The online racing simulator
Quote from guybrush :like is said in the other topic, maby its good to merge the demo and the full game, but only allow demo users to join blackwood, and use the first 3 cars, thats gona be a pain to code im sure but it would be great for lots of new blackwood servers and prolly expanding the s2 playerbase becoz people get to watch the cars firsthand

It could be fun to have a demo and s2 compo, where you would have demo users in gtt and others in rb4 fxo

it may get cracked to allow demo users to use the S2 license cars
Quote :* Nag screens - Yep, the demo should be more annoying!

* 14 day time limit. - Bad idea, and would only be cracked anyway unless controlled online, and then what stops people making new accounts? Pointless

Both of these run hand in hand.. nag screens are far more useful to hackers than annoy legitimate users.. a perfect breakpoint already coded in, what more can you ask for?

Regards,

Ian
Quote from Spudster :it may get cracked to allow demo users to use the S2 license cars

nope since it would still have the same s2 username and status check, i dont think that would be cracked that easily
I'm starting to resent these "zomg restrict demo for better LFS!" threads. The thinking seems to follow these steps:
  1. Restrict demo
  2. ...
  3. Profit! (for devs)
Not every longtime demo user fits your stereotype.

I started playing LFS before S1 came out and I didn't buy a license until after S2 was out. Not because I was a cheapskate, nor that I thought the demo was "good enough". I waited because LFS wasn't good enough, not for me, not until a certain time. Has everyone forgotten the S1 setups with their wierd rollbars, super stiff suspensions and hyperinflated tyres? I saw LFS as a sim with a lot of potential but several glaring holes that needed to be filled. If the aero bug had been discovered earlier I would have probably waited even longer until the current patch was out.

If LFS had the restrictions suggested in this thread, such as a time limit or no online(and just where does anyone get off suggesting the latter for a demo of an online racing sim?illepall) I would have probably forgotten LFS long ago and would now be playing (and paying for)rFactor or Netkar Pro. All most of these restrictions would do is kill the online demo scene, leaving new prospective buyers no one with whom to have quick pickup races online, making it nigh impossible to give the software a proper test. Unless one of the majestic S2 users deigns to come down from their lofty mountain and give the poor bastard a race at a set time. How would that be any better of an incentive to purchase a license?
Quote from cannonfodder :I'm starting to resent these "zomg restrict demo for better LFS!" The thinking seems to follow these steps:
  1. Restrict demo
  2. ...
  3. Profit! (for devs)
Not every longtime demo user fits your stereotype.

I started playing LFS before S1 came out and I didn't buy a license until after S2 was out. Not because I was a cheapskate, nor that I thought the demo was "good enough". I waited because LFS wasn't good enough, not for me, not until a certain time. Has everyone forgotten the S1 setups with their wierd rollbars, super stiff suspensions and hyperinflated tyres? I saw LFS as a sim with a lot of potential but several glaring holes that needed to be filled. If the aero bug had been discovered earlier I would have probably waited even longer until the current patch was out.

If LFS had the restrictions suggested in this thread, such as a time limit or no online(and just where does anyone get off suggesting the latter for a demo of an online racing sim?illepall) I would have probably forgotten LFS long ago and would now be playing (and paying for)rFactor or Netkar Pro. All most of these restrictions would do is kill the online demo scene, leaving new prospective buyers no one with whom to have quick pickup races online, making it nigh impossible to give the software a proper test. Unless one of the majestic S2 users deigns to come down from their lofty mountain and give the poor bastard a race at a set time. How would that be any better of an incentive to purchase a license?

:iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree:
Quote from cannonfodder :I'm starting to resent these "zomg restrict demo for better LFS!" threads.

[ snip ]

One word sums it and the people wanting it up quite easily: selfishness.

But the funny part is is that the devs will probably _never_ change it. It's worked for a long time, they're obviously happy with the demo:licensed ratio and are far from selfish thinking.. and worse, yet again we have the situation much similar to the rabid fanboys that lurk here, it affects _no one_ here, whether the demo was removed or opened up as open-source.. and anyone then screaming "I paid my £24!!!!!!111111one" really needs to re-look at the world and how people fit into it.

Regards,

Ian
To be honest, I'd rather see the time spent to rework the current license system so an S1 license is not completely useless, rather then modifying how the demo works. In the end, it's the devs decision, and actually I doubt that anything in that regard is going to change, seeing as Scawen has enough to do for S2 final and S3.

PS: I already pre-paid S3 so all your opinions are negligible anyways
^^^ If you don't understand that this was sarcasm then get off the internet, now!
#58 - SamH
We just discussed all this "the demo has too much/little" stuff in its own thread a couple of weeks ago.

ON topic:
I'd love to see a dumb client that was able to hook into InSim and watch live races. I believe this is actually planned, though part of my belief is a leap from a comment Vykos (the man with the finger on the Dev's pulse) said about "LFSTV". As a dumb client, with no gaming hook at all, it would bridge the gap of visibility between Demo and S2. It would be a means by which full-on league races could have actual spectators, rather than just the ones in the race. LFS would become a genuine online spectator sport. I'd tune in to watch league races!

The LFSTV module could be a separate, InSim-only EXE in the LFS directory, which uses the existing DDS files etc for visual content, but doesn't have any of the "playability" built in. I don't know much about programming, but I'd assume this would be an "economical" way of building in LFSTV and making S2 content visible without compromising the security of the main application.

On Becky's point (I agree totally with what you say about Demo content being Dev-only for consideration); without LFSTV and being limited to WMVs and MPEGs to see content, I WAS bowled over when I downloaded one of the videos someone had created. I've looked for it again since, and haven't yet found it. It was just an FXR cockpit view (centre, I think, not driver view), where the driver came out of the pits on Blackwood, drove 2 laps, overtook an FZR and crossed the finish line. Just a couple of minutes of video, and LFS had me in its pocket. I'd driven Demo for a bit already, and was definitely on the path to buying it, but that video probably sealed it and effectively FORCED the S2 decision.

So.. yes, I agree.. but at the same time, in retrospect I must have been fairly determined to find out if S2 was for me, if I was going to seek out and download a big WMV/MPEG prospectively. If S2 had been visible to me, but out of reach without a great big download, I would have bought S2 the day I downloaded Demo.
I don't have a credit card, too
Me neither...
#61 - joen
Not having a credit card didn't stop me from getting a license either
You can use paypal or moneybookers to buy a license so what's the problem?
I've always been one to support free, trial products.

Downloading music has always and will always be a part of my regime. I have come across so many good bands via the internet that i would otherwise have never heard of. What happens when i find a band that is great and i enjoy listening to? I buy the CD (for the tangable product and self satisfaction of knowing i've done the right thing). I'm sure a few of you are saying "yeah right, sure you do" and that's your free will to judge me on that aspect, but i speak only truth.

Much the same with LFS. After 2 or 3 months of playing the demo online, i am now looking to upgrade to a S2 licence, pending a few purchase options. I am by no means a "cheapskate" but i do like to get the best deal available, as any bloodlined salesman would do.

Now, that being said, if the XFG was the only car available, and the demo was a 15 day trial, there is no way i would be considering buying the full version for 60 bucks. I hated the game when i first started playing because i spun the XRT out every corner. Then as time progressed and i got used to the game and started mingling with a few other demo racers, i became aware that this was quite a good game! If the options in the demo were halved, i wouldn't have found as much enjoyment out of the game and would not be about to fork over money to buy the full version.

I must add, the changability of the game is the thing that hooked me. Being able to make your own skins, edit sounds, edit almost anything the way you want it to be is awesome. LFStweak really bumped the urge to get the full game (even though tweak only works with demo cars, i hear there is drag racing afoot!!! )

I may be a small minority, but that's just me.
Quote from Shinanigans :Much the same with LFS. After 2 or 3 months of playing the demo online, i am now looking to upgrade to a S2 licence, pending a few purchase options. I am by no means a "cheapskate" but i do like to get the best deal available, as any bloodlined salesman would do.

Hey, 2-3 months are really okay, the people dubbed as cheapstakes are the ones who already play the demo for years.
#64 - USF
I bought the game, because I am really interested in simulation games. Even if LFS has some problems left (I don't like bumpdrifting at 350km/h e.g.), it is still very good. What I don't like is that people who buy the game get restricted more than people who haven't, pointing towards the lan-ip-limitations.

People who only keep playing the demo might have fun with it and don't see any reason for buying the full version. You get your cars and some tracks in the demo but you dont see what you are going to miss. It would be good to show them and let them try.
#65 - SamH
Why do we HAVE to dub ANYONE ANYTHING??

The demo exists. It was GIVEN to the WORLD by the Devs. It was given AS IS, with NO limitations on duration, and with 4 Blackwood configurations and 3 cars. And (dammit!!!!) it's THEIRS TO GIVE! NOT anybody else's!

Nor is it for anyone else to demand, suggest, imply, or encourage any CHANGE in it. That's bloody cheeky!!

As for USING it.. if you don't LIKE that demo users USE the demo and don't BUY it... WTF!?

I have to TRY and end this post with something positive, because the more crap like this that I read the more irritated I get with the mealy-mouthed and mean-spirited attitudes of people who, having PAID their money, seem absolutely HELL BENT on looking DOWN on anyone who might.. JUST MIGHT.. be getting SOMEthing for NOTHING.. so..

Positive!.. I suggest everyone who is licenced, FORGET the demo! Meet and greet the guys who did as YOU did, and convert from demo to S2, but for crying out loud STOP being so ruddy condescending to those who don't, or HAVEN'T YET, or even NEVER BLOODY WILL!!! SO WHAT!?!?

GIVE it a rest already, FFS!
I forgot to mention.... Why not record some demos of the full game with fraps and post them up to show people?

I make game movies all the time and it's really simple to do... Will post up a few movies in the LFS movie thread.
Quote from SamH :GIVE it a rest already, FFS!

Yes indeed illepall
Chill pill anyone?
Quote from Shinanigans :I forgot to mention.... Why not record some demos of the full game with fraps and post them up to show people?

I make game movies all the time and it's really simple to do... Will post up a few movies in the LFS movie thread.

There are already COUNTLESS movies folks have done in S2. They are posted in the movie section here on the OFFICIAL LFS forum and at the Movies Pit, which is stickied in the movie section here on the forum. If you can't get an idea of what S2 is like from the movies listed below, you'll never get it.

A small list of excellent S2 movies
Fear
Just_Racing
Life as a LFS Racer
oelfsm
OWRL.new Season
slowmotion_april.update
slowmotion_bf1
And one by Tristan from a while back that I can't remember/don't have on harddrive

My personal favorites are Teh Carl movies. Search in the forum for "Teh Carl", download them all, and enjoy some entertainment.

PS, SamH, excellent. You mimic my thoughts very well
I've been playing with just the demo for years - if it'd been time restricted I would've either given up totally or been forced to crack it. I only recently decided to get the s2 license so those days are over, but still...
We have food to buy and bills to pay, and I don't think the electricity company would accept "I had to get a license because my demo expired" as a good excuse

So here's the compromise:
1. Leave current demo content as is - it's only a fraction of what's available in the full version anyway. It gives more casual players time to get to grips with the system(s) and people like myself time to get the money ready.

2. Temporarily unlock other tracks and cars (maybe not all of them, but another couple) by way of the tests. Complete some tests (maybe with an average ability rating over 50%) and you get one track/car. Complete some more (with a higher rating) and you get another.
A couple of cars to show the difference between the crap demo cars and (for example) the Sauber. Once unlocked they are available for use (single player only) for 14 days.

That way people get to see a tiny example of the other stuff available, but then just as they're realising how great it is it gets taken away again. Then they go back to the demo content and realise what they're missing.

It doesn't technically force you to upgrade, but the psychological effect of losing what you've earned might be enough to decide those people still sitting on the fence

I do also like the idea of being able to watch licensed replays with the demo client, but that's not such a big deal for me - I would download movies if I wanted to see other people racing
#70 - SamH
You won't get any sympathy for suggesting you'd be "forced" to crack LFS from me or anyone else around here, I don't imagine. You're not forced to do anything.

If you're not going to buy LFS, then you're not going to buy LFS. Simple. No need to explain it, or in any way justify it. Just enjoy what you have and give a big thumbs up to the developers of LFS for giving it freely.

And don't look a gift horse.

[EDIT] to clarify for Dajmin that there IS no compromise. It's not actually under negotiation.
#71 - SamH
Quote from mrodgers :PS, SamH, excellent. You mimic my thoughts very well

Perhaps I came across ratty, I dunno. Well.. yeah, reading my post again, I'm quite sure I did . I stand by the content tho. Apologies if anyone felt offended or affronted.
#72 - SamH
EEEEK@attachment!!!

Just Racing is an epic. I can watch that all night
Attached images
lifelfsuser.gif
whats with the sudden need for the demo guys to have to buy the game.
Quote from lalathegreat :whats with the sudden need for the demo guys to have to buy the game.

*COUGH*BF1*COUGH*

also, you get to use all the cars, unless you crack the game which is a naughty thing and shouldnt be done!!!!!!
Quote from lalathegreat :whats with the sudden need for the demo guys to have to buy the game.

LOL, what a stupid question.

24 man servers? Good, clean online racing? More fun? More honest?

It's a good thing, perhaps you should follow suit.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG