The online racing simulator
Bleedin' roads
(41 posts, started )
#26 - Jakg
Quote from mrodgers :I can't believe you sliced a tire on a little dip in the road such as that, especially since you would have been turning onto that road, thus wouldn't be flying 100 mph.

X-Type with nice low profile tyres, a bit of load on the sidewall, sharp edge to the hole, it can happen...
Quote from Bob Smith :Right well I've taken a few photos next to a foot long ruler, so the size, depth, and location of the pothole is unmistakeable.

you forgot to measure the volume.
Quote from Bob Smith :As for my flat tyre event, I was wondering, is it possible the tyre managed to stay airtight after the pothole, but then opened up during the hardish left turn at the roundabout, as the sidewalls began to stretch and tuck under?

Could it be possible the tyre was damaged but remained intact until the cornering forces tore it apart? Considering it is a long gash i'm wondering if rather than being punctured the tyre was structurally damanged and then simply ripped once the forces of cornering where exerted onto the tyre wall?

I saw worse pot holes in Northampton after the recent snow, but they where patched up within a week. You can't hold the council liable simply because a pothole happened, only for failing to deal with it once it has.

tbh I don't see the point. All the councils are really broke at the moment with substantial council tax rises coming in after the election. They're working on inadequate budgets trying to fulfill all their obligation and are ludicrously overstretched. The last thing they need is more paperwork just so you can get a new Goodyear on your motor.
Attached images
20563.jpg
20585.jpg
20859.JPG
-
(brandons48) DELETED by brandons48
Quote from brandons48 :That last one is insane! What the hell are the roads built on?

I think I'd better not know that...

This spring there were about two weeks of weather with temperature jumps from -5 to +5 C which literally tore apart roads. Taking into account that roads themselves are made of crap and small part of asphalt, the situation with roads is a disaster in here.

Split tire is a luck if you are catching a pothole in here. Cracked rim, or bent suspension is not something unusual in here.

I'll be changing most of the suspension parts as soon as the roads will be patched up a bit.
Yeah maybe we don't have it so bad.

mrodgers - Jakg hit the nail on the head, but I was coming across the road, not cornering, so I was doing the 30mph limit. A big wide pothole I wouldn't mind so much, it was the sharp edge that got me. Although Becky's suggestion might have some merit. I'm usually too worrying about how the things work when they're new, let alone when they're damaged.

[RF]-art555 - are they a recent photos? Is that the typical sort of age of cars you have over there?

At least I've got my new tyres ready and waiting to go on tomorrow morning: http://bmp.thefloatingwidget.n ... /Tyres%20to%20go%20on.JPG
And I've had a good stab at cleaning up my wheel while it's off the car. Lots of stuck on dirt though that won't shift easily and I don't want to scratch the wheel(s) up getting it off: http://bmp.thefloatingwidget.n ... yre%20to%20come%20off.JPG (doesn't really show up in the photo though)
Quote from Becky Rose :I saw worse pot holes in Northampton after the recent snow, but they where patched up within a week. You can't hold the council liable simply because a pothole happened, only for failing to deal with it once it has.

Back roads are a horror show. I was driving through the 'shire today ! And then you hit speed humps and that's like one big slap in the face! Pothole we can't fix... but we could afford this speed bump just to make your life even worse.

The truth is councils and governments are hopelessly inefficient. The amount of waste is almost offensive and it's truly shocking and you lot are just going to have to deal with these problems for the years to come. It's not going to get any better, if anything it's going to get much much much worse. If you think the recession is 'over' you'll find it's only just started.

Of course you will be forced to drive crappy cars not designed for these types of roads because you've been taxed out of the market.. so double whammy,
Quote from Bob Smith :
[RF]-art555 - are they a recent photos? Is that the typical sort of age of cars you have over there?

Nah, thats just random cars. Although there are quite a lot of cars like that in here (even older, GAZ 21 for example) there quite a lot of very fresh cars in here. I see brand new models of cars not that later from it's presentetions at some auto show

The LADA 2109 you see on the last pic is still in production by the way...
Incidentally, as of this morning, pot hole has been filled.
Quote from [RF]-art555 :
These are typical roads of my city

Do random bits of scrap metal constitute foundations in Ukraine?

On the subject of Ukraine, just found this... fail
Quote from Bob Smith :Close ups:
http://bmp.thefloatingwidget.n ... s/Pothole%20-%20above.JPG
http://bmp.thefloatingwidget.n ... le%20-%20with%20ruler.JPG
http://bmp.thefloatingwidget.n ... s/Pothole%20-%20depth.JPG

Show location (only useful if you're local):
http://bmp.thefloatingwidget.n ... le%20-%20from%20north.JPG
http://bmp.thefloatingwidget.n ... le%20-%20from%20south.JPG

Jeez, that's not much of a pot hole. There's a worse one on Sandyford Road which wallops my rear suspension every morning; and a recent trip up the A1 in the early morning for some dawn photography of the Northumberland coast had an "oh shit" moment when I hit part of the A1 beyond Alnwick at 80mph where the road could be best described as "unsurfaced". Another outing with the camera to Derwent Reservoir (which turned out to be a wasted trip anyway) found me on B-roads where it was perfectly safe to travel a lot faster were it not for the fact that my eyeballs were almost being shaken out of my skull.

It feels to me as though the country's entire road network needs resurfacing, but it's never going to happen while councils are spending so much of our cash on executive salaries, outreach workers, diversity officers, propaganda etc. Not to mention the council's maintenance, surfacing, and gardening crews I see are always doing sweet f.a., or driving as slowly as possible from one job to the next.
Quote from STROBE :Jeez, that's not much of a pot hole.

I never said it was huge. Still knacked my tyre though, didn't it?
I've had a thought. Listening to these Autoglass adverts, "Jemimah went over a pothole and CRACK, the chip turned into a great big smash. She had to pay £100 pounds, etc."

Do the government need to take responsibility for that or is it just for tyres? What about suspension damage, etc?
Quote from JO53PHS :Do random bits of scrap metal constitute foundations in Ukraine?

On the subject of Ukraine, just found this... fail

Manchester isn't far off that prize. Links.
Quote from piggy501 :I've had a thought. Listening to these Autoglass adverts, "Jemimah went over a pothole and CRACK, the chip turned into a great big smash. She had to pay £100 pounds, etc."

You guys have that same exact commercial too?

Although, that did happen to me, exactly how the commercial went. Had a chip, hit a pothole, and CRACK.... I never had the chip fixed because the windshield was so pitted that it needed replaced anyways. Insurance wouldn't cover just a badly pitted windshield, but it did cover a cracked windshield. So, had the windshield replaced when it cracked.

Also, I did have the glass company (it's SafeLite Auto over here with that commercial) fix a chip on my wife's car through my insurance. After they repaired the chip with their "patented resin", I couldn't see the chip at all.
Quote from mrodgers :You guys have that same exact commercial too?

Although, that did happen to me, exactly how the commercial went. Had a chip, hit a pothole, and CRACK.... I never had the chip fixed because the windshield was so pitted that it needed replaced anyways. Insurance wouldn't cover just a badly pitted windshield, but it did cover a cracked windshield. So, had the windshield replaced when it cracked.

Also, I did have the glass company (it's SafeLite Auto over here with that commercial) fix a chip on my wife's car through my insurance. After they repaired the chip with their "patented resin", I couldn't see the chip at all.

This one?

Bleedin' roads
(41 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG