The online racing simulator
World Superbike 2009
(68 posts, started )
World Superbike 2009 ***[SPOILERS]***
I am REALLY looking forward to this coming season of WSBK, and I think its going to be one of the best, and possibly closest run WSBK seasons for years.

Not only do we see the return of Aprilia (woot woot), but BMW are also on the scene now, and with Corser and Xaus could be very good indeed.

Also, its one of the largest grids in WSBK has ever had, the only thing that could mar this, is the reluctance of some euro based private teams not travelling to the far flung, exotic races because of money.

Roll on March 1st!!!!!!!
#2 - Bean0
Do you not still get the local wildcards handing the highly-paid works riders their asses on the far flung exotic races ?

Should still make for good racing for us specatators.
off-topic abit, but what channel is it going to be on in the UK (if any)
Quote from DevilDare :off-topic abit, but what channel is it going to be on in the UK (if any)

Eurosport have confirmed full coverage (Stocks and WSS too)
Quote from danowat :Eurosport have confirmed full coverage (Stocks and WSS too)

Aha, Thanks. Going to watch it
Spies for '09 WSB champ.

At first I wasn't a big fan of the Eurosport commentators for WSB but they've kinda grown on me.

Still pissed that Moody, Ryder, and Mamola won't be back for MotoGP.
I prefer the Eurosport comms to most others TBH.

As for Spies, we shall see, but there should certainly be some good in-team competition between him and Sykes.
Quote from danowat :I am REALLY looking forward to this coming season of WSBK, and I think its going to be one of the best, and possibly closest run WSBK seasons for years.

Not only do we see the return of Aprilia (woot woot), but BMW are also on the scene now, and with Corser and Xaus could be very good indeed.

Also, its one of the largest grids in WSBK has ever had, the only thing that could mar this, is the reluctance of some euro based private teams not travelling to the far flung, exotic races because of money.

Roll on March 1st!!!!!!!

I'm looking forward to it a great deal as well. Something's been missing without the WSB/BSB/GP. I've been reading in MCN about the progress on the BMW and I can say I have high expecations, although I think it'll be at least till mid-season before they start to win.

Will miss Bayliss, though, I think he retired, although in some ways, it'll be good. That means someone ELSE can win, like taking Loeb out of WRC.

Can't wait till Donnington, might go. Really sucks about Brands, though. Shame to lose such a bloody brilliant venue. There's always BSB, though.
Quote from Bean0 :Do you not still get the local wildcards handing the highly-paid works riders their asses on the far flung exotic races ?

Should still make for good racing for us specatators.

Don't forget that the locals usually have bikes that are down on power.
WSB is in a golden era imo. It's a shame that Bayliss is gone, although that rumour of a comeback race also featuring Valentino somebody persists, but the list of riders who will be competing for race wins or at least podiums is HUGE.

Haslam
Byrne
Sykes
Spies
Rea
Checa
Kiyonari
Xaus
Nakano
Corser
Kagayama
Haga
Fabrizio
Biaggi
Neukirchner
and others like Laconi and Roberts, Parkes and Muggers, Lavilla, Tommy Hill of course....... the list is long.

The race calendar is great too, they visit some excellent circuits. I'd say "who needs motogp?" except that that looks pretty good this year too, as does BSB despite the mass exodus of top riders
Quote from sinbad :WSB is in a golden era imo. It's a shame that Bayliss is gone, although that rumour of a comeback race also featuring Valentino somebody persists, but the list of riders who will be competing for race wins or at least podiums is HUGE.

Haslam
Byrne
Sykes
Spies
Rea
Checa
Kiyonari
Xaus
Nakano
Corser
Kagayama
Haga
Fabrizio
Biaggi
Neukirchner
and others like Laconi and Roberts, Parkes and Muggers, Lavilla, Tommy Hill of course....... the list is long.

The race calendar is great too, they visit some excellent circuits. I'd say "who needs motogp?" except that that looks pretty good this year too, as does BSB despite the mass exodus of top riders

Very good, but not quite golden era stuff. 2001-2002-2003 Bayliss/Edwards/Haga. I never cared for the foggy days tbh

2001 Laguna Haga WOW
2003 (i think) Imola edwards Vs Bayliss

I think they were the truly great years of WSB. After that MotoGP really has dominated in terms of perception and quality
If this tears WSBK isn't one of the best every, I'll eat my hat.

WSBK is going to blow MotoGP out of the water this year IMO.
Quote from danowat :If this tears WSBK isn't one of the best every, I'll eat my hat.

WSBK is going to blow MotoGP out of the water this year IMO.

It could do indeed. It has to be said that without Rossi MotoGP is nothing. He pretty much wrestled (from a UK perspective) MotoGP out of the doldrums and placed it firmly on the map.

I started watching WSBK again last year and I think it was Vallelunga with Haga and Bayliss! wow!
I disagree Intrepid, there's alot of midfield action. Sure, Rossi/Stoner kinda makes it worth watching (Laguna Seca anyone?), but don't forget the lesser known names.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :I disagree Intrepid, there's alot of midfield action. Sure, Rossi/Stoner kinda makes it worth watching (Laguna Seca anyone?), but don't forget the lesser known names.

Not talking about the racing as such, more about how MotoGP is percieved. Without Rossi MotoGP would be much lesser well known. The Doohan/Crivvleleleaaalle/Roberts Jnr era really were quiet days for 500c/MotoGP. Had Rossi not arrived, MotoGP would still be lingering on Eurosport (better coverage on eurosport btw) without anyone knowing about it.

No doubt in terms of bike racing 500cc/MotoGP has always been the very top, but Rossi IS MotoGP!
Quote from Intrepid :Not talking about the racing as such, more about how MotoGP is percieved. Without Rossi MotoGP would be much lesser well known. The Doohan/Crivvleleleaaalle/Roberts Jnr era really were quiet days for 500c/MotoGP. Had Rossi not arrived, MotoGP would still be lingering on Eurosport (better coverage on eurosport btw) without anyone knowing about it.

No doubt in terms of bike racing 500cc/MotoGP has always been the very top, but Rossi IS MotoGP!

He is THE megastar of motorcycle racing for sure, and has no doubt earned millions for a the industry as a whole. His name is probably almost as well known as Schumacher, or Beckham amongst non-fanatics, but within the sport of motorcycle racing few are anywhere close. I'd still watch motogp if he left, but if he went to WSBK- wow, he is, as you say, so "big" that WSBK would probably become the number one series. Such is the power he wields.

You're right about the early noughties too, lots of epic races (I'm glad I put "a golden era" rather than "the golden era"). It had definitely been a lull since and inclusive of the season in which Hodgson won in '03 (imo) but the last couple of years have been much better, last season was great - the next will be brilliant, I know it. Loads of new bikes, loads of great riders, a great 2 race format, great support races (Supersport 600s Portimao http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9afSABoTOL4), great venues.......perfect.
Qualification is done, in lew of Superpole tomorrow, personally, I am REALLY giddy about the first race, and the results of qualification only make me salivate at the prospect of a tasty season once again.

(P.S, anyone know how I can change the thread title to include "**SPOILERS**"?)

Its very nice to see Smrz on provisional pole, Haga was pretty much expected to by up there, well please for Haslam in 3rd, and stoked that the Aprilias are on the pace, must confess I am a bit suprised that the BMW's aren't faster, but they have time to improve.

1. Jakub Smrz CZE Guandalini Racing Ducati 1098R 1min 32.312s

2. Noriyuki Haga JPN Ducati Xerox 1098R 1min 32.569s

3. Leon Haslam GBR Stiggy Motorsport Honda CBR1000RR 1min 32.623s

4. Max Neukirchner GER Alstare Suzuki GSX-R 1000K9 1min 32.673s

5. Yukio Kagayama JPN Alstare Suzuki GSX-R 1000K9 1min 32.704s

6. Shinya Nakano JPN Aprilia Racing RSV-4 1min 32.928s

7. Michel Fabrizio ITA Ducati Xerox 1098R 1min 32.932s

8. Ben Spies USA Yamaha Italia YZF R1 1min 32.939s

9. Tom Sykes GBR Yamaha Italia YZF R1 1min 32.971s

10. Ryuichi Kiyonari JPN Ten Kate Honda CBR1000RR 1min 32.991s

11. Max Biaggi ITA Aprilia Racing RSV-4 1min 32.995s

12. Regis Laconi FRA DFX Corse Ducati 1098R 1min 33.202s

13. Roberto Rolfo ITA Stiggy Motorsport Honda CBR1000RR 1min 33.206s

14. Carlos Checa ESP HANNspree Ten Kate Honda CBR1000RR 1min 33.224s

15. Shane Byrne GBR Sterilgarda Ducati 1098R 1min 33.317s

16. Troy Corser AUS BMW Motorrad S1000RR 1min 33.377s

17. Jonathan Rea GBR HANNspree Ten Kate Honda CBR1000RR 1min 33.418s

18. Makoto Tamada JPN Kawasaki SRT ZX-10R 1min 33.709s

19. Broc Parkes AUS Kawasaki SRT ZX-0R 1min 33.911s

20. Ruben Xaus ESP BMW Motorrad S1000RR 1min 34.080s

21. Tommy Hill GBR HANNspree Althea Honda CBR1000RR 1min 34.123s

22. David Salom ESP Team Pedercini Kawasaki ZX-10R 1min 34.487s

23. Brendan Roberts AUS Guandalini Racing Ducati 1098R 1min 34.123s

24. Karl Muggeridge AUS Celani Suzuki GSX-R1000 1min 35.716s

25. Luca Scassa ITA Team Pedercini Kawasaki ZX-10R 1min 35.759s

26. Vittorio Iannuzzo ITA SCI Honda CBR1000RR 1mins 36.103s

27. Matteo Baiocco ITA PSG-1 Kawasaki ZX-10R 1min 36.514s

28. Ayrton Badovini ITA PSG-1 Kawasaki ZX-10R 1min 37.127s
It's great to see so many familiar names again. Tamada, Muggeridge, Corser and Haga etc. I can't wait for the races, this looks like the first year since about 2000 that I'm actually interested in. Nothing will beat the 96 - 99 era, but this might come close to matching.

I suppose this is a good time for me to plug my website too. Documenting the World Superbike series from 1990 to 1999, with race reports, videos, complete results and entry lists and more. Visit www.wsb-archives.co.uk (still under construction but a fair bit of info is there).
Very nice, only thing I dont like about the site, is the fact I cant see all the side menu options because I have a small browser window (low profile in work surfing )
I have basically no idea how to make a web site so it's not at all professional. It's pretty much just a template from Dreamweaver with the buttons I made in Photoshop! Glad you like it though, things are steadily progressing. I have the live Sky Sports coverage of every race from 1993 to 1999, bar one, and that's all being uploaded to YouTube. Fingers crossed that copyright claims don't bring it down.
Top 20 go to superpole iirc, which should be entertaining, so I wouldn't read too much into those qualifying times.
Top 16 I believe sinbad
I think they changed it for this year. Used to be that the top 16 each did a single flying lap, but now I think the top 20 go into a series of knockout sessions like Formula One.
I am prepared to be proven wrong, but I am under the impression its still a top 16 superpole (flying lap) system this year.
Quote from danowat :I am prepared to be proven wrong, but I am under the impression its still a top 16 superpole (flying lap) system this year.

Would be nice if it was, I liked that system (even if it was just made for TV).

World Superbike 2009
(68 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG