The online racing simulator
Timing improvement
(60 posts, started )
#1 - HASTA
Timing improvement
1/1000 of a second must be calculated in the game.

Times like 1.31.984 must be visible.
they are arnt they?
Nope. Currently they are only the hundredth - you must have seen Chris!

Do you know why Hasta? It's because the physics engine runs at 100Hz. But your avatar leads me to think that you wouldn't have realised that.

And why MUST they been calculated? Will it make any difference to the racing?
Quote from tristancliffe :Do you know why Hasta? It's because the physics engine runs at 100Hz. But your avatar leads me to think that you wouldn't have realised that.

Your point makes logical sense, but the physics engine in GPL runs at 288Hz and it records times down to 1000th of a second...does that mean the 0.00x figure in GPL is a fudge?
BTW, in-game GPL only displays 100ths of a second, you have to look at the stored lap times to find 1000ths.

I'd quite like to see 1000ths of a second introduced, if only because it's fairly standard across high-level motorsport. Incidentally, the timing system in F1 is accurate to at least 10,000ths of a second because that's what they use for the speed trap figures...they choose to display only 3 decimal places for timing.
I would welcome this, but its not the big issue for meh.
#6 - HASTA
Quote from tristancliffe : But your avatar leads me to think that you wouldn't have realised that.

I didn't understand this, what is the connection of this thread with my avatar???
You probably need to be here a while to get that one.
#8 - HASTA
Quote from Bob Smith :You probably need to be here a while to get that one.

I'm here for one and a half year. I got what he's trying to say with this simple joke, but i didnt understand why such a meanless connection between NOS and Live for Speed. As a "SIM RACING" team, NOS Racing Team is waiting for an apologize from Tristan.
You'll be waiting a loooooooooooooong time for an apology from me!!!! For starters I have done nothing wrong. And as you didn't understand me, you can't prove that I did do anything wrong either.

As it is Nitrous Oxide (NOS is a trademark of one particular firm, and by using their logo you might run into difficulties, especially if you ever managed to get sponsership, or make money from it) is solely used by poor drag racers (poor in terms of money, who can't afford to go Top Fuelling :P), and spotty 17 years olds with Vauxhall Novas, who have a (combined, i.e. all of them in the world ever) IQ of 17.3.

Whether or not you fall into that category I cannot say. But your avatar, and the impressions one gains from it (e.g. you think I'm an effeminate softy from my avatar) led me to the conclusion that you didn't have the gumption to link 100Hz to 0.01 timing intervals (although I may have been proven wrong on that point, case pending).

I would apologise, but by NOT understanding, and then demanding an apology despite not understanding you have confirmed by initial opinion. If you're lucky I'll get Ian H to come and have his say as well, as he can be, sometimes, even more blunt than me.

Welcome to LFS. Where everyone is appreciated. Unless they rice, cheat or swear online. Or use Nos. Or complain about tyre wear while drifting. Or suggestion blantently obvious features that they MUST realise someone will have suggested 3 years ago, and every week since. And yet, despite this, I still have good relations with many many LFSers.

So there... *sticks tongue out, and walks off*
Thousandths are measured (see the InSim thousandth's variable), but not displayed.

Edit:
:lovies: Tristan
1- Vmax is a motorcycle brand owned by Yamaha.
2- I never thought about this hz thing, i forgot about it, thanks for your help.
3- Come to see our demo server sometimes to learn NOS Racing Team, or check our website and our forum.
4- We never ever ever drift!!! NOS Racing Team is a BL1 XFG nutters team.
5- I just asked why LFS are not using 1/1000 of a second. You gave the answer by "It's because the physics engine runs at 100Hz."
6- Please speak wisely and to the point, thanks.
Yes Vmax is a brand owned by Yamaha. But vMax (or more accurately V<subscript>max, but we can't do this on forums/LFSW/ingame) is a generic physics term for Maximum Velocity (although we are called Velocity Maximum Simulation Racing, but I'm not 100% sure why). If your going to play smart, you'll have to research vMax properly (the term, not the team) first :P

I never said YOU drift, it's just the impression NOS gives.
I have no desire to know about demo teams. As far as I'm concerned LFS is very very cheap, and as such anyone committed enough to form/join a team should just pay for it.
I do speak wisely(ish, and of course imho), and I got to the point but ensured accuracy at all times.
To clarify, as far as we are aware, the external engine loop runs at 100Hz, but the internal loop runs at 2KHz. I'd be happy for Scawen to correct me, but thats what hes been quoted as saying at RSC. And yes, again, LFS does record thousandth's but its not displayed to the user. The thousandth's information is obtainable through InSim, so it cant just be making it up.
While I believe that is accurate TAA, I thought the car is only moved forward on the external loop, while the suspension, forces and tyre physics and done on the inner loop? That's the impression I got.
The way I think it happens is that the inner loop also moves the vehicle, as well as doing sampling. But the bounding box sanity checking (i.e. intersection checking) only happens in the outer loop

The evidence for this is that we can get "inside" things and then pop back out as the game realises you shouldnt be there. Assuming Scawen uses this method, you get the accuracy of thousandths!
Quote from the_angry_angel :The way I think it happens is that the inner loop also moves the vehicle, as well as doing sampling. But the bounding box sanity checking (i.e. intersection checking) only happens in the outer loop

thats plausable, because collision detection eats more cpu time then rigid body simulation
Exactly Tux :up:
where is my cookie!
You can have a cookie on Oct 22nd
Over there -------->

Edit: Damn Mr Angel keeps beating me...
<laugh type="evil">hohoho</laugh>

Cookies for all on Oct 22nd!
lol
Quote from the_angry_angel :And yes, again, LFS does record thousandth's but its not displayed to the user. The thousandth's information is obtainable through InSim, so it cant just be making it up.

So why is the thousandth's byte always zero?
Yay. I'll buy a box of cookies to bring with me just incase, for I am the cookie monster in disguise.

What was the topic again?
bob, crumble them up and throw them on track, then u will see some crashing action

Timing improvement
(60 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG