The online racing simulator
Quote from logitekg25 :i understand that

if it doesnt get me far (probably wont lol) i want to be an engineer

but does anyone know about legend cars compared to karts, not really sure what i want to race for the time being, other then cars which wont come for 2 years

Watch a few on-board video's on youtube and see for yourself.

Don't turn down the thought that it wont get anywhere, You might go out on the track and be the ultimate.
Atleast you still have potential as you haven't tried any form of motorsport yet.
If you choose not do karting it'll probably be your biggest regret. You won't find a professional racer anywhere that doesn't wax lyrical about their karting days - Senna/Schumacher/Hamilton - to name but a few. There's a reason why these dudes return to karting on a more than regular basis. The only way you can learn why they do is by doing it Karting was good enough for Senna to sight Terry Fullerton as the best driver he ever raced against.

It's the best fun and most awesome learning experience you can ever have in motorsport Don't miss out
ok, il prob (hopefully try karting) and see where that gets me

i will go to my local track and ask around, and see where i can go...i did research on legend cars, and its too far in between, its basically only in maine thats around me
funny and everything
Its almost amusing when you read treads titled like this. I suppose having a realistic view would stop anyone attempting it so call me the old fart...

Still, career? Forget it. The chances that you have the required money / talent / luck combination that make you one of the few hundred (tops!) paid drivers in the world are so slim, its not worth it.

The reality of racing for 99% who do so is that you need a decent job, and the spend most of the earnings on fixing the kart / the car. You often see people who stop doing it because its just so much work for a few hours of racing. Doing it alone is even harder, if you have family crazy enough to spend a few thousand a year and help you do a karting championship, but even for that, you're looking at quite a high initial cost, and every year things will break and you will have to travel to the venues. It requires money and people, both don't come cheap, unless you happen to have a rich family.

Most realistic might be doing something like the UK Club100 championship, where you don't own/maintain a kart. This is much more affordable, still not realistically so for a 14y/o (i.e. the need for rich parents or drug dealing comes in)..

Then if you show your talents in a series like that, who knows! If you ever do that though, you'd be a few years down the line and a few thousand pounds lighter (in money that is, if you weigh a few thousand pounds getting into racing is an even less wise decison)

Grumpy? Perhaps.. Realistic? I think sadly so!
If you've got the chops you'll find a way to make it. If you don't you won't. Simple as, just with everything else in life. Only way to know is to give it your all.

As far as requiring funds go it's just about perseverance. If you can take a thousand companies saying no before one says yes then you'll make it financially (obviously you have to be fast enough and/or marketable enough to keep the interest). But generally if you can't afford the first few rungs on your planned ladder then just race what you can and maybe something will happen to get you moved up the rungs. For instance, to get me to a level where I might be paid (might) in US tintop road racing, I'm looking at an expenditure of between half a million and 1 million dollars over the course of 6-8 years and possibly more. That's the hard way, and assuming I get no help, to propel myself through club racing, semi pro and starting pro levels. If I have to pay to race in say, Grand Am Rolex, I won't be competitive anyway.

There are a lot of drivers who've made it in US road racing without any cash. Randy Pobst I believe is one, Scott Pruett I know is another. Study them, emulate them, and you may attract the same people.

It's good not to look ahead too much, but you need an eventual goal. Where do you want to end up? That will give you the basic latticework for possible paths. But don't limit yourself. Sometimes you'll need to professionally drive something that you didn't expect. See Nelson Piquet and stock cars (though the professional bit is in question). "I want to end up in X, but I will drive the balls off anything" is probably the right attitude.

Generally Legends leads into dirt track and ovals. There are extremely few official lader systems in the US, but which crowd you hang out with will influence your networking and subsequent contacts and possibilities as a result. If you wanna go stock car racing, skip karts and get yourself on dirt tracks. If you wanna go road racing, go karting. IMO, Legends isn't the best starting point for either. They look like a blast, but there are just better options available from a developmental point of view. But there are no real universal bad choices - just ones that are slightly better for certain people. It's up to you to decide that for yourself. Could very well be that Legends is exactly what you need. Only way to know is to get your race license and do a test.

Also don't listen to people who say karting is useless for cars. It most definitely is not, provided you have a certain understanding of how to drive a kart. There's a reason why Skip Barber awards national seasons to karter qualifiers, and why Jim Russell's programs start in karts and lead to F3 cars. When I drove a car fast on a track for the first time, I found 80% of my karting knowledge directly applicable, and I was instantly fast. My butt was still being used just like in karting, the same smoothness was required, the same footwork and muscle memory was being utilized, and the same things applied with regard to mental attitude and what to do with your eyes. I see tons of kids come out of karting, get sayings like "cars are nothing like karts, a whole new ball game" drilled into their heads, and they psyche themselves out and end up slow, because they're looking for differences that aren't there.

Meanwhile, institutions like Jim Russell and Skip Barber are consistently able to pluck drivers out of karts and into cars with great results. You won't hear any instructor in either school telling people that cars are vastly different - in fact they encourage the similarities, which are numerous.
Karting and racing will cost you money. You won't make a career out of it, and you should go into it expecting to unless you are a) very rich and b) very young.

So skip the karting stage and go straight into cars - they are more fun (in my opinion), are much more complex (and hence you'll learn more as an engineer), and not much more expensive. You will also not have to explain to everyone that your hobby is racing 8 year olds, which could be a bit embarrassing.

If you were 8, had a lot of money, and wanted to become an F1 champion then I'd give you different advice - i.e. do not skip the karting stage. But you aren't, so why bother wasting lots of money in karts when you want to play in cars.

Me? I'm rubbish in karts. The solid axles, lack of suspension and rear axle braking only (in the vast majority of karts - I appreciate the some of the quicker ones are different) seems so backwards in comparison to car driving. Which is why good karters then have to learn how to drive and setup a car for 8 years before they are good enough to make money out of motorsport. FFord, FRenault, F3 etc aren't there just for shits and giggles, but to teach karters how it should be done in cars.
Tristan Cliffe "You will also not have to explain to everyone that your hobby is racing 8 year olds, which could be a bit embarrassing."

Current F1 WDC Jenson Button speaking at the Autosport show "Below Formula 1 the next best catagory for me was Formula Super A"

3x F1 WDC Ayrton Senna "I started racing go-karts. And I love karts. It's the most breath taking sport in the world. More than F1, indeed, I used to like it most."

(Most of the F1 and Indy and slowly the Nascar grid will echo Ayrton and Jenson as wel.> many of whom still continue to race karts)

So who do we listen to? hhmm.... I won't continue to argue on the validity of karting.. F1 teams and drivers and 90% of the professional driving world continue to do that for me so logitekg25 it's up to you man
I know I, and most of my racing comtemporaries, would be ashamed to admit they were karters when their age is in double figures.

For someone who has got to F1/Indycar/NASCAR then it might not be so embarrassing - they've 'made it'. But for someone who is paying quite a lot of money for a hobby, with no chance or desire of 'making it', then karts seem a little childish. It's like admitting you still play with dolls when you're 30 - not many would want to, let alone admit it.
Quote from tristancliffe :I know I, and most of my racing comtemporaries, would be ashamed to admit they were karters when their age is in double figures.

For someone who has got to F1/Indycar/NASCAR then it might not be so embarrassing - they've 'made it'. But for someone who is paying quite a lot of money for a hobby, with no chance or desire of 'making it', then karts seem a little childish. It's like admitting you still play with dolls when you're 30 - not many would want to, let alone admit it.

You must be winding me up Tristan because if you're not you're sounding more foolish by the minute. If you would be ashamed to do karting then you must have some weird ego problem. All forms of motor racing are childish!. There's nothing 'grown-up' about racing old second hand race cars for example.

If karting was such a shameful thing to do why would a certain Mr Schumacher put his reputation/body on the line to be beaten by a bunch of nobodies in Las Vegas? Now WHY would he do that if karting is so shameful??? Why would a Indy500 winner plan a full years karting in 2010? Now WHY would he do that if racing karts is so 'shameful'? In fact why would Schumi be invested in a company that pays grown men to race karts if it was so shameful?

This is just a pointless debate!
#62 - aoun
What the hell you on about?

Your compairing world champion formula one drivers to average joe car drivers.. settle grettle!

I love karting and close to everything about it. I dont care about apaearence or how things may sound not 1% but at the same time, and while thats on topic, id rather say to someone i race cars than go karts.. i have to explain for 20 mins to people what karting is like because when they say what sport to you play, i will say "i race karts".. (mind you, without a care in the world, dont get me wrong).. and their reply.. "is that even a sport with karts..?"

or sometimes ill say "i do motor racing".. and their reply is.. "oh wow thats awesome, what CAR do you race?"
me- "no i race karts"
them -"go karts? ......ohh ok........... ............... ................................ ......................... ........................... i best be off now, bye "

Not saying i care, or that it bugs me or anything. Hell, i just came off the track today got in just under 200 laps and the only reason why i left tonight is because i was the last and only one out on the track and they had to close...

Couldnt help but butt in guys.. i check the forums here and there and any racing topic i see TC talking bout how karting isnt the only form of motor racing and how you put karting up on the pedistool!

No hard feelings, not being rude..

Karting is intense, VERY hard and absolutely on the edge. I love it and im addicted more now that i got my new CRG. Theres 1000 things i could pro on racing. But karting is nothing compared to whats out there.. Ill back you up to whoever thinks karting is bullshit or easy or not as hard than cars. IMO, karting is alot more demanding then alot of levels... but karting isnt the only form, and theres some that are on the same level, if not, even better!
Quote from aoun :id rather say to someone i race cars than go karts.. i have to explain for 20 mins to people what karting is like because when they say what sport to you play, i will say "i race karts".. (mind you, without a care in the world, dont get me wrong).. and their reply.. "is that even a sport with karts..?"

or sometimes ill say "i do motor racing".. and their reply is.. "oh wow thats awesome, what CAR do you race?"
me- "no i race karts"
them -"go karts? ......ohh ok........... ............... ................................ ......................... ........................... i best be off now, bye "

This is only a real issue if someone have deep seated self-esteem issues. If someone comes to me and says "oh go-karts? I have raced those once at GP Karting!" I don't think 'oh know they must think I'm an idiot'. It's just another opportunity to give someone the chance to find out about karting. It's the same in all forms of sport. It's also awesome to see/drive a kart for the first time and have their perceptions absolutely obliterated.

Look at simulation racing for example. I can't tell you how many times I've had to describe to people that LFS isn't like Gran Turismo or need for speed. In the end I win most people over by not acting like some issue riddled loser who's ashamed of what they do. I think it's great karting isn't an exclusive motorsport. For sure hire/corporate karting is lame but most people start out as dumb-ass noobs! So what?

If someone chooses not to race/do something because they are worried about what someone might think in a pub someone they should quit now and do something else.
Or take up car racing, which doesn't need to be defended
Quote from tristancliffe :Or take up car racing, which doesn't need to be defended

"Wow you race cars? My mate dave yeeaah he has riced up his car like in need for speed. it's well quick like...turbos and everything. He took santa pod once and blitzed like all ther other cars yeaaah innit He's well good on forza too appaz it means like he'll be good in real life like"
#66 - aoun
Quote from Intrepid :This is only a real issue if someone have deep seated self-esteem issues. If someone comes to me and says "oh go-karts? I have raced those once at GP Karting!" I don't think 'oh know they must think I'm an idiot'. It's just another opportunity to give someone the chance to find out about karting. It's the same in all forms of sport. It's also awesome to see/drive a kart for the first time and have their perceptions absolutely obliterated.

Look at simulation racing for example. I can't tell you how many times I've had to describe to people that LFS isn't like Gran Turismo or need for speed. In the end I win most people over by not acting like some issue riddled loser who's ashamed of what they do. I think it's great karting isn't an exclusive motorsport. For sure hire/corporate karting is lame but most people start out as dumb-ass noobs! So what?

If someone chooses not to race/do something because they are worried about what someone might think in a pub someone they should quit now and do something else.

Mate, your missing my point.

All im trying to get at is i understand what TC is getting at. I dont give 2 ****s about what others think, AS I POSTED BEFORE.

Ignore the post then, ill modify it to "TC, you have a correct point there!" If that would make things easier.

Let me ask you a question.. Why do you back up karting and put it on such pedastool? (excuse my spelling)
Quote from aoun :Mate, your missing my point.

All im trying to get at is i understand what TC is getting at. I dont give 2 ****s about what others think, AS I POSTED BEFORE.

Ignore the post then, ill modify it to "TC, you have a correct point there!" If that would make things easier.

i was directly describing your position. i was describing the position of people who find it an issue hence the sentance

"This is only a real issue if someone has deep seated self-esteem issues"
#68 - aoun
Quote from Intrepid :i was directly describing your position. i was describing the position of people who find it an issue hence the sentance

"This is only a real issue if someone has deep seated self-esteem issues"

Fair enough, my wrong there.
Quote from aoun :Why do you back up karting and put it on such pedastool? (excuse my spelling)

Because apart from being the most direct, exhilarating, and pure driving experience (I am sure if Tristan drove a KZ his opinions would change pretty quickly ), karting represents one of the only motorsports where a normal guys like you and me can go toe to toe with the very best drivers on the planet. just look at all the top class drivers that raced last year and over the winter. You just don't get that in any other form of motorsport. The unification of drivers from dad and son teams to F1 world champions on the same track duking it out. That's why karting is special.. to me anyway
#70 - aoun
Quote from Intrepid :Because apart from being the most direct, exhilarating, and pure driving experience (I am sure if Tristan drove a KZ his opinions would change pretty quickly ), karting represents one of the only motorsports where a normal guys like you and me can go toe to toe with the very best drivers on the planet. just look at all the top class drivers that raced last year and over the winter. You just don't get that in any other form of motorsport. The unification of drivers from dad and son teams to F1 world champions on the same track duking it out. That's why karting is special.. to me anyway

Thats 100% true there. and well fair enough, thats to you.

To me, i agree with what you say just then about karting, but i rate alot more forms more than karting. ive sat in nearly any form except f1 and cars that havent been in australia and been taken for a drive in certain sedan cars. A v8 supercar is unbelievable for example. Edit i thought id add.. when A1gp first came to aussie, i walked around the pits and got the chance to sit in an a1gp car, not a copy or nothing, fully finished a1gp car, and when i sat in there i thought i was sitting on a kings chair in a castle . I sit in a go kart, i dont feel that!

Just being seated behind the wheel of a race car and knowing that you can control such madness, built so precise and taking a race car to the limit with 20 guys behind you, thats abit more special. Id choose TC's ride over karting any day! I dont care about physical demand, or the roughest competition out (as you do find in karting), or names or international bla bla.. just being in control of a race car is more special than anything.. Ill envy TC's carrer than any world champion karter anyday, and thats comming from a serious karter who wants nothing but kart championships in this current moment.
What kart series do you race in Oz btw?
#72 - aoun
Aka

Austalian karting accos.

What karting series are there over where you are/what do you race in?
Quote from aoun :Aka

The AKA is rather a large governing body with a lot of different stuff below it. What class/series I mean? Just out of interest
#74 - aoun
Quote from Intrepid :The AKA is rather a large governing body with a lot of stuff below it. What class/series I mean?

Didnt know what you mean. I run in rotax light. Not in national. Depending on money, hoping to race state this year. (NSW state cup)

Yourself?
Quote from aoun :Didnt know what you mean. I run in rotax light. Not in national. Depending on money, hoping to race state this year. (NSW state cup)

Yourself?

Rotax? No wonder you prefer the car stuff. Even I'd admit those things are lame Nowt special about the FR125 for sure. I can barely bring myself to call a Rotax MAX a kart

me? Take your pick! Setting up something for the summer with Formula A but like the look of some KZ stuff if I can get the chance this year,

starting racing career and karting
(136 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG