The online racing simulator
Timing improvement
(60 posts, started )
wow...just realised how old this damn thread is lol
Better for drag / qual / hotlapping. +1
Quote from the_angry_angel :Thousandths are measured (see the InSim thousandth's variable), but not displayed.

Am I missing something, because I can't find this ... I did a string search for thousandths in the InSim.txt file, and could not find anything. Was it removed?

Quote from StewartFisher :Incidentally, the timing system in F1 is accurate to at least 10,000ths of a second because that's what they use for the speed trap figures...they choose to display only 3 decimal places for timing.

Please cite your source for that, I find it very interesting.

Quote from Bob Smith :While I believe that is accurate TAA, I thought the car is only moved forward on the external loop, while the suspension, forces and tyre physics and done on the inner loop? That's the impression I got.

Quote from the_angry_angel :To clarify, as far as we are aware, the external engine loop runs at 100Hz, but the internal loop runs at 2KHz. I'd be happy for Scawen to correct me, but thats what hes been quoted as saying at RSC. And yes, again, LFS does record thousandth's but its not displayed to the user. The thousandth's information is obtainable through InSim, so it cant just be making it up.

I remember him saying this as well and again, if there is a way to get access to the thousandths, I'd be very interested.

Quote from Zen321 :This thread is the most bumped thread ever :
2005-2006-2007-2008

And now 2010.
A bit more discussion on thousandths starting here.

Quote from the_angry_angel :Thousandths are measured (see the InSim thousandth's variable), but not displayed.

Well, times reported in InSim have the scope for providing thousandths precision, but everything I've seen coming directly from InSim has a 0 value for the thousandths. It seems to me it's more of a placeholder for moving to thousandths in the future.
If I'd have to guess, it'd be a no. I linked that because it used to be in the insim.txt. Anyhow, since timing is now in ms, all that's left to be done is for the server & client to communicate the digit On a tangent, ever driven a hotlap with the exact time as a benchmark? There I was thinking I'd got the time, but upon uploading I was still +0.003 away..
Quote from NotAnIllusion :If I'd have to guess, it'd be a no. I linked that because it used to be in the insim.txt. Anyhow, since timing is now in ms, all that's left to be done is for the server & client to communicate the digit On a tangent, ever driven a hotlap with the exact time as a benchmark? There I was thinking I'd got the time, but upon uploading I was still +0.003 away..

I guess that's just a rounding error. 103% of x.x10 = y.yy3.
Quote from joshdifabio :I guess that's just a rounding error. 103% of x.x10 = y.yy3.

Yep, that's how I've seen it explained before. I'm open to being told I'm wrong (as long as proof is provided) but I believe LFS has never provided thousandth precision.
Quote from amp88 :I believe LFS has never provided thousandth precision.

If that's right I won't feel like such a half whit.

Timing improvement
(60 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG