The online racing simulator
Help me improve the quality of the Event Database
Hi guys,

Many of you use, or will be aware of spdoRacing's Event Database, which has been online for a couple of years with the primary purpose of hosting league replays and results.

This message is simply a request to all of you who take part in league racing - even if it's just the odd event - to enable LFS's MPR autosave setting and help us get all of the league replays online promptly in future.

I'm starting to be much harder on admins who fail to save and upload replays and this will have a knock-on effect to those of you who use our site. Any leagues which fail to upload any replays at all will be removed from our site in future (this affects active and future competitions, not past competitions), meaning that your results and stats from those competitions will not be available on our system.

However, it's very simple for us to avoid that situation. All you guys have to do is enable the autosave feature and there's no chance of you missing replays. Additionally, if you're tired of waiting a week or more for your admins to put the replays and results online, you can contact me directly and ask for instructions on how to upload replays yourself.

-------------------

Feel free to post your thoughts; positive or negative. It would help me to deliver this request to a decent proportion of the community if people could keep the thread on the first page of this sub-forum for a few days at least . You could also help a great deal by suggesting to your fellow league competitors that they enable the autosave feature in future.

Thanks for reading!
Can we post general suggestions here?

Anyway, it would be good to fix the wrong display of some characters there, like here in his name. It seems like a kind of encoding problem, although you use UTF-8. It's a minor thing but details make the whole thing perfect
#5 - J@tko
One thing I thought of, not sure if it is actually possible or not, is to have a form to fill in for submitting leagues and events rather than a thread where people constantly do it wrong and josh ends up getting angry :P

Just like a box for round number, date, time, track, distance/time, then the ability to add boxes for more rounds.
Just a little note to say that I wasn't fully aware for the quali replay when Momo added Dailycious to your database, I can insure you that it was not by negligence, so we will add autosave to the automatic racing config today to make sure this doesn't happen again.

Sorry for the trouble and THX for making/managing this database!
#7 - Bean0
Quote from J@tko :One thing I thought of, not sure if it is actually possible or not, is to have a form to fill in for submitting leagues and events rather than a thread where people constantly do it wrong and josh ends up getting angry :P

Just like a box for round number, date, time, track, distance/time, then the ability to add boxes for more rounds.

I prefer the way it is done now, although it is extra work for Josh.

It keeps out the rif-raf
maybe add some new class which are use in some league like MoE. GT2 for example. I don't know if it is possible :s
Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I keep seeing posts in here while I'm at work and therefore not responding for fear of reprisal :P. But it's my lunch break now so fk it.

Quote from Flame CZE :Can we post general suggestions here?

Anyway, it would be good to fix the wrong display of some characters there, like here in his name. It seems like a kind of encoding problem, although you use UTF-8. It's a minor thing but details make the whole thing perfect

I've noticed that issue and I will try and have a proper look at it soon. I am very busy at the moment though and there are a couple of other things I have to take care of first.

Quote from J@tko :One thing I thought of, not sure if it is actually possible or not, is to have a form to fill in for submitting leagues and events rather than a thread where people constantly do it wrong and josh ends up getting angry :P

That actually used to exist but there were a lot of mistakes & half-complete submissions etc. The good thing about the current system is that I can get a good idea of the competence of people (and therefore how likely they are to run a decent league, upload replays etc.) by their posts in the request thread.

With a data entry system there wouldn't be the same level of communication between myself and the applicants which isn't really something I'd like.

Quote from MoMo92i :maybe add some new class which are use in some league like MoE. GT2 for example. I don't know if it is possible :s

I plan to do that in the future, but it's too much work to implement it for the current site I'm afraid.
I noticed a perverse effect of having a leagues in the database, some drivers who are really focussed on their stats tend to retire when not on the podium, so I would like to suggest to add a DNF count to the stats.
Of course I have not idea if it is possible, but I thought this had to be mentioned here...

BTW I have added your website in an Iframe to our Dailycious topic, I hope this is not a problem? http://www.ready2rollteam.com/ ... wtopic.php?f=44&t=675
As there have been other suggestions, I'd like to add one of my own. Could there be a way to search for certain combos? Say you want to see how popular a combos is you could put it in, and you would get back all the events that have taken place there. Or simply you want to see what kind of pace the people at the front/middle/back have.

Recently a friend and I were searching through the database to find replays to use in a video, and we had to go page by page through the Competition Index to find what we wanted.
Quote from Framaris :I noticed a perverse effect of having a leagues in the database, some drivers who are really focussed on their stats tend to retire when not on the podium, so I would like to suggest to add a DNF count to the stats.
Of course I have not idea if it is possible, but I thought this had to be mentioned here...

BTW I have added your website in an Iframe to our Dailycious topic, I hope this is not a problem? http://www.ready2rollteam.com/ ... wtopic.php?f=44&t=675

I don't see why anyone would do that. If you DNF then the result still counts towards your stats and appears in your results as a low finishing position. DNF's aren't treated any differently to race finishes.

I don't have any problem with the iframe.

Quote from nikopdr :Why am I listed as a somalian...
http://www.spdoracing.com/eventdb/driver/nikopdr

It's because the nationalities are grabbed from the country highlights files. Each of these files contains a fixed number of the most recent highlights. Evidently, your nationality was once set to Somalia and as there are no active drivers for that nation your name still appears in its highlights file. Therefore, whenever the highlights files are read your nationality is set to Somalian. The same issue effects a handful of other people too.
Quote from joshdifabio :That actually used to exist but there were a lot of mistakes & half-complete submissions etc. The good thing about the current system is that I can get a good idea of the competence of people (and therefore how likely they are to run a decent league, upload replays etc.) by their posts in the request thread.

With a data entry system there wouldn't be the same level of communication between myself and the applicants which isn't really something I'd like.

Yep I'd agree completely with that - just thought I'd just put it out there anyway

Great job with it, btw
Quote from joshdifabio :I don't see why anyone would do that. If you DNF then the result still counts towards your stats and appears in your results as a low finishing position. DNF's aren't treated any differently to race finishes.

THX for the fast answer!

My excuses for the stupid question, I must say that I am not much aware of how your database works, I thought you were using lfs functions which only counts the races if finished, does that means that your system analyse the replay and count the race if you start?
Quote from Framaris :...I thought you were using lfs functions which only counts the races if finished, does that means that your system analyse the replay and count the race if you start?

That's right. The parser goes right through the replay from start to finish picking up split times, DNF's, driver changes etc.

Btw guys, remember to enable MPR autosave!
an improvement suggestion can be a search function because there are lot of leagues, and ofc more than 200,000 LFS username !

Keep it up
Also a quick question, has the user ranking stopped working? I've been ranked 384 for ages, even though I've done quite a few leagues recently.
can you (at least partially) automate the registration process necessary to have events listed on the database?
Quote from MoMo92i :an improvement suggestion can be a search function because there are lot of leagues, and ofc more than 200,000 LFS username !

Keep it up

It's been suggested many times and I do plan to do it on the next site .

Quote from pik_d :Also a quick question, has the user ranking stopped working? I've been ranked 384 for ages, even though I've done quite a few leagues recently.

It has stopped working, yes. I noticed it a couple of days ago. I'll try and look into it asap.

Quote from bunder9999 :can you (at least partially) automate the registration process necessary to have events listed on the database?

No, I don't think so. I stated the reasons behind the current system earlier in the thread. There is a very high correlation between the group of people who can be bothered to read the instructions and post their schedule in the proper format and those who run a decent league and upload all of their replays in a timely manner.
Quote from joshdifabio :It's because the nationalities are grabbed from the country highlights files. Each of these files contains a fixed number of the most recent highlights. Evidently, your nationality was once set to Somalia and as there are no active drivers for that nation your name still appears in its highlights file. Therefore, whenever the highlights files are read your nationality is set to Somalian. The same issue effects a handful of other people too.

Would it be possible to change it manually? I would appreciate being finnish again, to be honest.
Quote from JPeace :I like the "ranked 91st out of 236345376" thing, for both teams and drivers, but sometimes it is there and sometimes it isn't. I think it is a good little addition, but needs to be perminant.

The rank is always there for drivers & teams which have driven in at least 1 event. However, it's broken at the moment so the ranks are out of date.

Quote from nikopdr :Would it be possible to change it manually? I would appreciate being finnish again, to be honest.

No, sorry. If I set your nationality back to Finnish it will just get set back to Somalian within 10 minutes. Read my other post for an explanation.

On the next version of the site I'll likely write a fix, but tbh you shouldn't have set your nationality to something you thought would be amusing in the first place. It's actually a very disrespectful thing to do imo.
Surely it's more disrespectful to leave out some countries flags than for Niko to change his nationality?

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG