The online racing simulator
Replace GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB.
(20 posts, started )
Hi, there.

My graphic card which is GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB had died.
My system is Matrox TripleHead2Go with 3 19" screens & e7200 cpu.
So I would like to buy a graphic card but I don't know which one is good for me. Only one option is all the option should be max out with consist 60 frames.
Please help me which one should I buy because I have not looked for it for a while.

Thnaks.

Sorry for English.
Well if you want a Nvidia then there are GTS250, GTX260 which are quite cheap for the performance,

I dont know any good ATi cards so will let someone else post them

What sort of budget are u on?
#3 - Tisty
sorry about the 8800GTX, it was a good gfx card !

What prices you want to buy a gfx ?
And what you prefert ? ATI or nVidia ?
Quote from lukelfs :Well if you want a Nvidia then there are GTS250, GTX260 which are quite cheap for the performance,

I dont know any good ATi cards so will let someone else post them

What sort of budget are u on?

Budget should be $100~$250.

Thank you for fast replying.
Quote from Tisty : sorry about the 8800GTX, it was a good gfx card !

What prices you want to buy a gfx ?
And what you prefert ? ATI or nVidia ?

I know right? 8800gtx was good handle my LFS 3 years.
I don't really care about brand.
Thanks.
Quote from coors68 :Are these noticeable different frame rate from 8800gtx?

For the GTX260 heres a small review, though this review is very old and the newest drivers should help performance

http://www.overclock.net/graph ... tx-280-vs-gtx-260-vs.html

it is about 20-30% faster I guess?

I'm sure that the motherboard is fine? Im not totally sure on this though,

Wait for someone else

Edit- I have read that, PCI 2.0 cards are backwards compatible with all version 1.0a PCIe slots, and almost all PCIe 1.0 slots.
Let's see.

At the moment, the best money to performance ratio that you can get for around 200-250$ is a pair of either HD4850s or GTS250s. However, these cards are getting rather difficult to find, and do not have the newer DX11 technologies (eyefinity and such).

That doesn't mean much to you, anyway, since your motherboard only has one PCI-E slot, so you're looking for a single card. From ATI, there is basically only one card in this 200-250$ price range, the HD5830. The 5850 is too expensive (as well as overprice at the moment). So from ATI, the 5830 is the obvious choice.

Nvidia hasn't got out a new card DX11 to compete with the 5830 yet, and if what they have out in the DX11 generations so far (the expensive GTX 470/480) are a signs of things to come, it probably wouldn't be good anyway (they both suffer from heating issues). The current Nvidia cards still on sale for about the same price are the GTX 260 and 275 (the 260 being around 200$, and the 275 around 250$). The GTX260 offers about the same performance as the 5830, but it will be louder, less power efficient, and doesn't come with the goodness of 5xxx series (DX11 support and eyefinity). The GTX275 has the same downsides, but is faster than the 5830.

So your list goes as such:

~250$: GTX275
~230$: HD5830
~200$: GTX260

My recommendation is the 5830, simply because of the bonuses you get from it being a newer card. The noise and power consumption reduction are good things, as well as eyefinity, which is definitely something you'd want to read about considering you have three monitors. Eyefinity would basically get you rid of the Maxtor thingy. Straight connection to three monitors from one graphics card. Here's my recommendation: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ ... aspx?Item=N82E16814102879

As to where these card stands compared to your 8800GTX, they're definitely above, by a reasonable margin.
Eyefinity.

Enough said, alot easier to set-up, and like boosterfire said, it's a new card, so there will be more support as in drivers for longer, less power usage, and DX11 (if you care).
I think you must buy the GTX260.
Cause a better graphic card (5850, GTX 280..) have much power for your CPU. (i think)
With the GTX 260 you can have got a good torque with the E7200.
Thank you for your help.
I placed order HD5830 finally.
I hope that it will be good working for a while.
Thanks guys.
Quote from anttt69 :If you'd gone for this one you'd still have $100+ in your pocket.

Your point being? Spend less and get less?
No, spend wisely, have money left over for other things.
Quote from anttt69 :No, spend wisely, have money left over for other things.

Depends what your priorities are. If you have a high interest in video games or computers in general, spending money on that is an obvious choice, the same way you'll spend more money on whatever interest it is that you have.

(20 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG