrong. The only logo that should be used is one that meets the expectations of the "customer", and the public is most definitely the customer when talking about something like the Olympic Games.

This whole problem is what happens when you suffer from the infernal problem of corporate incest. That this terrible logo was chosen FOR the people instead of BY the people was the base mistake, and it was a terrible mistake to make simply because it could so easily have been avoided. Put simply, we could have told them.
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :Gun crime is on the rise, the ederly will have no pensions in 5 years thanks to Brown, children have some of the worst living conditions out of all major countries (came something like 64th i think), alcohol and drugs are a huge problem, the NHS is in a serious condition with super bugs due to unclean hospitals...but on the plus side we hosting the Olympics and we have a new football stadium...both horribly over budget, the stadium was several years late and sports facilities are so crap here that I doubt we will even win any gold medals at our own Olympics.

Railways are 50 years old, never run on time. We pay the most tax in europe if not the world, we are constantly watched since we have the highest number of CCTV cameras in europe. We even have bugged wheelie bins to spy on the amount of rubbish we have, so that they can tax us on that too. Its almost impossible to get on the property ladder, we have an extreme problem with debt and teenage pregnancy. They make us pay to drive into London, as if we do it for fun...the only people driving in London are the people who have to do it.

I can go on and on and on, but its still better than most. I just wanted to give some background so you wouldn't think I just hated my country, I do love it, its just frustrating to see how wrong its going.

You see, now that's telling it like it is. Thank you.

No tour guide, tour book, or tour tv program, or friends and family who just got back from a visit a few weeks ago pictures in hand, will tell you what it's like to live there.

I sympathize. Canada is deteriorating as well, IMO.
Bump.

London 2012 now has mascots.

First a blowjob logo and now two distinctly penis shaped creatures as mascots... I would expect this stuff from the Dutch or whoever, not from the perceivebly conservative Brits.
Quote from Kalev EST :Bump.

London 2012 now has mascots.

First a blowjob logo and now two distinctly penis shaped creatures as mascots... I would expect this stuff from the Dutch or whoever, not from the perceivebly conservative Brits.

wait...wut?
Quote from Kalev EST :I would expect this stuff from the Dutch or whoever, not from the perceivebly conservative Brits.

So which country wants to deepthro... no I won't go there!
England is f*cked up.
Apparently, "It will go great with the kids..."
what is funny is that there are thousands of design students out there, even non-students who could have come up with a better concept for the logo and mascots at next to zero cost for he Olympics committee.

All these concepts are far to 'euro' style to be quintessentially British. .Of course everyone will hate them! Waste of money... as usual
#44 - JJ72
Quote from Intrepid :what is funny is that there are thousands of design students out there, even non-students who could have come up with a better concept for the logo and mascots at next to zero cost for he Olympics committee.

You're joking.

No matter who is the designer, it still has to go through a lengthy period of research and focus group studies, and those cost millions.

What is a better concept is debatable, but trusting the image of a olympic game on a design student on his on device will be mostly likely disastrous.

I have reserves for the logo and Mascot (firstly I have to comprehen what the heck it actually is!) but it's still early, you gotta give it a year or so for it to sink through, and the rest of the campaign come together, then we might see why they came up with these.

From earlier readings the designer was trying to present a new britain, funky edgy and not restricted by convention, some sort of neo-punk asthetics, what came out was certainly ground breaking but I think it still has to tie with something we can all identify with.
Quote from JJ72 :You're joking.

No matter who is the designer, it still has to go through a lengthy period of research and focus group studies, and those cost millions.

What is a better concept is debatable, but trusting the image of a olympic game on a design student on his on device will be mostly likely disastrous.

no, not one design student.... I mean thousands of design students. Then all you have to do is hav a group of people to decide the top 100 or so to filter out the ones shaped like bellends and put it to a public vote.

It's really not that hard to put together and organise and you would get a better result.

Just look at this so-called disastrous attempts by the public of the 2012 logo

Cost = £0

compared to

cost = £400,000

£0 and better designs OR £400,000 shite design.... they didn't learn did they!

Disastrous =

Read this thread just now.

Reminds me of our national logo

Cost was about 600 000 pounds back in 2001.
Quote from JJ72 :firstly I have to comprehen what the heck it actually is!

Ah yes. Apparently they're "drops of steel with cameras for eyes".

But don't feel bad. As Lible pointed out, we have a history of spending ludacris amounts of money on crappy logos, too.
#48 - JJ72
Quote from Intrepid :no, not one design student.... I mean thousands of design students. Then all you have to do is hav a group of people to decide the top 100 or so to filter out the ones shaped like bellends and put it to a public vote.

It's really not that hard to put together and organise and you would get a better result.

Democracy does not work in design, there's never been a respectable design competition that is decided by public vote. A&AD doesn't, nor does RSA, at best it is decided by 5 to 6 people in a panel.

If you allow the public to vote, it will just come out with the safest and most expected design, with no regard in the actual subtlety of design details.

Furthermore it is a design that has to communicate worldwide, your average joe just wouldn't tell what sort of logo can communicate internationally, let alone knowing which one can work as a system, which one is more portable in other medias, that's judgement requires professional knowledge.

If you look at your local design competitions, RSA or whatever, in any category you will hard pressed to find a dozen truely workable ideas, and that's from a nationwide worth of (internationally speaking, REALLY GOOD) design students.

btw your link doesn't work.
Quote from JJ72 :Democracy does not work in design, there's never been a respectable design competition that is decided by public vote. A&AD doesn't, nor does RSA, at best it is decided by 5 to 6 people in a panel.

If you allow the public to vote, it will just come out with the safest and most expected design, with no regard in the actual subtlety of design details.

Furthermore it is a design that has to communicate worldwide, your average joe just wouldn't tell what sort of logo can communicate internationally, let alone knowing which one can work as a system, which one is more portable in other medias, that's judgement requires professional knowledge.

If you look at your local design competitions, RSA or whatever, in any category you will hard pressed to find a dozen truely workable ideas, and that's from a nationwide worth of (internationally speaking, REALLY GOOD) design students.

blah blah blah you sound like someone trying to justify their own design job. I researched how much it would cost me to get a basic 3d intro for some videos I was putting together I've heard this design shpeel all before. Well after getting the quotes I decided instead of wasting money I downloaded Blender and within 2 weeks had what I wanted for free!

No one can remember mascots of years gone by so why waste thousands maybe millions employing people to waste a shit load of money trying to create something 'relevant' and something that is 'portable across various media'? What you want is some cool looking design that's doesn't need a committee to explain why it's got some stupid bands on its wrists.

This is typical wasteful down the drain spending because some design companies have fooled the organisers into a concept that's wholly irrelevant.

With something like the Olympics which is NOT a fully private enterprise you need to be much smarter. I have seen some absolutely stonkingly good 2012 logos since the abortion that is the £400,000 Lisa Simpson one we have now... all free all design by job public.
Quote from JJ72 :Democracy does not work in design, there's never been a respectable design competition that is decided by public vote. A&AD doesn't, nor does RSA, at best it is decided by 5 to 6 people in a panel.

Does that mean that successful design has to be something that most people dislike? I'm not sure about that. The public don't like being preached at, and being told something has artistic merit, despite it being an embarrassing piece of crap to most people, is alienating.

This isn't your usual design competition. If it represents the nation, then the people of that nation should, on the whole, at least be indifferent about it

London 2012 Logo
(93 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG