The online racing simulator
Why i need to release the gaz pedal to shift ?? (sequential)
hi guys!!

Well, I'M sure something is wrong. When i use a cars with sequential shifting, i need to release the gaz pedal to shift. The "automatic clutch" option is set to on so, i dont understand

I mean, i dont think, F1 driver release the gaz before shifting right??

Is it a bug with my setup controller?
does that happen to all the cars, or just the FBM? i know you have to lift with the FBM, but the other cars should shift okay.
This is only in FBM and MRT, I think.
#4 - STF
Sequential gearboxes need a "zero load" moment to engage the next gear so to speak.
You do that either by lifting throttle, ignition cut or.. you use the clutch to flatshift.
FBM and MRT do not have ignition cut systems. What annoys me is that you have to lift to shift down in the cars with ignition cut.
It is in several cars and is not a fault. The FO8 is another one that will not shift down without engaging the clutch or lifting... I don't think the XRR does either.
The OP was talking about upshifts in vehicles without ignition cut.
I think the ignition cut should cut regardless of the throttle position, I don't have any real world experience to back this up but though.
I can understand with the MRT

but it does this with Formula 1 too! i dont think i real life they release gaz??
sorry for my newbie question again

but what car you are referring as FBM??? Formula BMW???
unless we are misunderstanding each other with our English, when you say "Formula One" do you mean the BF1? the car in the very bottom right corner of the selection screen? Because you should be able to shift up and down with your foot on the gas in that.

I am rubbish with wheels and pedals but if you can't perhaps it is something to do with debounce settings and the game isn't registering what you have done.

I may be talking complete nonsense, if I am sure somebody will correct and put you in the right direction
You can downshift under power in the BF1 because of its autoclutch which is really only there to simulate the anti-stall. The BF1 is the only car where autoclutch cannot be disabled.

My point is, the ignition cut should allow downshifting under power just the same as it allows upshifting.
Quote from SmegFirk :unless we are misunderstanding each other with our English, when you say "Formula One" do you mean the BF1? the car in the very bottom right corner of the selection screen? Because you should be able to shift up and down with your foot on the gas in that.

I am rubbish with wheels and pedals but if you can't perhaps it is something to do with debounce settings and the game isn't registering what you have done.

I may be talking complete nonsense, if I am sure somebody will correct and put you in the right direction

Yes, i'm referring to the BMW sauber as a Formula one.. When i tried this car yesterday, i had to release throttle to shift, exactly like when i use the little MRT.. So, its a bug!?" humm

is the FBM the BWM sauber you are referring to?
Quote from fortress66 :Yes, i'm referring to the BMW sauber as a Formula one.. When i tried this car yesterday, i had to release throttle to shift, exactly like when i use the little MRT.. So, its a bug!?" humm

is the FBM the BWM sauber you are referring to?

It's very weird... you don't have to release the throttle to shift with the F1 car.
It's only with MRT, and Formula BMW, because there is no ingnition cut.

That's weird...
humm, maybe i did chose the FBM thinking it was the Real BWM F1 Car off the game

I'll need to check back tonigth
#16 - senn
IIRC isn't the MRT/FBM having to lift when shifting cos they both run what is essentially a motorbike gearbox? MRT i know runs a motorbike box (having to shift down from neutral)

IIRC the true sequentials in LFS don't allow you to shift with throttle application to protect the engine/box in case of over rev on downshift, or at least thats the way i'd always thought of it. *shrug*

But the Formula 1 car you shouldn't have to lift to shift, or use a manual clutch. sounds like you might have something set wrong in your controls or driver options..
Quote from senn :IIRC the true sequentials in LFS don't allow you to shift with throttle application to protect the engine/box in case of over rev on downshift, or at least thats the way i'd always thought of it. *shrug*

nononononononononono
its a completely mechanical thing and there is nothing to protect the gears
the simple problem is that its near impossible to disengage the dogs in any car with meaningful amounts of power unless you unload them

you can try yourself with any normal manual car (not advisable to willfully rag your geabox like that but thats not the point)
put it on a safe and empty road... plant the throttle on the floor and then try to pull the stick to neutral while the car is under full acceleration
if the car has any power you wont be able to do it or at least wont be able to do it without applying enough force to feel like youre breaking something in the linkage
#18 - senn
Quote from Shotglass :nononononononononono
its a completely mechanical thing and there is nothing to protect the gears
the simple problem is that its near impossible to disengage the dogs in any car with meaningful amounts of power unless you unload them

you can try yourself with any normal manual car (not advisable to willfully rag your geabox like that but thats not the point)
put it on a safe and empty road... plant the throttle on the floor and then try to pull the stick to neutral while the car is under full acceleration
if the car has any power you wont be able to do it or at least wont be able to do it without applying enough force to feel like youre breaking something in the linkage

Yeah i know its hard to disengage gears when they are under load. But being as most of thr true sequentials in LFS use ignition cut etc, you'd think they'd ignition cut on up AND downshifts, hence i thought it was a protection feature.
I'm sure I've seen a video of scawen driving a real fbm. Wouldn't he want to make it as real as possible?
Quote from menantoll :I'm sure I've seen a video of scawen driving a real fbm. Wouldn't he want to make it as real as possible?

The FBM doesn't have ignition cut, its transmission is simulated correctly. It's the vehicles with ignition cut that are not, in my opinion. They should allow downshifting under power. i.e. the ignition cut should be triggered by a shifting operation, no matter if down or up and regardless of the throttle position.
Quote from senn :Yeah i know its hard to disengage gears when they are under load. But being as most of thr true sequentials in LFS use ignition cut etc, you'd think they'd ignition cut on up AND downshifts, hence i thought it was a protection feature.

Ignition cut on a downshift means you cannot rev match. At least, not without putting the clutch in and waiting for the shift to complete.
#22 - senn
To be honest, i can't think of a reason you would want to downshift while under power in a race car, maybe on a road car, with a driver who has nfi how to keep an engine in the proper rev range, but in a race car where it spends most of it's time up the top of the rev range....dangerous..
Quote from senn :To be honest, i can't think of a reason you would want to downshift while under power in a race car, maybe on a road car, with a driver who has nfi how to keep an engine in the proper rev range, but in a race car where it spends most of it's time up the top of the rev range....dangerous..

In order to not to lock you rear tyres while reducing from 3th to 2nd, for example
Quote from senn :To be honest, i can't think of a reason you would want to downshift while under power in a race car, maybe on a road car, with a driver who has nfi how to keep an engine in the proper rev range, but in a race car where it spends most of it's time up the top of the rev range....dangerous..

I only have a mouse to control the car. So when I race the Forumula V8 I often use a higher gear than i normally would while cornering. Otherwise I can't keep down the accelerator in the corner without spinning out. As soon Im out of the corner I back shift down to increase the revs and the torque for acceleration. Not as elegant as a proper foot-operated accelerator, but it's the next best thing if you use a mouse and want to accelerate while cornering without too much torque.
Quote from Skagen :I only have a mouse to control the car. So when I race the Forumula V8 I often use a higher gear than i normally would while cornering. Otherwise I can't keep down the accelerator in the corner without spinning out. As soon Im out of the corner I back shift down to increase the revs and the torque for acceleration. Not as elegant as a proper foot-operated accelerator, but it's the next best thing if you use a mouse and want to accelerate while cornering without too much torque.

As an alternative, although in all honesty what works best for the individual is the way to go, you can reduce the button control rate as low as possible which makes the mouse button slightly less responsive and then you can tap tap tap through the corner in a lower gear keeping a fairly consistent rev. This is as close as a mouse driver can get to the pedal equivalent of 60% power for example.

However like I said, if your method works for you and you are fairly competitive, stick with it.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG