The online racing simulator
Another few questions
(14 posts, started )
Another few questions
Hi,

I was wondering what is the fastest way to start!! full throttle or shift from neutral to first gear?

Another thing, when i spec a driver i get the feeling that some drivers are braking with there left feet? Is this the way to get a good lap or is that wrong?

In real driving NEVER brake with the left feet?

What are your thoughts?

thanks

Oh yes i use a Logitech G25
You should start in first gear and holding clutch. When green lights appear, release clutch. It's the fastest way to start.
If you have only 2 pedals like me, then it's normal to brake with your left feet.
Dunno 'bout real like, don't have the license yet.
Hope I helped you.
#3 - amp88
Quote from Dirk Cleiren :I was wondering what is the fastest way to start!! full throttle or shift from neutral to first gear?

Depends on the car. XRG, for example, is quickest with full throttle but FO8 requires quite delicate throttle control for the optimal launch. If you want to do some testing go to the drag strip (Single Player -> Autocross -> Drag Strip) then measure your times using different throttle levels in different cars.

Quote from Dirk Cleiren :Another thing, when i spec a driver i get the feeling that some drivers are braking with there left feet? Is this the way to get a good lap or is that wrong?

Left foot braking is a fairly common technique in racing. Using the left foot to brake rather than the right has a few advantages. There's no delay in moving your foot from brake to accelerator (or vice versa) and you can use the brake to balance the car in the middle of the corner (shifting dynamic weight distribution).

Quote from Dirk Cleiren :In real driving NEVER brake with the left feet?

Some people who drive cars with automatic transmissions use the left foot to brake in road cars. It can decrease the stopping distance in an emergency situation (no need to transfer foot from accelerator to brake). I have also read of advanced driving instructors teaching students to keep their left foot poised over the brake pedal in town to prepare for an emergency stop, but I don't imagine that's widespread. However, most people wouldn't use the left foot to brake on the roads.
Thanks for the tips, anyway braking with the left feet in real life is extremely dangeroes and i thought this was a real life sim so i dont understand why everyone is braking with the left feet.

And hey how is Croatia? im comming this summer to your country any tips?
#5 - amp88
Quote from Dirk Cleiren :Thanks for the tips, anyway braking with the left feet in real life is extremely dangeroes and i thought this was a real life sim so i dont understand why everyone is braking with the left feet.

Why do you think braking with the left foot is extremely dangerous in real life?
I also think the fastest starts are when releasing clutch and simultainisly flooring gas as lights change green, not holding gas down then releasing clutch, but I use clutch pedal.

As for left foot braking, Its totally personal preference, some fast drivers do and some don't, some drivers use both left and right foot braking during the same lap, as some corners need a shift and some don't
Its interesting that on some tracks/turns you can keep the car more stable when slowing by a small amount by keeping the gas on hard and dabbing some brake at the same time, than using the release/reapply gas technique.

In a real life car its not reccomended to LFB, if you are used to using that foot for just the clutch, then you will get a big shock (and maybe lose control) the first time you try it, but some drivers do LFB all the time, I know a woman who drives an auto Merc and she uses left foot stop, right foot go

SD.
Quote from Dirk Cleiren :anyway braking with the left feet in real life is extremely dangeroes and i thought this was a real life sim so i dont understand why everyone is braking with the left feet.

Because left foot braking isn't dangerous if done properly, and can help maintaining proper balance through a corner.
#8 - Zay
I also use a G25, and when I am not in shifter mode I use right foot for the gas and left for the brake, and yes, It is faster, as there is no delay when going from gas to brake or brake to gas. I developed the habit in karting, but its not so bad, as you are faster doing it this way.

zay
Left foot braking takes some time to get used to, but it's not what I'd call dangerous or anything. Dirk, it's still the same brake pedal you're pressing. Whether you do it with your left or right foot doesn't matter. Just apply the correct pressure and you'll be fine.
I only left foot brake when I don't have to downshift/clutch/rev match. Some drivers start off with the left foot, switch to the right foot to heel-and-toe, then go back to the left foot for the brake release and trail brake into the corner, but this upsets my braking too much to be of any use. You'd be really surprised how much braking distance you lose by heel-and-toeing (you lose modulation and in many cases come off the brake a bit), so doing all that shifting around will even further impact it. It only really works when you have a wide brake pedal that can fit 2 shoes.

I find I'm better at trail braking with my left foot. Probably from all that karting. I don't ever use my left foot for braking road cars, because it's not tuned that way, and I don't want to lose the racing "tune" I have on it.
hey guys thanks alot
I'm also owner of G25 wheel controller, and I was prefered also right foot braking at beginnig as in real street car. But after more practices, and learning and reading about racing technique, now I'm using the all combinations as it is possible. If I'm driving 3 pedal car, I'm using clutch, and standardly braking with right foot, but I'm always ready to brake with left foot if it is necessary, according to situation. When I'm driving 2 pedals car (as GTR with sequential shifter or formula), then I'm standardly braking with left foot. But this all need more racing experiences, and practices. It is not possible to do perfectly at first time.
I'm racing with more configurations (street cars, GTR, formula, manual H-shifter or sequential, with or without clutch), then I have tuned my racing cockpit for settings to all these configurations.
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_nAuME7_f ... Kig/11112009%28007%29.jpg
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_nAuME7_f ... EN0/04112009%28003%29.jpg
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_nAuME7_f ... lRI/18092009%28001%29.jpg
Here in last photo, I can slide the pedal set to left or right side for ideal position for street cars and also for formula without clutch. For reason, always the used pedals must be centered. If I'm using 3 pedals configuration with clutch (street car), it have standard position as in street cars. If i'm using 2 pedals configuration (GTR or formula with sequential shifter), then slide pedals to left side (centered must be brake and throttle).
Shifter is also movable. Sequential is UP close to wheel as in racing cars. H-shifter is DOWN, close to seat and handbrake as in street cars.
Left foot braking is and advanced driving technique which is discouraged by driving instructors with reference to new drivers because new drivers often panic when faced with an emergency and may depress both the brake and gas at the same time. Here in the US drivers training is usually performed in a car with an automatic transmission and thus we are taught to only use our right foot to drive to avoid the above mentioned situation. So yes under normal street driving for 99% of the population left foot braking is a bad idea. On a track it's a different situation entirely.
Ok thanks everybody

Another few questions
(14 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG