The online racing simulator
#1 - Mogar
Position dependent force feedback for 900º wheels
Hello guys,

While driving with my g27 set to 900º rotation, LFS set to 900º rotation and wheel turn compensation to 1.00, condition that makes the actual wheel match the "virtual" wheel movements, I noticed the following:

If I go past the "virtual wheel" rotation with the actual wheel to correct an slide and I'm still oversteering, the force feedback continues to pull the wheel further away from the maximum "virtual" rotation. Once I stop to oversteer, I have to catch all the way I went further than the wheel actuates, and then start to catch up the car.

In reality, there would be something to stop the wheel from going further. Like if the wheel were set on profiler to the "virtual wheel" degrees of rotation. This can be annoying on cars like the formulas or mrt.

So, I suggest to make the force feedback position dependent, so if you go past the "virtual wheel" degrees of rotation, it tries to limit the wheel turn.
there is a soft stop at the ends of the wheel rotation, but if you're cranking the wheel like a mad man, then chances are you're going right past it and hitting the hard stop.
#3 - Mogar
Quote from bunder9999 :there is a soft stop at the ends of the wheel rotation, but if you're cranking the wheel like a mad man, then chances are you're going right past it and hitting the hard stop.

I'm not cranking the wheel. To get a better idea from what I am talking, here is an example:

If you set the wheel for 900º on profiler (that means 450º for each side), and pick a car on LFS with less degrees of rotation, like mrt, that has 240º of wheel rotation (120º for each side), and set on LFS that your wheel has 900º and set wheel turn compensation, the car's virtual wheel rotation matchs the controller wheel.

If you go past 120º for one side on the controller, there will be no action on the simulator (let's call it the inactive zone) although you can move the controller further without the simulator prevents you from doing that.

If you are oversteering on a corner to the right, you have steered the controller 200º to the left and the car continue oversteering, the force feedback continues pushing the wheel to the left, making you go further on the "inactive zone". Once the car snaps back, you have to turn the wheel back to the "active zone", and still turn it to the right position.

This condition simply doesn't make sense, since in the actual car you would have physical stops, that prevents the wheel from going past the maximum degree of rotations.

So what I'm suggesting is that the simulator's force feedback simulates the "physical" stops, so you can't turn further than the car's wheel degrees of rotation, eventhough the wheel is set to turn more. Like if the controller wheel was set on profiler to have the same degrees of rotation than the car you pick on LFS.
Well, it does simulate the physical stops, but the maximum force is low, so you can steer more.
LFS doesn't simulate softstops unfortunately, even though I think it would be really easy to do. But as always, Scawen's ways are mysterious...
Quote from Flame CZE :Well, it does simulate the physical stops, but the maximum force is low, so you can steer more.

No, it does not simulate the stops, like AndroidXP said. If you want to have soft stops you have to adjust your wheel's rotation settings in the Logitech Profiler. So for the road cars that would be 720°, for the GTR's 540° and so on. Those are easy to "override" because the force isn't high enough, which is probably what you and bunder were getting at but didn't explain properly.

If you leave your wheel at 900° like the OP you won't feel any stops until you hit the actual hard stops (ie. the end of the wheel's rotation).
i have profiler and lfs set to 900 and i feel stops at 720... they're just not that strong, and you can fly past them if you're not careful...
Oh, sorry then, I mistook it.
#9 - Mogar
Quote from bunder9999 :i have profiler and lfs set to 900 and i feel stops at 720... they're just not that strong, and you can fly past them if you're not careful...

Did you set on profiler to let the game change the wheel settings ? Are you using G25 or G27 ? That option I turned off due to recomendations I've seen here in the forum. And also, the FF should stop trying to make the wheel steer further after the stop.

I will try it this weekend if this option make any difference.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG