The online racing simulator
What kind of Wii controller component company doesn't paint the end of the Wii "gun" orange? I mean, if it was, the girl could've easily identified the Wii gun as having a red tip, and would have never messed with the gun in the first place. I agree that the guy is retarded for having a LOADED gun in the living room. We have a loaded pistol on the top floor of our closet, but you have to unlock the trigger lock, cock it, and the first 3 rounds are blanks.
Nice...
Quote from SidiousX :What kind of Wii controller component company doesn't paint the end of the Wii "gun" orange? I mean, if it was, the girl could've easily identified the Wii gun as having a red tip, and would have never messed with the gun in the first place.

Indeed. I'm sure this girl would have inspected the gun without picking it up (went off when she grabbed it from the table) first to check for a red tip.

You have a lot of faith in what a 3 year old is capable of doing.

Quote :We have a loaded pistol on the top floor of our closet, but you have to unlock the trigger lock, cock it, and the first 3 rounds are blanks.

What purpose does having a gun sit on the top shelf loaded but with a trigger lock and the first 3 rounds blank? Why not have it unloaded with the clip and bullets located in another part of the house?
Quote from mrodgers :What purpose does having a gun sit on the top shelf loaded but with a trigger lock and the first 3 rounds blank? Why not have it unloaded with the clip and bullets located in another part of the house?

If someone breaks in, you can quickly grab the thing and start firing at the person. If the 3 blanks did not scare him off, give him a taste of a real one.
How come the stupid Wii gun isn't white? All OTHER peripherals are white but they've made a gun black?? Wtf?
That's what I was thinking, but there is a black Wii now though :S
Quote from mrodgers :Indeed. I'm sure this girl would have inspected the gun without picking it up (went off when she grabbed it from the table) first to check for a red tip.

You have a lot of faith in what a 3 year old is capable of doing.

What purpose does having a gun sit on the top shelf loaded but with a trigger lock and the first 3 rounds blank? Why not have it unloaded with the clip and bullets located in another part of the house?

It has been proven that children respond well to colors(especially bright colors). When I was little, I was aware that fake guns had blaze orange on the tip.

Safety, granted, we don't use the gun lock unless there are children in the house(the youngest person living here is 16(my sister) and she knows how to handle firearms, safety, etc) This may sound a bit paranoidish, but if there's armed intruders in your house, and you run to get your firearm, and the ammo is in another part of the house, it's not much use if deadly force is needed. The blanks just give you an extra layer of safety (accidental firings, etc) and like somebody said, could scare an intruder. I also have a rifle in my room with ammo nearby, like I would ever have to use it, but it's there just in case. (and yes it's locked)

Quote from Alex_Ward :That's what I was thinking, but there is a black Wii now though :S

No, but they sell black Wii controllers, which makes sense when you see the black gun, but seriously, the company should be punished. If I recall, it's illegal to NOT have blaze orange on the tip of a toy firearm.

EDIT: nevermind, apparantly they do make black Wiis, just not in the USA, my bad.
Maybe it's some fake chinese WII gun, but still, kill the parents, for instance, the stepfather was sleeping when he had a loaded gun in he's house and he heard a intruder before...
Such things will happen if you have weapons lying around.
Quote from SidiousX :

But seriously, the company should be punished. If I recall, it's illegal to NOT have blaze orange on the tip of a toy firearm.

Lmao it's not the companies fault that the father left a loaded gun on the living room table..
Whatever company (maybe not Nintendo) that made that controller should get their pants sued off them. It didn't need to be black, and it certainly needed an orange tip. I remember being small, and that was the first thing I always looked for on my friend's fake guns.

Still, I don't know about a three year-old...that's kind of in the grey area for being able to understand what a gun actually is, and what the orange tip means. 2, certainly not. at 4 or 5, I would expect the children to know the difference.

accidental deaths will happen every so often when there are guns in households, usually because people are stupid. like these parents. They probably should get some kind of punishment for negligence, but I wouldn't be surprised if there is some legal loophole they slide through.

Guns will never be abolished in the USA, the only way to cut down on deaths like this is to somehow make sure people follow appropriate safety procedures. These can vary based upon who is in household and how trained in the use of guns they are.
Heu??

Isn't a gun too heavy for a 3 year old girl?
And I can't imagine her having the strenght to pull the trigger.
Quote from samforey12345 :Lmao it's not the companies fault that the father left a loaded gun on the living room table..

well, no, not that bit...but...

it IS their fault. Airsoft guns for instance carry this label:

"As required by Federal Law this Airsoft gun is sold with at least a 1/4 orange tip. It is illegal to remove the orange tip. Removing or painting over the orange tip will void your warranty."

unless it was removed by the parents, the company broke a law. if the parents removed it, they broke a law.

that orange tip is there specifically to stop accidents like this from happening. it's so you can tell the difference between a real gun and a fake one.
i really dont know what else to say other than only in america
horrible story of course but really what did he expect to happen when he left a loaded gun laying around within reach of a 3 year old?

Quote from mrodgers :And this would work if it had been the parent who left the gun out that got shot. Can't expect a 3 year old to know what a gun is, so natural selection isn't the case here.

that would be true if intelligence wasnt inherited but it is... at least to some degree

Quote from thisnameistaken :No criminal charges? The parents must be guilty of something, surely?

as of yet stupidity while contagious isnt criminal
i suppose you could find some charge of negligence but i dont think any of those are criminal charges unless youre actively doing something that leads to someones death
Quote from RiseAgainstMe! :yes, it is.

How exactly would an orange tip on the wii-gun prevent the father from putting a loaded gun on a table in reach of the 3yr old? It's not the companies fault.

And as I said before, there is no game suitable for a 3yr old that requires a gun controller, there is absolutely no reason why a 3yr old would play with any gun, real or toy.
Quote from morpha :How exactly would an orange tip on the wii-gun prevent the father from putting a loaded gun on a table in reach of the 3yr old? It's not the companies fault.

And as I said before, there is no game suitable for a 3yr old that requires a gun controller, there is absolutely no reason why a 3yr old would play with any gun, real or toy.

sorry, I misread what he had said, i fixed it.

Quote from Shotglass :as of yet stupidity while contagious isnt criminal
i suppose you could find some charge of negligence but i dont think any of those are criminal charges unless youre actively doing something that leads to someones death

I would argue that this is negligence, they failed to take adequate safety precautions, and someone who is supposed to be in their care got injured. That falls under negligence in US law to the best of my understanding. The problem with negligence is there is a lot of grey area though, it might be very tough to get a conviction in court. I believe it could fall under murder charges possibly too, but I'm not sure exactly what degree and whether they would be able to make the charges stick.

I'm not a lawyer, though, so it will be interesting to see what happens.
Quote :We have a loaded pistol on the top floor of our closet, but you have to unlock the trigger lock, cock it, and the first 3 rounds are blanks.

A 3 year old shooting themselves with blanks will still die.

-*-

I accept that some parents are so blasse about violence and age certificates that they'll teach a 3 year old to shoot commies with a gunlike controller.

I accept that some people feel more comfortable with a weapon when they hear a prowler.

I even accept that the husband may have left the gun out when he returned to bed so that his wife could defend herself if there was a prowler.

But I absolutely refuse to believe that it was left loaded, cocked, and with the safety catch off - and that a 3 year old knew enough about guns despite only have used a game controller to arm the gun.

I would be very interested to read the officers notes on this one once the dust settles, because i'll be very suprised if this isn't murder.
Quote from SidiousX :It has been proven that children respond well to colors(especially bright colors). When I was little, I was aware that fake guns had blaze orange on the tip.

Safety, granted, we don't use the gun lock unless there are children in the house(the youngest person living here is 16(my sister) and she knows how to handle firearms, safety, etc) This may sound a bit paranoidish, but if there's armed intruders in your house, and you run to get your firearm, and the ammo is in another part of the house, it's not much use if deadly force is needed. The blanks just give you an extra layer of safety (accidental firings, etc) and like somebody said, could scare an intruder. I also have a rifle in my room with ammo nearby, like I would ever have to use it, but it's there just in case. (and yes it's locked)

No, but they sell black Wii controllers, which makes sense when you see the black gun, but seriously, the company should be punished. If I recall, it's illegal to NOT have blaze orange on the tip of a toy firearm.

EDIT: nevermind, apparantly they do make black Wiis, just not in the USA, my bad.

It looks like that's USA. House full of weapons. In a year or two, everyone will have a rocket launcher, and in few more years, everyone will have nuclear missile...
Quote from matijapkc :It looks like that's USA. House full of weapons. In a year or two, everyone will have a rocket launcher, and in few more years, everyone will have nuclear missile...

no, there are restrictions on what type of weapons you can own. Rocket launchers are certainly illegal for civilians. There is a ban on weapons classified as 'assault weapons' too, just look up the US assault weapon ban if you are interested in it's contents.

The house full of weapons bit, yes. It is our culture from the very beginning of our nation. The reasoning being that if civilians own weapons, they are not subject to oppression via someone who has a gun. It stems from that little Revolution thing we had from the British government and it's soldiers. The vast majority of our soldiers were civilians who had guns, and were able to throw off the oppressor. It is written in our Constitution as a fundamental right for civilians to have guns, and is seen as a defense of freedom, whether from criminals, a foreign power, or even our own government.
Quote from matijapkc :It looks like that's USA. House full of weapons. In a year or two, everyone will have a rocket launcher, and in few more years, everyone will have nuclear missile...

This is a bazooka, see? And you just pick this up like this. It's-it's-it's-it's kind of heavy. But I figured if I couldn't pick it up, I need to have it.
Why would you need a bazooka?
Well, sometimes you gotta take out stuff like a bus or a building, or a *bunch* of muh****as.
Do you worry that you have a lot of enemies, more than the average guy?
So what you tryin' to say? You tryin' to say that I'm, like, paranoid 'n stuff? Do I look like the kind of person that would be paranoid? I mean, when you rollin' with THIS, would *you* be paranoid?
yh but you can still have a mini-gun
RiseAgainstMe! , I thought your constitution said you could hold arms as long as you didn't have a standing army? I might be wrong.

Nigel.
Quote from NigelY :RiseAgainstMe! , I thought your constitution said you could hold arms as long as you didn't have a standing army? I might be wrong.

Nigel.

The second amendment:
"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

It says nothing about a standing army in reference to this to the best of my knowledge.

However, It can be argued that because of our standing army, that there is no need for this amendment anymore. But then there is no protection from our own military.
Quote from RiseAgainstMe! :It is written in our Constitution as a fundamental right for civilians to have guns, and is seen as a defense of freedom, whether from criminals, a foreign power, or even our own government.

And that's why there's not, and never has been any oppression, crime or corruption in the USA. Ever. All thanks to guns.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG