The online racing simulator
what exactly do you guys mean by pushing yourself? i really cant imagine how i would do that
#28 - XmaX
thanks, i see now.....getting in must suck the first few times

also...ok so back to the major parts, before i go out and price everything out, what do i look for in a place to race? more then one? what times of the year? what engine is cheap but good? what chassis? what do i need in a helmet (a cirtain amount of protection, or just weight, or comfort ) fireproof suit? how many races should i attend before buying a kart to race myself?
Quote from logitekg25 :thanks, i see now.....getting in must suck the first few times

also...ok so back to the major parts, before i go out and price everything out, what do i look for in a place to race? more then one? what times of the year? what engine is cheap but good? what chassis? what do i need in a helmet (a cirtain amount of protection, or just weight, or comfort ) fireproof suit? how many races should i attend before buying a kart to race myself?

There's no such thing as cheap but good. If something's good people race it, and when people race it it become expensive.

You can spend as little or as much as you want on any type of engine. For example 100cc direct drive a couiple of years ago had a reputation of being super expensive (they we raced at the top levels), and then they weren't raced anymore they became the cheapest form of karting. So complete opposite ends of the spectrum just because it wasn't raced anymore. The higher the competition and prestige the higher the cost. it's the same in all forms of sport.

Stuff like suits and that you can pick up at the track. A little infact is kart suits aren't fire proof. They are skin getting shredded proof. It's why the FIA don't allow car racers to use their suits in karting and visa versa.

I would say go to your local race meeting at least twice. Go on a practise day before a race day so you can talk to everyone in a relaxed environment.
ok, so recomend a good begginners engine and chassis i guess :d
Hi mate, I also going to start my racing career and karting this summer.

I will drive in a used 1998 TonyKart chassis(rather old:razz and a used KT100 engine. Actually my budget is very limit and racing in China is not cheaper than racing in US so I can only buy some used engine and chassis. In my opinion KT100 is a good engine to start, but I don't know if it is available in America.

Buy the best safety equipment at your budget, and make sure the helmet is tight. And please pay attention to the money for fuel, tyres, rebuild, etc, these money are no less than buying a kart.

Well i haven't involved in karting actually, i just get thoese information from a friend of mine, who is a racing driver, so i'm not sure if they are right. Ask the local racers or mechanic, and you can get the right information for your region. But be careful when you are asking the people who is going to sell you something, they can cheat you sometimes.
thanks mate, and i will get most of my kart buying advice from people at races, thats what i have learned, and safety will be no money saver, dont worry

i just have to find a local race
Over here in Holland you can use any suit you'd like Intrepid.
As long as it's at least FIA Level 1 Homologated.
Quote from Vinnylegends :Over here in Holland you can use any suit you'd like Intrepid.
As long as it's at least FIA Level 1 Homologated.

Are you sure it's not CIK-FIA Homologated Level 1? I presume if your not racing under the FIA you can do what the **** you want (rightly so), but the Dutch arm of the FIA surely wouldn't allow non CIK-FIA Homologated suits in their classes?
Quote from logitekg25 :ok, so recomend a good begginners engine and chassis i guess :d

Well I would estimate across the USA there must be 20-30 sprint kart classes. All with their own selling points. The reality is each track will have it's popuar classes so that's what you need to find. I gave you some links earlier. Those sites have links to forums with people that are more in tune with what's raced in your area
Yes I mean CIK-FIA.
Its only allowed to run Level 1 suits on club level, and on practice sessions of the Dutch Championship. When you race you need a Level 2 suit.
Quote from Vinnylegends :Yes I mean CIK-FIA.
Its only allowed to run Level 1 suits on club level, and on practice sessions of the Dutch Championship. When you race you need a Level 2 suit.

So it has to be a kart suit then.. not 'any suit' as you suggested The difference between a CIKFIA suit and an FIA suit are that CIK suits are not fire proof but skin proof whereas FIA suits are the opposite
#39 - Zay
I have 4 seasons of expirience, 3 championships, 1 rookie of the year, and all on a very limited budget. I'd say go for a used CRG chassis and a ROTAX junior 125cc engine(also used). And, I actually have never used a tachometre before on my steering wheel, so I wouldnt say you NEED one, but it can be good to know the info that is on them. Look for any kart clubs within 1-2 hours of your house, as you are just starting. I used to drive an hour but now im moving clubs to one that is about 2 and a half hours away. You have to be fit, very mentally ready and willing(if you see where I am getting at, can't think of right words), and some money. And, make sure that the kart you are buying has an exceptionall history.
Hope I helped

zay
^helpful post is very helpful^

ok, im going to look into those things, and find a place near me (after procrastination haha :razz
Quote from Zay :I have 4 seasons of expirience, 3 championships, 1 rookie of the year, and all on a very limited budget. I'd say go for a used CRG chassis and a ROTAX junior 125cc engine(also used). And, I actually have never used a tachometre before on my steering wheel, so I wouldnt say you NEED one, but it can be good to know the info that is on them. Look for any kart clubs within 1-2 hours of your house, as you are just starting. I used to drive an hour but now im moving clubs to one that is about 2 and a half hours away. You have to be fit, very mentally ready and willing(if you see where I am getting at, can't think of right words), and some money. And, make sure that the kart you are buying has an exceptionall history.
Hope I helped

zay

This is very bad advice Do NOT buy anything. For all you know your local track might not run Rotax karts and you'd be stuck with a useless lump of metal. Rotax is strong in Canada, but it doesn't mean it's strong everywhere else.

Go to a few club races first. logitekg25 where are you living currently? Let's see if we can find some local clubs.
i was going to anyways, but that was a nice push in the direction of asking about them
Ok people howabout legend racing? Anyone familiar with those?
Quote from logitekg25 :Ok people how about legend racing? Anyone familiar with those?

Good start to racing, Cheap format and also very competitive.

Starting off in a kart is good. Until you want to move up into some sort of Car.
Then all you have is a bit of track craft...
If your at the age where you can race a car, Its worth going into it now and testing for a bit until you get comfortable.

Pointless if your going to do karting for like 3 years then decide you want to go into legends (Or whatever).

Your choice.
Quote from Jordan2007 :Good start to racing, Cheap format and also very competitive.

Starting off in a kart is good. Until you want to move up into some sort of Car.
Then all you have is a bit of track craft...
If your at the age where you can race a car, Its worth going into it now and testing for a bit until you get comfortable.

Pointless if your going to do karting for like 3 years then decide you want to go into legends (Or whatever).

Your choice.

If all your learning from karting is track craft then you're doing it wrong.
Quote from Intrepid :If all your learning from karting is track craft then you're doing it wrong.

What else then? Overtaking in a car is nothing like a kart. Maybe slightly nearer to a single seater.
Im just curious, how old are you?
Most serious racers would of started their "Career" off already, thats not to say you wont make it, and im hoping you'll prove me wrong.
But just throwing it out their, im also no expert, but 5-10k seems like a solid number for anything decent to get you going.
if karting is not much like car racing, which is my goal in the end, then how about legend racing? how much to start off with those?
There's no cheap motorsport. Racing is probably the most financially draining hobby you could have. I'm building my modified at the moment, and I will probably only lose money from here on out. Amateur racing doesn't pay much of anything. To me that's good, because it, usually, keeps out the rich guys with the 100 grand cars. Just race for the passion and do it for fun. That's what really matters. If you make a career out of it, great, but don't let that put a huge weight on your shoulders, and take away from what racing is truly about.
i understand that

if it doesnt get me far (probably wont lol) i want to be an engineer

but does anyone know about legend cars compared to karts, not really sure what i want to race for the time being, other then cars which wont come for 2 years

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG