The online racing simulator
Quote from duke_toaster :For the credits and that, why should I have to do the stupid tests (that don't have anything to with actual driving against opponents) to drive what I have paid good money for

I think the thoght is that it would be a server-side option.
#27 - p1u
Quote from wheel4hummer :I think the thoght is that it would be a server-side option.

Exactly. All players who finished the training, can join Professional servers.

You just learn basics from the game.. just like in real life when you start driving your license :>
Do this and im moving to RFactor. The only reason i havent done all the tests is because the AI are thick. Im up to the off rad test where you race the cars and its difficult to get to 1st place without touching another car.

Bad idea, itll disencourage new players to buy the game too. Players should be able to learn off real players, not the thickest AI ive ever came across, and if servers dont like new players then kick them. I dont mind new players coming onto our server when its up, as long as they arnt idiots that wreck.
Quote :but it may still sort out the real beginners that drive PB's of 1:07 and so on..

Most newbies drive very considerately and take great pains not to annoy anyone or cause problems.

The proportion of jerks who are new compared to the proportion of 'veterans' is in favour of newbies because newbies do not try to over drive as often, in my opinion.

We all make mistakes, and i've made some big ones. I've done some dirty moves, and i've tried good moves that turned bad. I've been on the receiving end of the same things, but on the whole I think I respect the rules of racing - and I have a good grasp on what those rules are.

On the other hand there is a driver in one league I race in who thinks it's perfectly ok to weave a little to disrupt slipstream, and another who thinks it's perfectly ok to carry on racing when rejoining the track even though he hasn't got back to race line/speed yet, because he's back on the track and not moving sideways, sadly these punks have a habbit of driving faster than I do :/

Thankfuly all is not lost, because this is sadly all too realistic because in real racing the same things happen - perhaps with even more regularity. I can recall being taken out intentionally by a back marker when I was side by side with the soon to be race leader two laps from the end of an endurance race (the guy who went on to win was the then stig Perry McCarthy) the guy who took me out came up to me in the pits and said, "that was fun wasnt it!?". If he wasn't three times my size...
Agreed with Stellios. No way that I would ever finish all the lessons, too boring. I've probably done like 3 or 4 of them, and I don't crash everyone in T1 every time I'm racing online.
so... ur saying if it was mandatory, you would quit lfs?
Quote from Gabkicks :so... ur saying if it was mandatory, you would quit lfs?

LFS is for online play, if you cant get online then whats the point in playing. Ive played LFS for years, well before S1 was available, so if a few years experience isnt good enough then the games not worth bothering with TBH.

I quit Americas Army for the same reason.

Honestly though, how many people here have actually completed ALL of the training lessons.
i was just about to mention america's army . i love that game and i've been playing it for years.

lfs is a simulation of sorts as well and the training in america's army actually does help. if you cant pass the aa training easily you'll get eaten alive online.

i just dont think it would turn off that many people. it might discourage a few wreckers and people who dont have the time to get good at a sim like lfs.

i havent completed all the training but i wouldnt mind doing it... it would only take a few minutes. i've already spent years playing lfs so an hour to do some easy training missions is nothing to me
Quote from Gabkicks :if you cant pass the aa training easily you'll get eaten alive online.

I dont it all, then got the what i think was the final spec ops mission (the one where you have to crawl around and not get detected). Id get 30 mins into it and get spotted. After a few days trying to do it i gave up.
The day tests against AI are needed to unlock cars is the day I start an OSR branch in GPL and/or rF and driver for that instead of in LFS.
u guys are acting like its something incredibly hard. i can pass all of the ai before the 1st turn most of the time
Quote from Gabkicks :u guys are acting like its something incredibly hard. i can pass all of the ai before the 1st turn most of the time

So can i, but in the training if you as much as touch the car its a fail. And do you know how many traing sessions there are? Ive spent hours so far and im only onto the GT Turbo

EDIT - Just checked and the training status doesnt get saved on LFSW, great. Ive formatted my PC and now its back to the start.
Quote from Gabkicks :u guys are acting like its something incredibly hard. i can pass all of the ai before the 1st turn most of the time

It's just that the artificial UNintelligence, if they were human drivers, would be banned from every single server for wrecking. It's that bad: the AI's would be found exclusively on oval junkies.

Besides, it's not about speed, it's about the ability to follow blue and yellow flags and not wrecking
Quote from duke_toaster :Besides, it's not about speed, it's about the ability to follow blue and yellow flags and not wrecking

Yup. Better training sessions would be having an AI car passing you and you needing to back off going into a corner and letting him by rather than just training on passing cars that have no idea you are there without touching them.

Or, driving side by side in consecutive corners with the AI car while leaving him room. Racing isn't all passing everyone ahead of you. It is a give and take out on the track. You take when you can, but have to give when you need to.
#40 - nubz
I agree
Like in America's Army, Start a serious point system, More points you have the better the servers they can join which would be serious racers or racers like themselfs, and fliped so good racers can't race against newbies. Hitting someone cost X amount of points winning, clean passing,
and use point systems like in professional racing.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG