The online racing simulator
PNY Verto GF FX5200 128MB DDR vs ATi Radeon X800 PRO VIVO 256mb?
Which would be better? I'm running the ATi at the moment but it is really slow. Any suggestions?
-
(speedway) DELETED by speedway
People usually exagerate the effects of bottlenecking. In fact, it isn't that 'devastating'. I'm not particularly sure of the performance of the FX5200, but the X800 can be as fast and even faster than a 7600GT. I for one, was able to get LFS running @ 1080p maxed out with filters all on running ~90 FPS. X800 - Flash to a X850 XT =D. The FX5200 on the other hand is probably way inferior. My guestimate is around 2x. You will get more performance (maybe even 100% more) out of the FX5200. Couple that with a CPU that isn't like pre - millenium era, and you should be running LFS or any games in the last few years (DX9 era) at nominal resolutions (~1440 x 900) basically all on max.

It's a good card, but at what cost. Can you get something better for that price? A newer card for a newer technology, quiet, cool? Ofc, if you alrdy own the X800, then that isn't the problem. In such a case, kick that case open, remove the FX5200, and replace it with the X800. Damn! Those cards cost like a 5970 right now, when it was released!!!!
Those cards are so, so old (and if the prices on Google Shopping are accurate, an *utter, utter* ripoff - £200+ for a mid-range, 6 year old card?) Get a newer card and you'll get much better performance for a fraction of the cost.

Something like this: http://www.scan.co.uk/Products ... -DVI-I-D-Sub-plus-FarCry2

What CPU are you pairing this with?
I only wondered, as I have the 5200 sitting there doing nothing .

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG