The online racing simulator
World Superbike 2009
(68 posts, started )
Phew, no spoilers yet, I have the superpole on Sky+ and am planning on watching it shortly!!!!
Watching Superpole again on Eurosport tonight and the race tommorow! Can't wait.
A great result for Smrz, I think he is going to exceed expectations this year, and the Aprilia is doing unbeliveably well for a new bike!!!!.

Also, that new R1 was the modified firing order sounds amazing!!!!!
The road going R1 sounds just as fabulous in my opinion. Standard pipes are a bit iffy but swap for some Akrapovic slipons and away you go.
Nah, I personally don't like the 4 cylinder scream, I prefer the deep, booming sound of a twin, but the new 3-1 firing order of the R1 has the booming sound of a twin, with the free revving of a 4, and it sounds awesome.
I'm talking about the 09 R1. It's very burbly and comparable to a V-twin IMO.

I just wet my pants
They were talking about the firing order on eurosport, how the race bikes usually fire differently from the road going counterpart, but this time the firing order was passed down from the road going bike iirc.
Indeed, I remember a bike, I think it was a Rob Mac R1 in BSB, that was outlawwed because it had a different firing order to the road bike.
Yes, the bike they mentioned was an old even firing order, flat-plane crankshaft R1 that had its ignition and camshafts rephased to fire 2 cylinders at once, making it more akin to a parallel twin with a 180 degree crank (180-540 firing order). No special crankshaft requred, except maybe for some extra strengthening.

AFAIK this kind of firing order change was not a common practice outside of MotoGP.
Indeed, the new R1 firing order apes the M1 MotoGP bike, whatever, it sounds amazing, and it seems to be doing the bizz with Spies under him.

That said, I am in love with the Aprilia!!!!
Quote from danowat :Indeed, the new R1 firing order apes the M1 MotoGP bike, whatever, it sounds amazing, and it seems to be doing the bizz with Spies under him.

That said, I am in love with the Aprilia!!!!

Yeah the RSV4 is a great looking bike. But then Aprilias always have been IMO.

I was driving behind one of those new R1s this weekend with Akropovic cans, (maybe even full system). I have to say it sounded really sweet.

The so-called "Big Bang" engine in racing isn't anything new though. Honda were doing it back in '92 in the 500c 2-Stroke days.
Incase anyone missed the race, it's on Eurosport 1 in about 25 minutes.
Good races. Shame they had to focus on the front 3 so much for SBK race 2, seems like there was a lot more action slightly further down the order.
There is a conspicuous absence (as always) of onboard camera footage, which is a real shame.

WSS was cracking though, great race from lights to flag.
Quote from sinbad :Good races. Shame they had to focus on the front 3 so much for SBK race 2, seems like there was a lot more action slightly further down the order.
There is a conspicuous absence (as always) of onboard camera footage, which is a real shame.

WSS was cracking though, great race from lights to flag.

MotoGP usually has quite a bit of that. I remember seeing an onboard from the tail cam of Casey Stoner flying around Misano (IIRC) in qualifying. The rate at which he gets that thing over on his knee is just incredible, and then the corner speed...
The superbikes do have worse coverage than MotoGP. Which is a shame because the races are really nice. The bikes are really tiny on the screen, and as said there isn't any onboard action which makes MotoGP so awesome to watch most of the time.

You could hear more noise I think, which is good!
I rather enjoyed watching the Race 1, 2 and especially the Supersports. Lovely.
#68 - wild

World Superbike 2009
(68 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG